Gallery - deletion for lack of interest or response

if you are looking for likes go to instagram , I only take pics for myself , if others like them I view that as a bonus , not the driving force to taking them .
As I put it elsewhere, I take snapshots for me. When they work for someone else, only then are they no longer snapshots but art.

Posting this primarily so the mods may know where members are going.

Over the past several months, I've posted several photos to the gallery that have gotten pretty high viewership but consistently zero response. It leads me to conclude that my style of photos are not wanted or appreciated here. Or maybe members just decided they don't like me and don't want to offer support. That's fair.

So, I've decided not to post where no one seems to be interested in seeing them.

Last week I posted an early attempt at portraiture -- a head and shoulders shot of my then girlfriend. It had over 150 views but no response. So I deleted it.

Today I have three photos recently posted. One art nude with 75+ views and a couple of head shots with 30 to 40+ views respectively. All, again, with zero response. No likes, dislikes or comments.

But I did notice that four selfies on the first page of the Gallery each got likes. Viewership on the front page seems to be roughly 10 to 20 views per photo.

No hard feelings, I've got other places to post which have more enthusiastic responses and replies.

So, I'll probably be deleting the images soon.

Just for illustration, here's my attempt at artistic nude that had the 75+ views and zero responses.

_OSR5068 1 by Brusby, on Flickr

I have encountered a few very nice people here and I wish to thank them for their friendship and support. I won't embarrass anyone by naming them, but you know who you are. I'll probably still stick around and may even try to post again in the future in case things change.

I wanted to support this place by posting here since it seems to have been struggling a bit lately.

Just for now I don't want my photos where they aren't wanted.
Brusby,

I'm late to this post. I just wanted to say that I've viewed all the images in your gallery and I really enjoyed them. I think you have a great eye. As far as the nudes/beauty/glamour photos go, I think they're great. I would be proud to call them my own. I especially loved "Nadia by Noctilux"; that's spectacular!!

all the best
Paul

I know that I can see my own gallery but when I try to look at comments on my photos or photos I have commented on I get a blank rff page so I would not have commented on these pics anyway and have given up on the gallery altogether. Perhaps I'm not the only one...

I suspect comments on one persons photo's in the RFF gallery follow the same pattern I see on Flickr: The more people you follow and whose work you comment on, the more comments and likes or faves you receive on your work. I have faved images by someone not previously known to me, and in return, they have faved 5-6 images of mine. And of course, the more groups/forums in which you post your photos, thus reaching a greater audience, the more likes and comments you will receive. As previously mentioned in this thread, give and you will receive.

@trix4ever your profile shows no comments posted or received. I jsut posted a comment on one of your pictures and now your profile shows a comment received.

@trix4ever your profile shows no comments posted or received. I jsut posted a comment on one of your pictures and now your profile shows a comment received.
Thank you, I see that. Great.
However I can assure you loads of my gallery photos had comments and I used to comment regularly on others photos.
I don't really care that they are all lost and I have to start over, but I just thought you should be aware of this (minor) issue which presumably others will suffer as well.
Thank you for your help, ir really is appreciated, Mark

I think the fundamental issues regarding comments on members' pictures are twofold:

First since the recent upgrades people have found the gallery rather clunky, slow, and more difficult to use. This has been remedied to a great extent, but people that used to post a lot of images and comments have been less active on the gallery pages. Hopefully they will start coming back in greater numbers. I think this is already starting to happen.

Second there is a certain degree of disconnectedness between the gallery and the main body of the site. As some have already noted, they rarely visit the gallery and/or prefer to post their work in threads on the main forum. I'm not sure how this could be remedied.

As to cliques, I think that there is a tendency for people to respond in kind. I.e. if someone comments on my work in the gallery I sometimes feel more obligated to respond to work of theirs. This may give the impression of a clique, but it is really just an expression of those who have always been more active in the gallery pages over many years of RFF membership. Like RHL above, I don't feel like I am part of any clique.

whats the latest @Dogman ? Still waiting to hear back to see if we are making any progress.

Zero. In Chrome, at least.

My ad blocker shows RFF is whitelisted. No other extensions exist in Chrome that would block.

I tried Firefox and I can view the Gallery. I don't use Firefox much but I might start. Seems to play better with the kids at RFF.

Second there is a certain degree of disconnectedness between the gallery and the main body of the site. As some have already noted, they rarely visit the gallery and/or prefer to post their work in threads on the main forum. I'm not sure how this could be remedied.

I've found it easier to post photos in the forum threads according to a request for images on a theme or topic, and also because file size is not so much an issue, i.e., I don't have to re-size images that I would like to upload.

Post the image in the gallery, and then link the image into a thread.

Use the "Copy Image URL" button, visible under the gallery image, and paste the URL into a forum post.

The video below shows how to paste the URL into the text entry window.

Screen Shot 2023-02-21 at 9.23.12 AM.png

That will offer the most exposure.

Brusby,

I'm late to this post. I just wanted to say that I've viewed all the images in your gallery and I really enjoyed them. I think you have a great eye. As far as the nudes/beauty/glamour photos go, I think they're great. I would be proud to call them my own. I especially loved "Nadia by Noctilux"; that's spectacular!!

all the best
Paul
Thank you Paul. Very kind of you!

I really like brusby’s photos. Post some more please. I belong to a few FB street photo groups and last year I posted a photo of a random person crossing the street not any of the taboo subjects like a homeless person. The subject had an interesting look so why I took the photo, and someone in the group wrote a long diatribe about how it was invasion of privacy. I replied this is a street photography group isn’t it? You can’t satisfy everyone.

Zero. In Chrome, at least.

My ad blocker shows RFF is whitelisted. No other extensions exist in Chrome that would block.

I tried Firefox and I can view the Gallery. I don't use Firefox much but I might start. Seems to play better with the kids at RFF.

The entire site should now be visible with Adblock enabled. @Dogman, @farlymac can you confirm?

I don't really post in the gallery hoping others will like my photos. If they do, that's very pleasant. I don't go checking to see how much approval I get. For me, It's just a matter of sharing, and this is the place where I feel most comfortable sharing. I do like your nude study, Brusby.

brusby: let me suggest an experiment for you. Print about 8 of your photos, do 8x10 but low cost / disposable. Staple / thumbtack / tape them on some public wall beside a busy sidewalk. Stand back anonymously and watch reactions as the public passes by. That will tell you a hell of a lot about reaction to your work.

I don't really post in the gallery hoping others will like my photos. If they do, that's very pleasant. I don't go checking to see how much approval I get. For me, It's just a matter of sharing, and this is the place where I feel most comfortable sharing. I do like your nude study, Brusby.

Thanks Rob, 'glad you like the photo.

Everyone seems to think my intent is all about seeking more likes or approval of my photos. Maybe I didn't make my case clearly enough. It's primarily about a sense of hostility or resentment from certain members. I don't know whether it's that they dislike the nudes or some other reason, but it's real and palpable. It's merely made evident in their lack of responses to my photos. There is a definite chilly feeling here and for that reason I had decided to leave.

It's also about my desire that this be a more vibrant community, one which attracts rather than repels good photographers. I had hoped to point out the lack of support by way of very low feedback and likes, coupled with the cliquish air about the place, that was effectively running off good, talented photographers.

I wasn't going to mention this, but so many people seem to think I want or need more views or likes, I guess I need to set the record straight. At over one hundred and fourteen million views currently on my Flickr account, I get literally tens or perhaps hundreds of thousands of likes and comments -- often hundreds or thousands daily (see activity chart below), I certainly don't need any more likes or feedback here other than some deminimus amount that would show a lack of resentment. But, I accept the fact that things won't change here and I've decided to be content with the very small audience of a few extremely nice people who have expressed appreciation of my photos.

brusby: let me suggest an experiment for you. Print about 8 of your photos, do 8x10 but low cost / disposable. Staple / thumbtack / tape them on some public wall beside a busy sidewalk. Stand back anonymously and watch reactions as the public passes by. That will tell you a hell of a lot about reaction to your work.

Thanks Bob, but as I mentioned to Rob, I don't need or want that kind of feedback. I get plenty of feedback on my photos already on my Flickr account and other places.

I am immensely grateful to anyone who likes my photos, but as far as likes and feedback here go I don't really need 'em to let me know what people think of my photos.

flickr activity Screen Shot 2023-02-21 at 8.43.30 PM.png

Last edited:
I really like the gallery here and always have but I also realise that this (RFF) is predominantly a gear site and if a photo doesn't ring the populace's bells so be it ... I'm not about to take my toys and go home because of it. RFF is what it is ... and I'm glad to be back here after a bit of an absence. Just keep posting what 'you' want to post Brusby and let the chips fall where they may. :)

Back