Fuji is starting to get to me!

Huss

Mentor
Local time
12:13 PM
The X100V and X-Pro3..
Why? Because I have been seeing more and more images online taken with the Classic Negative Film Simulation mode.
And I love it.

:bang:

I played with the NikFx plugin in LR, which has film simulation filters. I filtered these using their Fuji Superia 200. It pretty much 'just' saturated the colors, increased contrast and blocked up the shadows a bit. I was curious to see how they would compare to Fuji's in camera Classic Negative mode.
Ya, while I like what NikFx has done, it does not compare. Plus it adds several processing steps plus it only saves as a TIFF so the files then become very large.

FYI I used an M240 + Lux Asph 50

The X100V and X-Pro3..
Why? Because I have been seeing more and more images online taken with the Classic Negative Film Simulation mode.
And I love it.

:bang:

Unless that Classic Negative Film Simulation mode includes a setting for AgfaPan APX-100, Kodak Tri-X and Kodak Plus-X, I'm not interested.

Best,
-Tim

PS: Not to thread hijack, but I've got some of that Kodak Pro Image 100 film (that Michael does such wonderful work with) coming tomorrow, so the Leica's are going to get a workout. Maybe if the X100V could simulate that film, and my old favorite Ektachrome EPP-100, then I might be interested.

Unless that Classic Negative Film Simulation mode includes a setting for AgfaPan APX-100, Kodak Tri-X and Kodak Plus-X, I'm not interested.

Best,
-Tim

PS: Not to thread hijack, but I've got some of that Kodak Pro Image 100 film (that Michael does such wonderful work with) coming tomorrow, so the Leica's are going to get a workout. Maybe if the X100V could simulate that film, and my old favorite Ektachrome EPP-100, then I might be interested.

I think it just covers Fuji products?
Hey, I'm not quitting real film any time soon! Just like these simulated Digital images from Fuji more than regular Digital images.

I still love the previous version X100F... stellar
Cool that prices now are dropping with the version Vour now

It is never going to look like film scans. It just in camera processing presets to make image looking good. Those who likes them are lucky. :)
I prefer to like camera rendering closer to original RAW. Fuji is nice, but personally I prefer Olympus.

I had the second X100 camera, and although I liked it a lot I never really got along with it. The menus were obnoxious (not a huge issue, but it nagged) and the viewfinder was always busier and less intuitive than I hoped.

The images looked great, but the process of using the camera felt too much like using my phone (which I love to photograph with, but that's not usually why I pick up a camera rather than the phone).

I say: try one out for a week and see how you like it? No reason not to rent and give it a go.

It is never going to look like film scans. It just in camera processing presets to make image looking good. Those who likes them are lucky. :)
I prefer to like camera rendering closer to original RAW. Fuji is nice, but personally I prefer Olympus.

This review shows how well the Classic Negative mode works

https://jonasraskphotography.com/2019/10/23/x-pro3-a-different-breed-first-look-extensive-preview/

I have an Oly PenF and its film modes are nice but not this nice. I use it as a Monochrom camera.

I had the second X100 camera, and although I liked it a lot I never really got along with it. The menus were obnoxious (not a huge issue, but it nagged) and the viewfinder was always busier and less intuitive than I hoped.

If you think Fuji menus are horrible, just about any other digital camera is even worse... other than Leica.

As for the VF (EVF or OVF), every single piece of information can be turned off leaving just a bare VF.

The viewfinder is configurable in what it displays. You can have nothing more than the framelines if desired.

Shawn

Fuji's in-camera Provia mode is seriously awesome. Plus, the lenses are tiny and weather rated. I do all my color work with an X-T3 and love it. I should have bought an X-H1 when they had this insane sale two months ago and they were dirt cheap. :(

I now only use Olympus digitals for personal black & white images because I cannot depend on them for paying jobs. The Olympus broke once too often. Thus far, my Fuji digitals have been more dependable.

Candid Wedding Cameras by Narsuitus, on Flickr
Took me a moment with that photo! I've used M4/3 cameras for a long time and I'd easily say Panasonic is the more durable choice for bodies. Olympus designs cameras with lots of panache but Panasonic know how to make good cameras.

Sent from my TA-1025 using Tapatalk

Yeah I just shot a bunch of images around the house w my PenF. The film modes do not compare to Fuji. But it does do a sweet monochrome.

Back