Finally! Nokton 50/1.5 in M-mount

Strange. My copy has no (noticable) focus shift whatsoever.

@papercut I don't seem to notice any focus shift either. My pool police image was shot at f2 and focus is accurate. Are you sure it wasn't your body?

Yeah, I thought it was strange too. Once I got several shots with eyes not in focus, but tip of nose sharp, I tested it (on tripod, with ruler) twice on two different bodies. (Four tests total.) (Both bodies hit focus with a Canon 50/1.4 perfectly.) Same result every time. Chalking it up to sample variation.

I might try another copy sometime in the future as I really liked how the lens rendered. If I do, I will get the black next time around as I found the numbers on the chrome lens impossible to read under a couple different lighting conditions (too dim or too bright both made the numbers disappear with my middle-aged eyes).

...If I do, I will get the black next time around as I found the numbers on the chrome lens impossible to read under a couple different lighting conditions (too dim or too bright both made the numbers disappear with my middle-aged eyes).

I find the same, it's not just you. Wondering what color I could replace the black with that would show better but can't figure it out.

Not a bad idea. I find them in general hard to see. I almost wish they went with a bit heavier weight on the typeface they used. Would give a bolder number which would be easier to see.

I'm really liking the tmax erik. Scans with so much tonal range that it gives you a lot more range to play with it afterwards.

I'm also wet printing from the tmax and its also quite good, but I'm far from an expert when it comes to wet printing always learning.

I just found a mint one in black at Photo Village in NY. I wanted a fifty faster then my Summicron and at the price asked I could not resist. I gave serious thought to the 50f1.1 Nokton but I already have a 35f1.2 and since the lens will be paired primarily with my M5 for travel, I decided to go with a lighter lens.

From all accounts, it can run with the Summilux at a fraction of the cost. Like I posted on another forum, I like working lenses and the cost of modern Leica lenses puts them in the category of jewelry.

I just got the lens today. I am impressed at the smoothness of the focusing and its weight. It is much lighter then my 50 Summicron (latest version) in chrome. It will be living on my M5 for a trip to Mexico City.

The original shade is very unpleasant in use. Try to find something like this. Feels much nicer and doesn't cut off much from the image in the viewfinder.

Erik.

9267176225_5e8ddf46e2.jpg

I searched high and low for a hood like this when I saw Erik's hood. No luck back then...

Last week I accidentally found it on eBay. I bought one and it arrived today. I see one is still available.

(No connection to the seller, of course!)

But to stay on topic...

I got this lens and the 35 1.7 about 2 weeks ago. Love them. My focus ring (and aperture) are super stiff. Do these tend to loosen up at all. I'm tempted to send it back for exchange.

After checking out this lens for a long time, and looking at a used summilux 50 I finally decided to go for it. I just could not justify the 4 time price difference. I'm very happy that I went for the "cheap option". I bought the black version and I must say it doesn't feel cheap at all. The build is excellent, no less that the 2 leica lenses I own, and I have no problem with the ergonomics as some people have reported. In short, I'm very happy with my decision.

This shot was made on a M240

Back