fuji x100s...who's getting one?

i got my x100s a few days, i'm pretty sure it's one of the first in Aus. Its my first digital since an M9. The split imaging i dont like and will never use but the focus peaking is cool.

I've never used a x100 but i can't say that i found the AF to be blistering on the 's', certainly no match for the OMD. The OVF is useless, it doesn't focus up close and the parallax is a pain in the arse anywhere under 2m. The OVF focus assist box is useless too. I guess i'll live with the EVF.

Those things aside its wonderful. Its built like a tank, processes/starts up quickly, and the images are lovely.

It's not the 'perfect' camera many describe it as being.

Just my $0.02

tohara, I have to agree with much of what you say. I saw the 's' at Focus on Imaging and came away a little deflated. I had expected it to really impress me but it failed to do that. The AF didn't seem much different, didn't like the split imaging and I rarely use MF except to set hyperfocal distances and this has been fine on my original X100 on the occasions I've used it.
Have to add I only had chance to compare my camera with an 's' that was tied to the counter and wasn't able to move it away to use it comfortably.
While I couldn't see the point in upgrading for these improvements it would be the new sensor which would be most tempting to sway me.
Things haven't been helped by the dealer where I bought original X100 from contacting me yesterday to say he had them in stock and my name was at the top if I was interested.
Despite being disappointed with what I saw I'm still finding hard to resist.

Paul

On the other hand, I find the OVF/EVF to be brilliantly excecuted, and the improved EVF is sometimes so clean and clear I can swear I'm looking through the OVF. There is always parallax with a separate viewfinder, that is a given, and one can focus much closer than 2m with the OVF, even with ancient 60 year old RFs, like an M. Useless is a strong word. Have to say that's the first time I've seen that description. Some people prefer using one viewfinder over the other, naturally.

There is no perfect camera, of course.

PS>The AF is a great improvement. It's picking nits to compare it to OM-D (which of course also depends on which lens is attached.)

Yes. Even though the OVF will focus much closer than that, the EVF gives an option that no other camera does (other than the X-Pro1) and certainly no rangefinder, other than the $7k M with an EVF attached. Of course, standard Leica mount lenses can't go closer than 0.7m even with the EVF, one would have to adapt an SLR lens or use other close up gear. :)

Just my initial impressions guys please don't think im belittling the camera, its great, don't get me wrong. The AF is fast but its not blistering, in my findings the OMD is noticeably quicker.

I had never heard about the parallax issues, hence my initial disappointment, the OVF was a big selling point for me. But i won't be using it. It will not grab focus using the OVF at around a metre and that's a fact, when using my camera. I find it unnecessary to compare it to a range finder and it's focusing abilities, two completely different methods of focus and mechanical structure.

Again i never used/owned the x100 so i cannot compare the EVF, i didn't find myself bothered by the OMD EVF and i am not bothered by the x100s EVF, its just that i would prefer the OVF coming from a Leica. Having said that i refuse to use the LCD, so the EVF it is!

I will be putting it through its paces today to see how good the sensor really is.

My comment about RFs was due to the fact that any optical VF will have parallax. It's not a flaw, it's inherent to such designs. That said once you get familiar you should find focusing in that range quite easy, if you are willing to give the OVF a try. :)

My comment about RFs was due to the fact that any optical VF will have parallax. It's not a flaw, it's inherent to such designs. That said once you get familiar you should find focusing in that range quite easy, if you are willing to give the OVF a try. :)

Have you shot a Leica? I have never experienced parallax with any Leica framelines

Have you shot a Leica? I have never experienced parallax with any Leica framelines
Parallax error is inherent in the viewfinder design because the center of the OVF and the center of the lens are not on the same axis... The Leica M framelines shift down and to the right in an attempt to correct for parallax as you focus closer.

But it leaves two issues unresolved: First, field size should change too but the framelines don't show that; second, the "correction" is only about correct for the one object distance you're focused to. Objects in the scene that are closer are displaced one direction while more distant objects are displaced the other direction.

So if you try to line up fenceposts that are at different distances, for example, they may *look* lined up in the OVF but will not in fact be lined up in the photo. This parallax effect doesn't occur with TTL viewing such as with an SLR or Live View.

The X100 had OVF parallax corrected framelines, as well as focus point parallax compensation. Of course, the camera must be made aware of the required focusing distance. I'm sure that given the correct initial setup, that the X100s' framelines are parallax corrected.

The X100 had OVF parallax corrected framelines, as well as focus point parallax compensation. Of course, the camera must be made aware of the required focusing distance. I'm sure that given the correct initial setup, that the X100s' framelines are parallax corrected.

Yes, this is the case.

If time permits one can quickly push the Command Control switch and see a 5X digital zoom of the actual focus region and confirm or adjust the focus when needed. This is particularly useful for close distances.

No. of posts aside, no disrespect intended on my part either, i was just curious. Maybe i'm naive as to the intricacies of the rangefinder system but with my m9 the content i composed in the frame lines was what was produced in the image, i had no knowledge of the parallax concept. I too fell into the trap of the x100s' initial impressions of perfections, i was expecting an amazing camera with zero faults. To a certain extent an M9 but with AF

The framelines in the x100s might very well be corrected for parallax but only to a certain point, and that point is certainly not less than 1.5 metres. I have turned on the parallax assists but it isn't completely accurate and leaves a lot to the intuition of the photo-taker. Which, in time, will result in me being able to take photos with the composition that i intend.

I had/have no intention of starting an argument about parallaxes its just that with the M9 i never experienced it, and didn't expect to with the x100s, hence why i noticed it perhaps more than most. I will use the OVF, i will use the EVF and i will use the LCD.

End of the day it's a great camera.

I'm torn between the X100S and the Sigma DP2 Merrill. I realize, they're two totally different cameras....
I do have an Xpro1, so familiar with what Fuji can do with colors / files.

I have dp Merrill's, xp1 and x100.
- Af speed is around x100. New x100s should be faster than the xo1.
- Color accuracy and resolving power go to dp Merrill.
- I like q menu implantation better on Merrill then the xp1.
- overall UI goes to Fuji
- high iso no contest - Fuji

I use an external ovf w/ my dp1&2 Merrill. I rarely shot from tripod. There are a lot of things the Fuji will do much better than the Merrill, but depending on what types of photography u are into, the Merrill can be a great addition to your kit. This year I am trying to target over 70% usage... I grew up in the 70s shooting Kodachrome 25.. So I tend to like that punchy Kodachrome look and it is easy to accomplish w/ the dp Merrill. The only down side of the Merrill s the sigma raw converter sw. One of the worst UI I have ever encountered.

Good luck w/ your decision. I don't think u can go wrong w/ either.
Gary

Man, I'm jealous of whoever owns one right now. Last week a handful started showing up on Dutch photo retailer websites - and were promptly sold out within minutes. I put an order in with my favorite store yesterday, after they told me they 'might' get stock this week. I usually don't preorder, but since they started shipping I figured it probably wouldn't be long.

Well, turns out I just got an email... the Fuji supplier bumped the expected delivery date for new stock up to april 27th.

You can imagine the bloodcurdling stream of expletives that followed.

So uh... yeah... expect some shipping delays folks!

Just my initial impressions guys please don't think im belittling the camera, its great, don't get me wrong. The AF is fast but its not blistering, in my findings the OMD is noticeably quicker.

I had never heard about the parallax issues, hence my initial disappointment, the OVF was a big selling point for me. But i won't be using it.

I will be putting it through its paces today to see how good the sensor really is.

the X100 definitely needs some getting used to - I suspect some of the problems will settle with experience. But your account makes me worry - the biggest single problem I find with the X100 is the need to switch to macro when you're around three feet away, and the problems in locking on in some low-contrast situations.

Back