Flickr bought by SmugMug

As long I get no message telling me that my images are locked and being held to a $400 ransom I'm good.

Whatever the flickr/smugmug alliance brings I doubt whether they could ever top that!

today I register my new account on smugmug as a trial one,
I imported some of my photos from flickr (they offer a great tool to migrate photos)
smugmug looks pretty neat for me,
however i am not willing to pay monthly fee to use it as i use photo hosting site just as a link to photo forums, such as rff here.
if flickr remains free, i am ok.

Humm, I never paid for Flickr, and never got ads (unless I failed to sign in). I'm really getting toward the idea of deleting myself from the internet as much as possible--FB and Flickr at least. The only real link I have to Flickr is the group I started for the Nikkor/Sonnar 50mm lenses which I'd like to keep going.

Once I get past the *idea* of re-connecting with old friends or sharing photos, I can objectively say my life is not any different than before. And FB is mostly a way to put myself into a state of depression.

I feel very much the same. Never paid for flickr — still not even sure what a Pro account does. I guess i didn't need to post a massive number of images. And, even though i used to be addicted to Flickr, i really stopped using it somewhere around the time that 'digital' imaging became the default, and/or around when they redesigned the UI.

Will soon delete Facebook, too. It was great for finding old classmates, but since it became a way for people to "share" meaningless blather, or to boast, i have been avoiding it, too. The recent revelations about how it was so adeptly used as a weapon have only steeled my resolve. And i've never sent a tweet in my life. I want to say it's the arena for morons, but i know there are some legitimate uses for it. Somewhere.

SmugMug. I will never attach myself to something named smugmug. What the hell. I had a 'portfolio' site on SquareSpace for a year or so. I reckon i'll return to that, and just have fond memories of when Flickr was such a valuable social and educational tool. It really was fantastic, back when people shot film and good photographers included technical data.

I'm downloading all my Flickr images and will archive them in a free Cloud storage account.

Then I will delete all but one image.

I'll keep my Flickr account just in case Smugmug does something wonderful with Flickr.

the last big remake of flickr had taken away the links to one's collections that had small thumbnails of one's albums inside these collections. This was a useable way to present one's photos in an organized way.
That remake made one's photo into one big stream that highlights one's latest photos only.
That link to one's collections still exist but very hidden. One first must open one's albums, only from there one can find a link to the higher level of organizations, the collections. Why the link provided on the fron page would not go first to the higher level of organizations is beyond me.
I'd have one big wish to the new owners: please give ( back ) ways for the photographers to show her/his photos in an organized way. Better even give more levels of organization than just 2, first access must be to the highest level and one the personal front page ( I hope you guys understand what I mean by "levels of organization"..)

I got the email today. It's pretty much as peterm1 said, but I think he might have misinterpreted it. All Flickr data will be moved to Smugmug's facilities, but the Flickr site will persist as a standalone entity. It's saying that if you do not agree to have your photos moved onto their servers and your account brought under their control, you need to download them and delete your account before May 25. Here's the full text.

I received the same email. Went to the link they sent but it's just a link to the main site, not a special download page. I have thousands on Flickr, have been a paid member in the past. I'm not about to download them one by one. I have almost everything I've shot in external storage, but it would be nice to get all the keepers in one place.

Does anyone know of a way to bulk-download one's own Flickr images?

I'd have one big wish to the new owners: please give ( back ) ways for the photographers to show her/his photos in an organized way. Better even give more levels of organization than just 2, first access must be to the highest level and one the personal front page ( I hope you guys understand what I mean by "levels of organization"..)

I understand what you mean, and I agree 100%.

I received the same email. Went to the link they sent but it's just a link to the main site, not a special download page. I have thousands on Flickr, have been a paid member in the past. I'm not about to download them one by one. I have almost everything I've shot in external storage, but it would be nice to get all the keepers in one place.

Does anyone know of a way to bulk-download one's own Flickr images?

You can download up to 500 photos at a time from your Camera Roll.

If you place your photos into an Album, you can download up to 5,000 photos at once. It will take FLICKR some time to create the download file. It is possible yo monitor the process in real time. When the process completes you receive a link in your FLICKR messages and you email (if email is enabled).

Here's details.

I feel very much the same. Never paid for flickr — still not even sure what a Pro account does.

The "Pro" paid account was a way to gain more storage space for your photos, as free users were limited to something like only the latest 200 made visible to anyone.

Then, when the Googlehead took over, everyone got a free terabyte of storage, with the Pro accounts having unlimited storage. Later on that was changed from unlimited, but it's still a lot of space. This was also around the time Ms Mayer made her infamous "There is no such thing as a Pro anymore" remark, which stirred up a huge hornets nest of Flickr users in protest.

Then came auto-tagging, and advertisements. If you had a Pro account, you could disable the viewing of auto-tags, plus Flickr would not show them to whomever was viewing your photos. It also was supposed to eliminate you seeing advertising on others photos, but my ad-blocker shows a really high number of blocks whenever I'm on Flickr. But at least I don't see any ads, or anything asking me to turn off the ad-blocker.

So that's it. More storage, disabled auto-tags, and ad removal. That's what you get with a Flickr Pro account.

PF

I've been a long time Flickr user and have been rolling with a subscription, and I'm optimistic with its recent acquisition by Smug Mug. Quite honestly, Flickr was languishing within the Yahoo empire for years. I don't see anything sinister with Flickr's move at the end of May into Smug Mug's realm, you don't expect Verizon to keep hosting it? The reality is Flickr the platform is up in the cloud somewhere moving to another part of the cloud. As long as all the embed links on my photo blog don't go screwy, I'm fine.

I have an account on 500PX, I don't post there anymore since it was acquired by the Chinese equivalent of Getty Images. Very least there are still some signs of life on Flickr in terms of community, there never was on 500PX.

I just noticed that now, if one is not a Flickr member, one cannot search pictures on it any more. Well one can, but gets only a handful of results and told to sign up for more. Sad also for members whose pictures will get less exposure.

I just noticed that now, if one is not a Flickr member, one cannot search pictures on it any more. Well one can, but gets only a handful of results and told to sign up for more. Sad also for members whose pictures will get less exposure.

Seems to be working okay for me when I search as a non-member, or incognito.

I'm getting the same results I always did.

John

Even if you member, Flickr search engine needs to be executed with DEL button from Flickr site. It is totally useless garbage. This crap can't even find groups. This pile of soup can't even search with spelling errors autocorrection. Looks like abandoned and long time not updated Yahoo search engine from previous century.

The only search I use for flickr is Google search.

I like this bit from the USA Today article

Quote:
“It sounds silly for the CEO not to totally know what he’s going to do, but we haven’t built SmugMug on a master plan either. We try to listen to our customers and when enough of them ask for something that’s important to them or to the community, we go and build it,” he said.
This is not just another brainless asset sell. The guy has some kind of passion for photography/photo websites, or at least gives a damn. Whether he's a good businessman I don't know, but at the moment I can only see this as positive.

I'm a FlickR Pro subscriber paid up until Feb 2020.

I guess many users contacted them with a wish to pay double the price and to have less images in flickr cloud.

Back