For the die hard M8 fans

Range-rover; said:
Hi Helen, Nice to see your still using the M8 and the shot's are great, I purchased another one and I really love it, it's just different and this time have two Leica lenses for it
which is better,

Thank You !
Hope to see You at the Rff meet up 7th of Aug ~
Long time no see...

Look forward to viewing some of your M8 photos here

With the Ultron 28 v2
52237798294_25dedf66d5_b.jpg

I have recently begun shooting again with my M8u in 10MP DNG and have rediscovered the absolute beauty and almost 3D effect of this CCD sensor. I confess I have all but abandoned its use in favor of the Sony 7III and the Fuji Xpro 3. I just did a comparison, and I was blown away by the old beauty's images. So much like film IMO. I will be using the M8u much more and would encourage anyone who is lucky enough to own one to do the same.

I have had 8 M8 / M8.2 cameras - the first in 2007. The first two suffered sudden death syndrome and were replaced but the other 6 have all been great. The current one was bought last October. It's hard to explain why I keep coming back to the M8 but whenever I review photos taken with it I wonder why I ever sold one. I've had M9s, an M240, MP240 and an M262 all of which are great cameras but there is something special about the M8 (for me - ymmv).

I love my M8.2, noisy shutter and IR sensitivity and all. It's one of my favorite cameras of all time. I have an M240 now, too, but I plan to enjoy my M8 until it dies...and I might have to find another one when that happens.

Here are a few from a weekend in Wheeling, West Virginia last year. An old manufacturing town on the Ohio river. Friendly people, pretty mountain scenery, and lots of interesting architecture.

Try To Think About Elvis by Bryan Costin, on Flickr

Look Over There by Bryan Costin, on Flickr

Untitled by Bryan Costin, on Flickr

Last edited:
Is the M8 still being used because it has die hard fans or just because it is the cheapest digital Leica rangefinder? (and yes, I have owned and used the M8...various time).
I bought the M8 as soon as it became available to replace my Epson RD-1, and have enjoyed it ever since. I subsequently also bought an M9, but traded it for an M240, and more recently traded for an M10R---I still use the M8 regularly because I love the B&W output, which in some ways seems better than the newer bodies. It also seems ideal for use with my 24 Elmarit lens (without external finder), so it continues to be a very useful tool. The newer M10R is better in most ways, but the M8 remains special for the two reasons mentioned (B&W + 24mm use).

I bought the M8 as soon as it became available to replace my Epson RD-1, and have enjoyed it ever since. I subsequently also bought an M9, but traded it for an M240, and more recently traded for an M10R---I still use the M8 regularly because I love the B&W output, which in some ways seems better than the newer bodies. It also seems ideal for use with my 24 Elmarit lens (without external finder), so it continues to be a very useful tool. The newer M10R is better in most ways, but the M8 remains special for the two reasons mentioned (B&W + 24mm use).
Agreed, the mono images are wonderful and stand up against any other mono. I like mine with an old Canon 28mm f/2.8 which is effectively a FF 35mm. Do you shoot mono with or without the IR filter?

Agreed, the mono images are wonderful and stand up against any other mono. I like mine with an old Canon 28mm f/2.8 which is effectively a FF 35mm. Do you shoot mono with or without the IR filter?
All of my lenses have B+W or Leica IR filters, mostly for front element protection----and I never remove them.

Just from looking at these four photos, if someone told me one of them was shot with an M8, there is no doubt that I would have guessed it was the top left. The files it produces definitely has an M8 signature, I think this is due to the CCD effect? Maybe it is blown out of proportion, but some of my M8 files (not all of them) have the same look.

Back