Flickr bought by SmugMug

Steve M.

Mentor
Local time
8:33 PM
Whilst surfing the daily newspapers for the recent (and seemingly continuous) Enquirer like news of what is happening in Wash D.C., I stumbled upon this little story in USA Today about SmugMug buying Flickr. I don't use either, but as a former member of Photobucket, I am still seething mad at how all of my photos were deleted when I refused to pony up the $400 extortion money they suddenly demanded.

Hopefully all will go well w/ this new buyout, but it might be prudent to stay updated on the continuing developments if you have your images at either site.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/2018/04/20/smugmug-buys-flickr-verizon-oath/537377002/

I have been a smugmug member for several years now. It seems to be a good website for storing images.

My guess is that Flickr will become a paid subscription service or will be loaded with advertising. It will have to repay the buyers somehow.

Next to the Flickr logo on each page are two donut like objects. Click on them and it takes you to SmugMug/Flickr.
https://www.smugmug.com/together/

I have an account on 500px in case I need to move.

I have a paid Flickr account but the link says I can "try a free, 14 day test run" on SmugMug. So now I decide which service to subscribe to.

I have been on Smugmug for some years but don't like the way they remade it. Have not yet come to grips with it. OK for storing and delivering pix though. Price is reasonable.

It's likely to be the end of the free ride for all the Flickr members without Pro accounts. SmugMug's top fee is only $40, and goes as low as $4. Supposedly advertising free, plus photos and personal information are protected. It's too late in the day to check out their site, but I've got in on my top bar for later perusal.

PF

Yikes!
I pay for flickr and hope it stays as is.... really hope so!
Even after they took the ceiling off the free storage limit I kept paying.
I hate the ads.... Paying those few bucks a year makes flickr ad free.

Yikes!
I pay for flickr and hope it stays as is.... really hope so!
Even after they took the ceiling off the free storage limit I kept paying.
I hate the adds.... Paying those few bucks a year makes flickr add free.

It is not staying as it is :^(((((

I just got an email from Flickr stating that unless I cancel my Flickr account by 25 May everything will be transferred to Smug Mug - no choice offered other than abandoning your Flickr membership entirely (you can however download your own content first). I am a pro user (i.e a paying user) and that is at a fixed rate of $25 per year due to an offer made by Flickr some time ago when the site last changed. No word on what will happen with Smug Mug but my guess is they will not honor it beyond the current subscription year.

I tried Smug Mug some time back and did not like it - Flickr functionality is much better, especially its community. Unless Smug Mug has improved recently which it seems not to have. So Not Happy! The greatest advantage of Flickr for me is the way its functionality (e.g groups) drives traffic to your page through your posting on interest groups. SmugMug is presently advertising itself essentially as nothing more than a hosting site for photographers. Which means you have to get your own traffic. Which for most of us is useless. And a P.I.A.

Extract:

" ......We think you are going to love Flickr under SmugMug ownership, but you can choose to not have your Flickr account and data transferred to SmugMug until May 25, 2018. If you want to keep your Flickr account and data from being transferred, you must go to your Flickr account to download the photos and videos you want to keep, then delete your account from your Account Settings by May 25, 2018.
If you do not delete your account by May 25, 2018, your Flickr account and data will transfer to SmugMug and will be governed by SmugMug’s Terms and Privacy Policy."

My guess is that Flickr will become a paid subscription service or will be loaded with advertising. It will have to repay the buyers somehow.

Next to the Flickr logo on each page are two donut like objects. Click on them and it takes you to SmugMug/Flickr.
https://www.smugmug.com/together/

had noticed those and clicked on it. All I saw was some advert like page and video saying that "united is better" but it lacks any substantial information. As flickr user I am curious what will come of this. For now I rather like the news, it least flickr seems to continue which I felt had become uncertain under yahoo and there is hope it will improve, there is a lot room for that.

never tried SmugMug, but now checking their site, they dont have free option at all? even basic plan costs something. anyways, I think this is good news for Flickr.

Back