Finally a FF mirrorless with RF form factor

The tiny EVF and reviews that say glasses-wearers may have trouble seeing the whole frame are definite downsides.
The autofocus capability a big plus.
I have a Sony A7SII, which I like a lot, and I don’t find it too big, even though I grew up with OM bodies before digital when I moved to the Epson R-D1 and then M9.
Still, the form factor of the A7C is appealing.

It’s a pity the important controls (aperture, shutter speed, and ideally ISO) don’t have dedicated controls.

I don’t get why all modern digital cameras have, and appear to need, a dedicated SPAM dial taking up important real estate. I could think of better allocation for the space.

Agreed. SPAM is a huge waste of a dial in the best position. Make a tiny dial somewhere else for that if we must have it.

-removed custom function buttons
-removed front dial
-removed one card slot
-tiny EVF
-more expensive than A7III

alpha7c_4.png

Blerg.

Or you could look at it as the FF version of the a6x00 series and then they didn’t remove items or handicap it. The A7III was more expensive when released.

Except the viewfinder is so tiny! Is the one on the "regular" A7 so small? Or the a6000-series, for that matter.
The viewfinder magnification on the original A7 is 0.71x, for the A6000 it's 0.7x and for the A7c it's 0.59x.

But... magnification numbers aren't everything. When comparing the A7 and A6000 in practice, despite both being ca. 0.7x there's a world of difference; the A7 finder is much easier on the eye.

Many of the reviewers focus on the camera's video capabilities and improvements in the video realm: a new microphone set-up; unlimited video recording, and no overheating issues. All this said, it's not for me. For now, I am happy with my Fuji's. Cheers, OtL

Any camera with a screen you can see from the front and with decent video specs is called a vlogger camera these days... like it can’t be used for other purposes.

Thank you John for explaining what a vlogger camera is. Forward facing screen and a mic input too I guess.

I'd get one of these tomorrow. I love my A6000 and my A7. My dream would be an A7 in an A6000 body. But reduced hours working and no money is preventing it.

Still in a couple of years when they bring out a Mk3 version, I may be back in the market

Does anyone here actually own this camera yet? I handled one the other day, in fact, I'll likely purchase one. The EVF is surprisingly good for its size. Totally usable. I've been a Fuji user for the past 8 years, mostly because I travelled alot for editorial and Fuji saved weight. Now I'm shooting more architecture and need the larger sensor. Reviewers and others always mention the lack of a front wheel control and using your thumb for too many things as a major problem. I get that. But wouldn't there be a way to set-up this camera in a simple way, as if you were shooting a Leica, but different. And like one of the reviewers said in the dpreview review, the more you use it the better/easier it gets. (Not a direct quote).

Unfortunately, this camera is designed for vloggers, despite its RF aesthetic. It's also lower specc'd and higher priced than my five year old A7RII. And the Sony menus seriously suck. They just fixed them with the A7SIII, but now they've released this camera with the old style menus. Why??

That said, I'm vaguely interested. But what I'm really looking for in a camera like this is physical controls for shutter speed and ISO, a non-swiveling LCD (is every camera just for vlogging now?), and a lens mount/sensor pushed as far back into the body as possible. I wish Fuji would just make a full frame camera, but I can't go back to a crop sensor. I should probably just get a used M240, because it doesn't look like Nikon, Canon, Fuji, or Sony are going to make a digital camera I'm going to be interested in using.

Doesn't the Nikon Df cover that need?

I own a6000 & a6300 currently, and saw the a7c recently in a camera store window. was surprised how close the actual size was to its smaller sensor siblings. would be tempted about this camera, but currently not having much need for it. yes testing the EVF before the purchase would be a must, but if I can manage with a6000 then why not this as well :confused:

So, I bought this recently to use with the Sigma "i" series lenses... which have aperture rings. I actually really like the camera. The VF is small, but it is bright and extremely clear...and I can see the whole frame well with glasses. Non issue for me. I love the RF shaped bodies because I have to wear a hat in Chile due to cancer risks. It allows me to frame without it bumping into the brim of my hat all of the time. Beside that, I just prefer brick shaped cameras and VFs off to the side.

The body is small-ish and solid. Not Sigma Fp small, but very close. My only complaint is the guillotine sounding shutter that Sony tends to use in some cameras. The one dial complaint for me has been mitigated by me using these small Sigma lenses with aperture rings. I use the one dial for shutter speed. It has a dedicated exp-comp dial unlike the a6x00 series. It is also does have customizable buttons for those who said it didn’t.

It's no more of a vlogger camera than anything else out there whose screen can accommodate vloggers.

Any suggestions on how to set-up the A7c so that Sony lenses without aperture rings, (35mm 2.8 and 55mm 1.8) work well?

Well, by default you'd use the thumb wheel and the directional wheel (the one you use for navigating menus) for these functions. I can't think of any way to improve that on this camera.

The A7C is currently intriguing me because it has faster/better autofocus than the A7 III, better colours, no video recording limit, and has a smaller footprint. The lack of custom buttons and front control wheel does bug me a bit, but I don't use those things very often on the cameras that have them. I just got back from an interstate plane trip which impressed upon me the importance of packing light and small, and the A7C would make a decent stills and backup video camera.

24mp is the sweet spot of resolution at this time, given the cost of memory and current computer processing. The tracking autofocus of the A7C looks really good, and it would enable me to shoot action quite easily. It's probably better than the A7R III, although not as good as the A9 (which is out of my budget right now anyway).

Back