Film is film,

kbg32

neo-romanticist
Local time
7:34 AM
not films. Film - singular and plural.

Just a simple quirk that irks me slightly. I know that English is not everyone's first language.

Cheers!

Dear Keith,

Eh?

I buy (or process) two films, not two film.

But then, English isn't your first language either. It's American. The two are similar but far from identical.

Cheers,

R.

Can you give us some citations? Several dictionaries that I've checked have films as the plural form of of film. Also "film" can be used for a strip of film, film as "movie," or casually short for rolls of film. I think, at least today, "films" is a forgivable usage.

I'm a Japanese in California so what do I know!? :p

Last edited:
Semi-Off-Topic: I recently got the impression there's a difference between exact, precise and accurate - is that true? In German we say "genau", works for us.

martin

Semi-Off-Topic: I recently got the impression there's a difference between exact, precise and accurate - is that true? In German we say "genau", works for us.

martin

Off-off-topic. At least in Japanese, we have different words for exact, precise and accurate.

Sorry, but even in American English the plural of 'film' is 'films', as in how many films did you see last year?

I process two rolls of film. Not films. The word rolls implies the plural aspect as well as the two.

I dont go to see a film , I got to the movies.
There are gears in a gearbox , I call it a trans or tranny (slang for transmission, not slides or transparencies)
Roger ,
I believe you are right about americans speaking a vastly different form of english, a dialect if you will .

Language is a subject that will always have people at odds , much like religion or politics.

Last edited:
No it's not. Gearboxes may have three, four, five or more gears. And 'equipments' may refer to a range of different things: check the OED.

Cheers,

R.

i don't think anyone is talking about gearboxes on this forum :rolleyes:

and i don't have the OED handy so maybe you could provide us with a sample sentence using "equipments" :p

i don't think anyone is talking about gearboxes on this forum :rolleyes:

and i don't have the OED handy so maybe you could provide us with a sample sentence using "equipments" :p

First: it's still a countable noun. Do not confuse one usage with a general rule.

Second: OED Second ed. Vol V p. 355 'Used in the pl. to indicate the articles severally, in the sing. collectively.'

Smeaton, 1793, 'To forward our equipments for rendering the house habitable'

Strutt, 1801, Sports and Pastimes, 'The hunting equipments of the female archers'

Act 36&37 Vict. (Act of Parliament) 1873, 'Equipments which are prima facie evidence of a Vessel being engaged in the Slave Trade'

Cheers,

R.

That implies you know the difference? When would you use which?

martin

Yes. Pretty much like German as Roland said. Sometimes they are interchangeable, other times they are not. And each english counterpart can be said differently based on the context.

First: it's still a countable noun. Do not confuse one usage with a general rule.

Second: OED Second ed. Vol V p. 355 'Used in the pl. to indicate the articles severally, in the sing. collectively.'

Smeaton, 1793, 'To forward our equipments for rendering the house habitable'

Strutt, 1801, Sports and Pastimes, 'The hunting equipments of the female archers'

Act 36&37 Vict. (Act of Parliament) 1873, 'Equipments which are prima facie evidence of a Vessel being engaged in the Slave Trade'

Cheers,

R.

haha yes, i should have been more specific :)

but gear, when used to mean one's photographic related equipment or stuff i.e the way its generally used on this forum, is never gears.

thanks for the "equipments" examples. i think the dates say it all ;)

Precise and accurate are two different items. A precise machine will repeatably perform the same task in nearly the same manner, with minimal standard deviation. A very precise rifle may group the shots within a 2x2 inch square at 100 yards, for example. However, this does not necessarily mean that it is accurate, as those well grouped shots may have missed the target of interest. An accurate device will hit the actual target, but need not be precise (i.e., it could spread shots all over the place [i.e. imprecise], but one of those shots may hit the bulls-eye [accurate]).

Exact refers to how small a tolerance you wish to have. Do you wish to know to 1 inch, or 1/1000 of an inch? If I were building a wooden fence, cutting wood to a tolerance within 1/2 an inch may be quite precise (if sometimes inaccurate). However, if I were cutting gears for a Leica, even 1/1000" tolerance would not be exact, precise, or accurate enough.

Back