Fuji is starting to get to me!

I used to have more dissonance when deciding what camera to bring (and that's part of why I had an x100 for a while). Sometimes I want to go very slow and focus and meter and pick ever variable, because it sounds fun and engaging and it's what I want to do. Sometimes I want to ignore everything but the image and just shoot. It used to be that I needed two cameras for that, but now that the iPhone is actually a passable camera for 95% of my use cases, I just bring an M and an iPhone.

That's the issue with Fuji to me, it's in this middle ground between use cases where I GET why people like it, but it doesn't fit in with me. I don't know when I would want to bring it vs other things. Still, lots of really amazing images made with them, so obviously other people know just when they want to bring and use them.

Film simulations, the other topic in this thread, don't really appeal to me, but that's probably because I have found a love for the weirdness of digital rendering that results in images that I like. Film simulations feel like a shortcut to good looking images, and I have no objections to shortcuts, I just found my own that I can execute just as fast.

That is probably cryptic. I challenge you to state with equal conviction your own position of photography.

Your position has nothing to do with photography but shows an indulgence in neck jewelry.

I use Leica cameras and lenses but do not blather on about their essence. Cuz quite frankly that is tedious and obnoxious.

At the priced of a used digital M240 series rangefinder, the Leica digital CL is one fine little camera. I've put together an outfit I like shooting enough I'm in the process of dumping most all my Micro Four-Thirds outfit and using this even more than my M262 these days.

That's the issue with Fuji to me, it's in this middle ground between use cases where I GET why people like it, but it doesn't fit in with me. I don't know when I would want to bring it vs other things. Still, lots of really amazing images made with them, so obviously other people know just when they want.

Using a Fuji, and the output quality, is a lot closer to using a Leica than to a cellphone. It is one thing to prefer a Leica, it is another to say your cellphone takes the place of a Fuji. It can for you and your purposes. I find it incredible the amount of people here who almost make these cameras out to be useless junk. We are spoiled.

Your position has nothing to do with photography but shows an indulgence in neck jewelry.

I use Leica cameras and lenses but do not blather on about their essence. Cuz quite frankly that is tedious and obnoxious.

Consider formulating original thoughts. I see you do not really care what I have written in response to you. That's Ok. Literacy isn't for everyone.

They're all just effin' cameras. None of them are anointed by the Heavenly Hosts. They just take pictures.

Using a Fuji, and the output quality, is a lot closer to using a Leica than to a cellphone. It is one thing to prefer a Leica, it is another to say your cellphone takes the place of a Fuji. It can for you and your purposes. I find it incredible the amount of people here who almost make these cameras out to be useless junk. We are spoiled.

Yeah, it’s just a use case thing for me. Obviously a large sensor and high quality lens make a difference, just that when I would use it I don’t care as much about those things. Again, just a me thing.

I have a Fujifilm XT-2, and I do love it, but I also love my mechanical film cameras. I went with the Fujifilm because of the film simulations; though the main one I use is Acros, other than that I tend to go with RAW and post process.

I feel like I am straddling two worlds. My film cameras are almost fully mechanical (other than some with built in exposure meters, and one P&S). I like it that way. I did not like the early auto-focus cameras, and did not care for the plastic cameras produced in the 80s and 90s (though I know some are quite good). On the other hand, my Fujifilm XT-2 has everything- OIS, auto-exposure, auto-focus, dual mechanical metal shutter with mechanical speeds to 1/8000, LCD screen, etc. It also has dials and feels a bit like an SLR, albeit with some plastic. The Fujifilm does produce images that look like film, but with post processing, it is basically a digital camera and can go beyond that.

I really like the OVF/EVF combo that Fuji uses on the X100 and Xpro series. It is a shame that they removed the 2 magnifications with the X-Pro3. But they did improve the EVF. My primary lens would be a 23 or 27, and the OVF frame lines for those are great and ok.
I prefer using OVFs as EVFs give me a headache which is why I rarely use my penF (even though I like it) and pretty much only use my Z7 for film scanning.

If Leica actually developed their RF concept, to include their standard OVF rf, but also added a hybrid EVF into it such as Fuji does, they really would have moved the design forward.
The clip on EVFs are lacking on both the M240 and m10 (even tho useful). Fuji has been doing the hybrid thing for years now, perhaps Leica can take a look and come up with their own version?

I really like the OVF/EVF combo that Fuji uses on the X100 and Xpro series. It is a shame that they removed the 2 magnifications with the X-Pro3. But they did improve the EVF. My primary lens would be a 23 or 27, and the OVF frame lines for those are great and ok.
I prefer using OVFs as EVFs give me a headache which is why I rarely use my penF (even though I like it) and pretty much only use my Z7 for film scanning.

If Leica actually developed their RF concept, to include their standard OVF rf, but also added a hybrid EVF into it such as Fuji does, they really would have moved the design forward.
The clip on EVFs are lacking on both the M240 and m10 (even tho useful). Fuji has been doing the hybrid thing for years now, perhaps Leica can take a look and come up with their own version?

My feeling, after shooting with the Xpro3 for about a week, is that the OVF is great for the 23 & 35 lenses (eq 35/50), just like almost every Leica made. For any other lens, it's EVF-time.

I should clarify. Everything about the Fuji cameras is "almost". Their ethos is a flimsy homage. That is not to say Fuji cameras aren't good or even great tools in the right hands. But they are certainly mediocre products.

I think you can expand on this thesis.

The only real problem I know of was in the original x100 with the sticky aperture blade problem. ...

That's right - and this was only for some early X100 bodies.

I owned a very very early X100 (which did not have the sticky blade issue). But there was color banding above ISO 800. Back in those days other brands had similar issues.

Fuji is the only producer of photographic equipment that has gotten me excited lately.

I think they 'get it' in a way that other manufacturers do not.

If Leica had been the one to make the X-Pro3 only with a full frame sensor, and called it instead the Leica M Pro....people (ok not people....Leicaphiles) would be lining up to buy it.

I am an owner of a M Monochrom....and I have also preordered the X100v.

The strength of Fuji's film emulations, the OVF / EVF hybrid, and performance of the redesigned 23mm lens (with a leaf shutter no less) sold me on the value of this piece of kit.

That's right - and this was only for some early X100 bodies.

I think it was a fairly wide range of bodies that could develop the problem. When I bought a used x100 it took three tries before I got one that didn't have the problem. One from classifieds here that was returned, one from KEH that was returned and replaced and that third body was fine. The SAB is a little tricky as it doesn't seem to cause problems in auto aperture mode. The way I found to test for it was to set the camera at f8 or f11 and then take a 10 or 20 shots of the exact same picture in single drive mode. If there was variation in exposure between the shots (overexposure) the blades were sticking and not closing down all the way. The other way to check it was to set to f16 and then keep hitting the DOF preview button and watching the aperture. If blades keep making different size openings it is because they are sticking.

Shawn

I had one of the first X100 cameras to be shipped in the US. It never developed the SAB problem.

I had one of the first X100 cameras to be shipped in the US. It never developed the SAB problem.

The x100 I bought from you had it. You stood behind the sale and took it back.

This video is from that camera. It is supposed to be stopping down to f16 each time but is clearly not stopping down the same way each time as the blades were sticking.

https://flic.kr/p/M7pe4s

Shawn

I think Fujis are great cameras. They are just not for me and for a lot of reasons.

I shoot digital now and one reason I do is because it isn't film and really looks different from film. If I wanted a film look I would still shoot film.

Nice to have all of these choices at this point in time. Lots of room to move around.

Tried it out in the store again today. It had the 23mm f2 lens on it which was near to silent in focusing. Was great - this camera really should be used with af lenses. In OVF with the AF lens it did feel sorta like a Leica with an AF lens. I really like the OVF as EVFs give me a headache.
What was weird is the diopter adjustment seems to be different for me between the OVF and EVF.

Shot it in Classic Neg mode with Chrome/blue turned on and really like how the shots came out of the inside of the camera store. Really is a straight out of camera image maker.
I feel maybe I should wait for the X100V as I don't think I'll be changing lenses with this camera.
Hmm.

Back