Fountain pens - anyone write?

I used one once, it was a dentist/fellow photographer's. Used it wrong apparently, got ink all over my hand, that's the end of that. I don't like writing by hand when I don't have to... usually avoid taking notes at class, but if I need to I'll just use a regular ball point pen.

juhor said:
I've been lusting for a one because I keep a diary almost everyday. Now I'm using a Pilot G-2 black roller pen which is very nice but I would like to try a fountain pen. The problem is tough the fact that I'm left handed, so the text comes messy if the ink is wet. (My hand sweeps over it as I write!)

Fret not. I'm left handed too, and I am having absolutely no problems with Noodler's black ink. Give it a try.

Of course, it also depends on how you write, and on which paper you write. My suggestion would be to try Noodler's black on various papers.

http://www.nibs.com/Left-hand writers.htm

We left handed people don't get much love. What's the point of keeping both eyes open on the 1:1 viewfinder of the R-D1, when all you see with the other eye is an extreme closeup of the camera's back?

- Cesar

CosmicCharlie said:
...I bet there are a bunch of bassists on the list as well?

Guilty as charged. Fender Mexican Jazz Bass in Midnight Blue with the bridge & pickguard covers added- so it looks like a blue '62.

juhor said:
I've been lusting for a one because I keep a diary almost everyday. Now I'm using a Pilot G-2 black roller pen which is very nice but I would like to try a fountain pen. The problem is tough the fact that I'm left handed, so the text comes messy if the ink is wet. (My hand sweeps over it as I write!)

Heres my journal, the blue book:
bags.jpg

Im a leftie too so the wife I learnt early on that rollerballs work better for me, sadly as I like the way a good fountain pen feels hitting good quality paper. ps whats the bag ? it looks good.

I have more FPs than I need, including several Esterbrooks, Parkers, Sheaffers, an Eversharp Skyline, and a few others. I've got a "51" in my pocket right now.

I'm a little surprised at the overlap between RFF, fountainpennetwork.com, and badgerandblade.com. It was the fountain pen guys that got me over to B&B (a wetshaving forum), and folks at both places got me looking over here. Strange world.

Edit: I'm a bassist, too. Favorite is my '82 Vintage 57 reissue Precision, but I've got nine . . . Now how many of you guys are Alfa owners, too . . .

Last edited:
Fender P Bass Torino Red, Trace Elliot Boxer 30.
How weird is this

How about the following
I Like my coffee black and think letterman makes leno look like a poser!

I have a desk tidy that carries an amazing assortment of items -I just looked a bit more carefully! There is a wonderful collection of small paint brushes, a great modellers knife with spare blades, a magnifyer, roll of double sided tape, several clutch pencils, a group of ballpoints, and 2 Shaeffer pens.
Both were gifts from my wife. The one 'in use' now is looking very worn with the brass showing through. Its mainly used for those special situations like writing birthday and family Christmas cards - somehow they seem to be appreciated more if they have 'been done' using pen and ink. The Shaeffer snorkel was another birthday present to replace one that I used at University and finally went the way of many snorkels when it refused to wind down and fill with ink despite an innumeral number of washing out.
How often are they used - not too often now that Parker Quink ink (black) is now well over £3 a bottle! But I guess several times a week.

I write right-handed but with my hand crooked over as though left-handed (imagine a left-hander in a mirror) so fountain pens smudge like crazy for me. I have come across antique pens while rooting through boxes of junk and made a few quid on them though :)

Bass ? used to play a copy Fender "P" with added pick-ups and rewired by my good self, sounded fantastic through a 4x12" with 400W head (and often a "Big Muff Pi" fuzzbox) :D Sadly it got damp when stored and the neck split :(

al1966 said:
Im a leftie too so the wife I learnt early on that rollerballs work better for me, sadly as I like the way a good fountain pen feels hitting good quality paper. ps whats the bag ? it looks good.
Thanks for the tip! I have to find one now!

Oh, that green bag? It's a finnish designer bag from a company called Marimekko (Expensive products, beware! :) My mother gave it to me two years ago and I've used it since then daily. It holds my camera, schoolbooks, pencils, film, music player and other things. It was a darker green colour but it has worn since. I have spilt coffee, milk and other beverages on it and washed it many times, it just keeps going.

The other one, the colorful I bought from a flea market for 2 euros. It's just for fun and sometimes I carry my camera in it.

I'm another southpaw.

I found that regular ball-points etc never failed to smudge. I have a fine-nibbed Waterman and use regular Waterman ink, and never have smudge problems. I guess that the ink dries quickly.

Kent

i have few, montblanc starwalker fountain pen, parker, waterman. however, the most frequent one i use is the chinese made hero 101 I bought for less than 10 bucks 10 years ago, it is perfectly balance in my hand.

i also like montblanc starwalker, but the ink cartridge is way too expensive for daily use...

sepiareverb said:
Guilty as charged. Fender Mexican Jazz Bass in Midnight Blue with the bridge & pickguard covers added- so it looks like a blue '62.
Mic culpa. I loved my Gibson fretless "Ripper" that I stupidly sold when I needed cash many years ago but I now play an Alvarez RB30SC electric/acoustic bass. (Have a nice Alvarez all mahogany PF2005 commemorative regular guitar with a custom rosewood pickgaurd and K&K internal pickups as well.)

While I do have an inexpensive Sheaffer Fountain pen I must be doing something wrongly with it, because I get covered in ink whenever I've tried to use it. Maybe my writing style is too heavy for the medium nib? I prefer my simple but elegant Shaeffer ballpoint when signing important papers and cheap Xeno 1.0 from Staples otherwise.

I desperately wanted to be the mysterious man in the cafe scribbling arcane thoughts while 'on the road' in his Moleskine with the classic Pelikan, Leica by his side, sipping espresso, but found that I prefer a pocket sized Franklin DayPlanner (been a customer since 1987) and my Palm T|X for archiving/organising my life.

I also wear a TH4 Tilley Hat, Limmer boots and several Utilikilts! (though not always at the same time.)

Last edited:
Joerg,

You are not the only one wanting a Nakaya Urushi pen (heck, I thought I was alone in my lust for them). It's simplicity of shape and rich red-orange color are stunning and elegant and captivating. I have looked at these for a few years...when will I go for it?

____ _____ _______ _______ ______

There's a Fountain Pen Network? Oh my, I am doomed.

Last edited:
I used to use fountain pens, but not in a few years. Many basses, though - my main players are a Bongo 5, a StingRay 5, a Sterling, a ThunderChief 5, a Steinberger XM2A and a Ric 4001.

bobkonos said:
Joerg,

You are not the only one wanting a Nakaya Urushi pen (heck, I thougt I was alone in my lust for them). It's simplicity of shape and rich red-orange color are stunning and elegant and captivating. I have looked at these for a few years...when will I go for it?

I always thought a Nakaya in Black-red will go well with my Canon and Nikon LTM lenses :D

Ciao

Joerg

GoodPhotos said:
I desperately wanted to be the mysterious man in the cafe scribbling arcane thoughts while 'on the road' in his Moleskine with the classic Pelikan, Leica by his side, sipping espresso, but found that I prefer a pocket sized Franklin DayPlanner and my Palm T|X for archiving/organising my life.

and blackberry + mobile will also work, throw in a ibook and a M8 too.

life is too easy these days, where can you refill ink cartridges when you are traveling, same as batteries running dry. not very durable i am afraid.

Back