Film is film,

Finally, something that's been bothering me for a while...
I agree its "xxxx of film" not just "film" or "films"
I developed three rolls of film...
I developed five sheets of film...
I shot four types of film...
Let's get it right...people are watching what we do here...

I've heard that word filum before too. I just cannot remember where.

There was an episode of "The Three Stooges" where a Russian spy was trying to get some "filum" that (I think) Shemp had...
That's what I remember when I hear that word...:D

"Give me the Filum..."

Last edited:
Democracy, English, and the Wars over Usage by David Foster Wallace is an interesting article regarding that subject. Thought I'd throw that in.

Another question: is "I'd" a possible abbreviation for "I had"?

martin

Dear Martin,

Yes. Context normally separates "I would" ("I'd have thought...") and "I had" ("I realized that I'd forgotten..."). If context doesn't make the meaning clear, then probably the abbreviation is inappropriate.

Some object to all abbreviations and elisions. Tough. They've been around a long time and they're here to stay.

Cheers,

R.

This reminded me of "Nikon vs Naikon,"
"Summicron vs Zummicron" and "Voigtlander vs Foctlender." :D

funny, because Summicron is actually pronounced with a 'soft' S (in standard german, some southern dialects may vary) and Voigtländer is really more or less pronounced like you wrote it (for english readers): Fogtlender.

same problem for Rollei / Rolleiflex, it's RollEI not RollIE. Roll-EYE-flex, not Rolleeflex.

over and out, tsawoosh.

Dear Martin,

Yes. Context normally separates "I would" ("I'd have thought...") and "I had" ("I realized that I'd forgotten..."). If context doesn't make the meaning clear, then probably the abbreviation is inappropriate.

Some object to all abbreviations and elisions. Tough. They've been around a long time and they're here to stay.

Cheers,

R.

Hey Roger,

Thanks! I recently started reading J C Oates, and she really likes to abbreviate 'had'.

martin

"film photography, is a term applied to processes in which flexible films are used instead of glass plates" Woodbury 1890 per OED.

Filum is how film is pronounced in Ireland is it not?

"An icy gale..o'er the pool Breathes a blue film" Thomson 1726-46 also per OED seems to be talking about films' rendition of winter shadows.

"film photography, is a term applied to processes in which flexible films are used instead of glass plates" Woodbury 1890 per OED.

Filum is how film is pronounced in Ireland is it not?

No - its "FILIM" over here... "FILUM" sounds to English :)

Gary H

My late father in law said once that I was being pedantic but I see now it's possible to still be singular but at the same time to be part of a group of pedantics. Or should that be pedanticists?
The plural for "pedant" must obviously be "pedanti", since the plural of "stewardess" is "stewardi".

—Mitch/Bangkok
Shophouse Demolition

Last edited:
Back