Fujinon XF 16mm f2.8 R WR lens - Images

Hey Mike! Are you using the EVF w the Xpro3 when you shoot with the 16?

Yes, Huss, I always use the EVF. But, with the 16mm on closeups of people on the street I often shoot manual focus (zone focus) with the distance set to 1 meter.

All the best,
Mike

From my daily walk.

DSCF0261.JPG

DSCF0276.JPG

DSCF0279.JPG

Fujifilm X-Pro3
Astia film simulation
Fujinon XF 16mm f2.8 R WR lens
Yokosuka, Japan - April 2020

All the best,
Mike

From my daily walk.

DSCF0266.JPG

DSCF0268.JPG

DSCF0283.JPG

Fujifilm X-Pro3
Astia film simulation
Fujinon XF 16mm f2.8 R WR lens

All the best,
Mike

Hashirimizu Beach

DSCF0271.JPG

DSCF0273.JPG

Fujifilm X-Pro3
Astia film simulation
Fujinon XF 16mm f2.8 lens

All the best,
Mike

Well done, Huss, excellent use of the 16mm lens; your results are outstanding!
I'm talking about all three of your posted images, not just the one above.

All the best,
Mike

The Maborikaigon Seawall

DSCF1607.JPG

DSCF1610.JPG

DSCF1608.JPG

X-Pro3, Fujinon XF 16mm f2.8 R WR lens
Astia film simulation
Yokosuka, Japan - May 2020

All the best,
Mike

Wow... you make great work with the little 16mm!

I like what I see, but can you tell us your opinion? Is it good? How do you see it in sharpness? Micro-contrast? Distortion?

Thanks in advance!

Wow... you make great work with the little 16mm!

I like what I see, but can you tell us your opinion? Is it good? How do you see it in sharpness? Micro-contrast? Distortion?

Thanks in advance!

Hello, Shab, you don’t specify who you’re directing your question at, but I assume you’re directing it at me.

In my uneducated opinion I think it’s a great lens. I say “uneducated” because I really don’t do tech talk. People discuss pictures and lenses here and use terms like barrel distortion, fringing, smearing, fall off, and all sorts of other terms that just make my eyes glaze over from a lack of understanding. I just make pictures and look at the results; I either like it or I don’t based on the overall visual effect. Often if I don’t like what I see I assume I’m the problem not the lens.

Having said all that, with this particular lens my biggest challenge is composition. When I shoot with lenses in the 35/50/75mm range I’m pretty comfortable with composing and making photographs that please me (maybe nobody else) and I can feel free to share with others. However, with a wide angle lens like the Fujinon XF 16mm f2.8 R WR lens it gets a little more complicated for me, especially when shooting street photography. For me it’s so important to get the main subject up-close, distortion free and in perfect focus. Then, it’s all about the background. There’s so much background and if it’s not interesting the whole picture falls flat. Putting a good composition together for a wide angle shot is a bit more tricky and requires much more effort (in my opinion).

Shab, when I look at your wide angle images I get inspired because you’ve mastered the whole composition thing. You’ve got the main subject locked in and the background all sorted out. Your images are always impressive.

Well, I probably didn’t answer your question the way you would have wanted it answered but I hope you understand.

All the best,
Mike

Hello, Shab, you don’t specify who you’re directing your question at, but I assume you’re directing it at me.

Yes Mike to you and Huss and all the people is sharing his/her pictures taken with this lens...

In my uneducated opinion I think it’s a great lens. I say “uneducated” because I really don’t do tech talk. People discuss pictures and lenses here and use terms like barrel distortion, fringing, smearing, fall off, and all sorts of other terms that just make my eyes glaze over from a lack of understanding. I just make pictures and look at the results; I either like it or I don’t based on the overall visual effect. Often if I don’t like what I see I assume I’m the problem not the lens.

Having said all that, with this particular lens my biggest challenge is composition. When I shoot with lenses in the 35/50/75mm range I’m pretty comfortable with composing and making photographs that please me (maybe nobody else) and I can feel free to share with others. However, with a wide angle lens like the Fujinon XF 16mm f2.8 R WR lens it gets a little more complicated for me, especially when shooting street photography. For me it’s so important to get the main subject up-close, distortion free and in perfect focus. Then, it’s all about the background. There’s so much background and if it’s not interesting the whole picture falls flat. Putting a good composition together for a wide angle shot is a bit more tricky and requires much more effort (in my opinion).

Thanks! I understand to you!

Shab, when I look at your wide angle images I get inspired because you’ve mastered the whole composition thing. You’ve got the main subject locked in and the background all sorted out. Your images are always impressive.

Thank you for so kind words... I really appreciate them. I love using 21mm/24mm lenses (16mm with the X-T3)... and sometimes I need to see through these lenses... I need to have wider vision than my eyes... so I take my camera and view through it and play with it. :)

Well, I probably didn’t answer your question the way you would have wanted it answered but I hope you understand.

All the best,
Mike

I understand Mike and thank you for your reply.

Warmest regards,
Xabier.

I met a man with a stroller full of dogs.
DSCF2815.JPG

If you can't keep up with mommy and daddy they'll drag you along.
DSCF2832.JPG

The late afternoon sunshine fills the train car that is taking me home.
DSCF2858.JPG

Astia film simulation
Yokohama, Japan - Nov 2020

All the best,
Mike

These guys couldn't get more than six feet from the front door of the convenience store before they sat down and started drinking their alcohol canned drinks. And, it's only about 10:00 in the morning. Welcome to Yokohama!
DSCF2866.JPG

Not everyone is getting drunk at this time of the day.
DSCF2869.JPG

I'm drinking coffee down by the waterfront. This 12oz cup of outstanding coffee is only 150 yen at "Gooze" coffee shop. I think marketing might have chosen a better name for the shop, but whatever, the coffee is good.
DSCF2872.JPG

Astia film simulation

All the best,
Mike

Well, well, well, a pretty young lady wearing a kimono in the Yama$hita park flower garden. Let's take a closer look.
DSCF2887.JPG

Even her handbag is beautiful.
DSCF2888.JPG

Just a few feet away from her is another charming young woman wearing a large sweater. It must have taken a lot of yarn to knit that sweater.
DSCF2890.JPG

Astia film simulation

All the best,
Mike

Back