Fujifilm X-Pro1 details leaked!!!

zuiko 12mm f2 for m4/3 - mechanical focus ring with distance scales.

As far as I know it's focus-by-wire, too, "only the wire is shorter".

Focus-by-wire is the norm now. It would be quite difficult nowadays to build a lens with a traditional mechanical focusing helical and focus ring, then have the autofocus motor turn the ring, and have the whole system feel good, because you'll be manually focusing against the motor all the time. If you want an idea what a good focus-by-wire system can feel like, look no further than the Carl Zeiss lenses for the Contax N system. They're so well damped that people don't notice they're focus-by-wire.

I've never experienced noticeable shutter lag with the X100 - AF isn't great, no question. Arguably faster in a number of instances than a manual rangefinder, but other contrast systems seem faster.

It's certainly not a perfect camera, if such a thing can ever exist, but crippled and useless for serious artists is absurdly hyperbolic.

And as soon as the X-Pro1 is about to hit the shops another manufacturer will announce its next best camera in the 'mock rangefinder' arena, and a whole new round of dithering about what to buy will start. Should I wait for this, should I buy that? All those photographs waiting for just the right camera to come along, the world will be blessed. Or we could just buy an M8 or M9 now and get on with it :rolleyes:

And lets not forget Leica themselves are going to be responsible for throwing a spanner in the works with their EVIL system. At some point one of the big boys, maybe even Fuji this time around, will throw their lot in with Leica and the battle will be won. As soon as any other system can take the new Leica EVIL system lenses (I don't mean via adapters, but fully functional) all other talk of what to get will be negated because it will be competing against the best. Leica and one other player will own the market.

Steve

'Second generation viewfinder'

Still I think it would be feasable to have that viewfinder blind pop up with a square hole in the middle, have the EVF engage and then the photographer can manually focus the lens by lining up the optical image and the electronical image: a digital rangefinder concept!

It would work just opposite from a Leica rangefinder, the smaller patch would be OVF and always in focus and you would have to line up the electronic image that surrounds it.

It that would be a 'second generation viewfinder' and they have improved on manual focusing, it might be a pretty nice experience altogether!

'Second generation viewfinder'

Still I think it would be feasable to have that viewfinder blind pop up with a square hole in the middle, have the EVF engage and then the photographer can manually focus the lens by lining up the optical image and the electronical image: a digital rangefinder concept!

It would work just opposite from a Leica rangefinder, the smaller patch would be OVF and always in focus and you would have to line up the electronic image that surrounds it.

It that would be a 'second generation viewfinder' and they have improved on manual focusing, it might be a pretty nice experience altogether!

oh yes, please!

Zooming hybrid-viewfinder!

ReponsesPhoto239-p8.jpg

So, with my limited French, did I understand correctly that it is expected body with the 35mm lens to cost circa 1300 euros?

Oh crap.. I may need to get this. A 50mm f1.4 and a 28mm f2 pancake is pretty much my ultimate lens setup on a small camera. The question is - do I sell my x100 to get it, and will they make more lenses for this setup - like a 35mm!

Oh crap.. I may need to get this. A 50mm f1.4 and a 28mm f2 pancake is pretty much my ultimate lens setup on a small camera.

Same here!

I've regret to buy a X100 because of the electronic viewfinder, but if there is a real hybrid rangefinder it would be awesome.

Poor autofocus and too much shutter lag, from what I've read. At the price of over $1000, I won't even consider trying something like that. Not when you can buy a Nikon or Canon D-SLR for half that with same image quality and a better camera.

it's almost impossible to imagine where would you need a pro-dslr-lever autofocus in RF-like camera as an artist! The only possible use would be in sports, and X100, or "serious artist" is a bit out of place shooting skiing, football or F1 racing :)

That pic in the lower right corner is a limited addition X100 in black?

That's what the article says. "Limited" to 10'000 units. Comes with leather pouch. Looks good to me but I'm afraid I'm so old that I prefer the classy chrome look :rolleyes:

Cheers
Ivo

Oh crap.. I may need to get this. A 50mm f1.4 and a 28mm f2 pancake is pretty much my ultimate lens setup on a small camera. The question is - do I sell my x100 to get it, and will they make more lenses for this setup - like a 35mm!

sooner or later, fuji will produce a 35mm for this, since this is a brand new system, I don't think it's fair to expect them to cover every focal length from the beginning, but over time... just like m4/3, or any other system that started from scratch, not everything is launched with the first camera

sooner or later, fuji will produce a 35mm for this, since this is a brand new system, I don't think it's fair to expect them to cover every focal length from the beginning, but over time... just like m4/3, or any other system that started from scratch, not everything is launched with the first camera

I'm aware of this, but it has an optical hybrid finder, which mean it will have set frame lines. what I was wondering is if they will expand the lens line or just keep it as-is...

I only hope that it will have at least AF or MF, not like x100 with no F at all.

Poor autofocus and too much shutter lag, from what I've read. At the price of over $1000, I won't even consider trying something like that. Not when you can buy a Nikon or Canon D-SLR for half that with same image quality and a better camera.

My x100 focusses fine, even in low light. ISO 5000, wide open, 1/50th, just fine. And Chris - the x100 definitely has NO shutter lag. Mine probably has less than my 5d.

Back