Finally a FF mirrorless with RF form factor

It’s a pity the important controls (aperture, shutter speed, and ideally ISO) don’t have dedicated controls.

I don’t get why all modern digital cameras have, and appear to need, a dedicated SPAM dial taking up important real estate. I could think of better allocation for the space.

Unfortunately, this camera is designed for vloggers, despite its RF aesthetic. It's also lower specc'd and higher priced than my five year old A7RII. And the Sony menus seriously suck. They just fixed them with the A7SIII, but now they've released this camera with the old style menus. Why??

That said, I'm vaguely interested. But what I'm really looking for in a camera like this is physical controls for shutter speed and ISO, a non-swiveling LCD (is every camera just for vlogging now?), and a lens mount/sensor pushed as far back into the body as possible. I wish Fuji would just make a full frame camera, but I can't go back to a crop sensor. I should probably just get a used M240, because it doesn't look like Nikon, Canon, Fuji, or Sony are going to make a digital camera I'm going to be interested in using.

It’s a pity the important controls (aperture, shutter speed, and ideally ISO) don’t have dedicated controls.

I don’t get why all modern digital cameras have, and appear to need, a dedicated SPAM dial taking up important real estate. I could think of better allocation for the space.

Fuji have just gone the other way with teir new s10 or whatever it's called. PASM dial instead of the way their cameras usually hace dedicated dials. I would love to see a poll of users and what mode they shoot in, I would bet M mode would be a very small percentage.

Fuji have just gone the other way with teir new s10 or whatever it's called. PASM dial instead of the way their cameras usually hace dedicated dials. I would love to see a poll of users and what mode they shoot in, I would bet M mode would be a very small percentage.

If they could mimic the FM3a with aperture priority on the shutter dial that would be one issue sorted. An ‘A’ setting on the lens aperture ring would enable shutter speed priority.

The way of modern digitals makes me glad of my M240.

O eah, and digital RF camera price range. Two+ more expensive than small RP, where I'm.

If they could mimic the FM3a with aperture priority on the shutter dial that would be one issue sorted. An ‘A’ setting on the lens aperture ring would enable shutter speed priority.

The way of modern digitals makes me glad of my M240.

Fuji has already done this on all of their mid to high end cameras until the X-S10. Now they're joining the bandwagon making cameras for the Youtube talking heads to shout into. It's like an infinite feedback loop.

This camera is what I hoped Sony would make when I heard the first rumours of the A7 series, so I think it's a good thing, even if a bit late for me. I have owned an A7S and now own an A7III. If I was starting afresh, I'd buy one immediately.
John Mc

I like the form factor, but the loss of a control wheel, not so much. But given current Sony USA $500 discount on A7R4, I think I know where my money will be going.

Fuji has already done this on all of their mid to high end cameras until the X-S10. Now they're joining the bandwagon making cameras for the Youtube talking heads to shout into. It's like an infinite feedback loop.

Offtopic:

The big gripe I have with Fuji cameras is that, as much as I love the dedicated dials, there are just too many of them - without a simple way to "override" and organize all these parameters. Every time you have to change them one by one. So between the satisfying analog interface and the run-of-the-mill 4 Custom modes (C1, C2, C3, C4) of the X-S10, I much prefer the later. Finally no need to tweak like 3 dials, 1 switch and 2 buttons to adapt to a new shooting scenario (and tweak all of them again to change back). Just 1 click with the mode dial. Much faster.

It would be nice if they can keep both. In fact they may already have a way of doing it elegantly. The mid-level X-T and X-E cameras have this "Auto" lever beneath the shutter dial which with a nice click, can override all other settings to dumb the camera down to point & shoot. Imagine if they put a pair of C1 and C2 there instead...

uA8hmN.jpg

But they didn't.

Offtopic:

The big gripe I have with Fuji cameras is that, as much as I love the dedicated dials, there are just too many of them - without a simple way to "override" and organize all these parameters. Every time you have to change them one by one. So between the satisfying analog interface and the run-of-the-mill 4 Custom modes (C1, C2, C3, C4) of the X-S10, I much prefer the later. Finally no need to tweak like 3 dials, 1 switch and 2 buttons to adapt to a new shooting scenario (and tweak all of them again to change back). Just 1 click with the mode dial. Much faster.

It would be nice if they can keep both. In fact they may already have a way of doing it elegantly. The mid-level X-T and X-E cameras have this "Auto" lever beneath the shutter dial which with a nice click, can override all other settings to dumb the camera down to point & shoot. Imagine if they put a pair of C1 and C2 there instead...

But they didn't.

It depends how bad is camera's AE and how badly stuck in the past is camera operator.
Some still needs all of the dials to emulate their SLR from seventies only capabilities.

With modern cameras all is needed is quick selection of what you need (assuming you are understanding it)
Once this kind of advanced understanding is developed all of those fake analog dials are just fetish.
With DSLRs from early two thousands and with this new pricey little, same works. Switch it to AV mode and dial aperture, switch it to TV mode and use same dial for shutter speed.
I have zero problems to achieve result by only looking into VF of my 2009 DSLR or into 2020 EVF of FF mirrorless.
I could select all (ISO, aperture, shutter speed, exposure and flash compensation) just by looking into VF and manipulating of buttons and dials. Zero need, reason to have something written on those dials.

[...]
I could select all (ISO, aperture, shutter speed, exposure and flash compensation) just by looking into VF and manipulating of buttons and dials. Zero need, reason to have something written on those dials.
My vote goes to the camera with a clean viewfinder, devoid of distractions. It could be one of the reasons why the MA is desirable - to the initiated.

Unfortunately, this camera is designed for vloggers, despite its RF aesthetic. It's also lower specc'd and higher priced than my five year old A7RII.

That's not entirely true. I would imagine the AF is a lot better and the sensor is capable of use at higher ISOs.

It isn't for me though... either.

The mid-level X-T and X-E cameras have this "Auto" lever beneath the shutter dial which with a nice click, can override all other settings to dumb the camera down to point & shoot.

Uhmmm, set the shutter speed dial to A and the aperture ring to A and...

Any camera with a screen you can see from the front and with decent video specs is called a vlogger camera these days... like it can’t be used for other purposes.

Any camera with a screen you can see from the front and with decent video specs is called a vlogger camera these days... like it can’t be used for other purposes.

-removed custom function buttons
-removed front dial
-removed one card slot
-tiny EVF
-more expensive than A7III

alpha7c_4.png

Blerg.

Back