For the die hard M8 fans

I could not afford it new so I got one 5 or 6 years after it was released. Buying one today definitely poses a longevity issue and Leica stopped repairing M8s for a while now. I could be wrong but it seems like there are more issues with the M9 than the M8.

I follow that YT channel of Hugo because I too use and own an M8 today and he appears so happy with his gear!

I seriously doubt that M9 has more issues than M8. Once sensor is replaced they keep going. Also, where did you get the information that Leica stopped servicing M8s? This doesn't sound right. However it will probably cost more to repair one than buying another copy.

I have been using an M8 and M9 for several years as my main cameras. I had two sensor replacements for the M9 and a hot pixels repair for the M8. I use mainly ISO 160 with both cameras.

Is the M8 still being used because it has die hard fans or just because it is the cheapest digital Leica rangefinder? (and yes, I have owned and used the M8...various time).

I use my M8 because it is a good camera. It is a digital Leica that works well side by side with the M9. Most of the time I use a 50mm lens with the M8 while the M9 is used with wider lenses.

I use my M8 because it is a good camera. It is a digital Leica that works well side by side with the M9. Most of the time I use a 50mm lens with the M8 while the M9 is used with wider lenses.

Right, but you've been using it for 12 years! I'm talking about new die hard fans. :)

I bought my fourth M8 (sixth if you count the two duds I got in 2007) about 4 weeks ago. Originally I bought a new M8 in 2007 and sold after about a year. Bought an M8.2 used in 2011 and sold 6 months later. Bought an M8 used in 2015 and sold after a couple of years. Each time I have sold I have regretted it. Hopefully I can hang onto this one but we'll see. I like it because it is relatively light and straightforward to use but you have to engage with the process because of its limitations. I also seem to be able to focus easier with the M8 than I did with the M240. I would buy an M9 but they are just too expensive relative to the M240 and really don't give you much more than the M8 (I had an M9 for a short time). I would not be surprised if I end up with another M240 or possibly an M262 (lighter). However, for the time being I am happy.

Right, but you've been using it for 12 years! I'm talking about new die hard fans. :)

I bought my cameras used, and I would be surprised if I have been using them for 12 years now. I am not a new user. You are right. :D

Purchased a used M9 in 2013 or so from Leica Miami Store..... worked fine until the sensor crapped out on me in 2016 or so.... Leica NJ replaced it for free and has been working fine since... I will get a M10-P once the prices come down more.... Its the digital Leica I've alway wanted which matched my M6 in shape, but I settled on the M9 back then... Still use the original battery holds a charge just fine.... Highest ISO I'll go is 640 in an extreme situation.... mostly 160.... 400 every now and then...

I bought mine about 4 weeks ago to see how I liked using a digital Leica rangefinder as opposed to my M3/4. I chose the M8 because it was inexpensive and I thought I could live with the limitations. I am liking it better the more I use it and it is certainly more convenient to carry around for casual shooting than my Nikon D4/3S which I use primarily for sports.

nice write by OP, and pictures too. my M8 is resting in a storage box in another country am currently living in, but am not having any plans selling it. its low megapixel count (and other limitations) makes it weekend trip not-so-serious snapping camera for me, but like OP, am feeling its still good camera to use when knowing its strengths and weaknesses.

back in 2010-11 I did a round the world trip, shooting solely with M8. looking back those photos, I sometimes tried to push it in situations where it wasn't so great, especially with low light. it was stable enough at 1/15th or even 1/8th, which rescued some shots. in Africa, I wasn't careful with sensor dust during lenses changes, which caused lot agonizing de-dusting work in Lightroom afterwards. had also opportunity to meet some of RFF folks in Tokyo and New York, many of who still frequent this forum ten years later :)

Is the M8 still being used because it has die hard fans or just because it is the cheapest digital Leica rangefinder? (and yes, I have owned and used the M8...various time).

I use mine because I can't afford an M10. That said, I still enjoy using my M8 which I bought new when they first came out . . . and I have 4 nice Leica lenses that I don't want to go to waste.

I have an M8.2 I bought September, 2020, and it gives me good color, good image, good sharpness. I can't fault it. Other than the crop sensor which must always be accounted for, OK, but no big deal. My 28mm Canon LTM is an effective 35mm. I can live with that. Here is a fishing boat in late afternoon sun. Good color, good image, pretty sharp. Reduced in size, sharpened and resampled smaller with ShowFoto. This is with the Voigtländer Nokton Classic 35mm f/1.4 II MC @f/5.6, ISO 160. You may think the photo is crap but the mechanics of it are fine. As usual, YMMV.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Fishing Boat.jpg Views:	37 Size:	349.6 KB ID:	4757924

I just purchased one last week, and in love with it, you know some digital camera's you just use and that's it but the Leica wow it's another step up
a big step up!

I recently purchased an M240, and the deal I struck with myself was to sell my M8. But I'm not sure if I'll be able to let it go! With a 28mm lens, shot at ISO 160, especially in bright day light, the colors/files this machine produces are the best of any existing camera in my humble opinion. Of course, you'd have to get past the loud shutter, and noisy files above ISO 640, and slow buffer. The slow buffer I can live with, but the limited ISO usability and loud shutter make shooting silently in dimly lit conditions almost impossible. But within specific situations, I really don't think it gets better than an M8.

Also, Hugo's channel is awesome!

I think your appreciation will grow with use. The color and modeling are wonderful. Here is a test I did of the M8 against three other cameras: https://flickr.com/photos/sandynoyes/albums/72157716739415061/with/50563694458/

Just from looking at these four photos, if someone told me one of them was shot with an M8, there is no doubt that I would have guessed it was the top left. The files it produces definitely has an M8 signature, I think this is due to the CCD effect? Maybe it is blown out of proportion, but some of my M8 files (not all of them) have the same look.

Back