Gallery - deletion for lack of interest or response

Everyone seems to think my intent is all about seeking more likes or approval of my photos. Maybe I didn't make my case clearly enough. It's primarily about a sense of hostility or resentment from certain members. ...

... I had hoped to point out the lack of support by way of very low feedback and likes, coupled with the cliquish air about the place, ...

I wasn't going to mention this, but so many people seem to think I want or need more views or likes, I guess I need to set the record straight. ...

...as far as likes and feedback here go I don't really need 'em to let me know what people think of my photos.

It might have helped people understand your intent if you had posted the above rather than the original GBCW post...
Just an observation.

Thanks Rob, 'glad you like the photo.

Everyone seems to think my intent is all about seeking more likes or approval of my photos. Maybe I didn't make my case clearly enough. It's primarily about a sense of hostility or resentment from certain members. I don't know whether it's that they dislike the nudes or some other reason, but it's real and palpable. It's merely made evident in their lack of responses to my photos. There is a definite chilly feeling here and for that reason I had decided to leave.

It's also about my desire that this be a more vibrant community, one which attracts rather than repels good photographers. I had hoped to point out the lack of support by way of very low feedback and likes, coupled with the cliquish air about the place, that was effectively running off good, talented photographers.

I wasn't going to mention this, but so many people seem to think I want or need more views or likes, I guess I need to set the record straight. At over one hundred and fourteen million views currently on my Flickr account, I get literally tens or perhaps hundreds of thousands of likes and comments -- often hundreds or thousands daily (see activity chart below), I certainly don't need any more likes or feedback here other than some deminimus amount that would show a lack of resentment. But, I accept the fact that things won't change here and I've decided to be content with the very small audience of a few extremely nice people who have expressed appreciation of my photos.

Thanks Bob, but as I mentioned to Rob, I don't need or want that kind of feedback. I get plenty of feedback on my photos already on my Flickr account and other places.

I am immensely grateful to anyone who likes my photos, but as far as likes and feedback here go I don't really need 'em to let me know what people think of my photos.

View attachment 4816794
I see where you're coming from on the subject of getting feedback on your photos. Myself, I consider what you do to be many pay grades above what I can accomplish, mainly because I'm not a portrait photographer. Not that I haven't dabbled at it every so often, but I am a bit shy about taking photos of people in general. Just part of my upbringing I suppose. But back to you, what you do is almost perfection in my eyes, and while I might have left a comment or two if the old Gallery had not been so awkward to navigate after a while, I likely would have ceased leaving comments because what can I say time after time when you have posted another fine example again and again. But then, now that we have emojis to paste all over the place one could start using those in leu of a comment. And like I've said before, it may take a while for folks to start using the Gallery again. Heck, I might even start perusing it more often now that I don't have to go through resetting my browser settings every time I visit RFF now.

PF

but I am a bit shy about taking photos of people in general. Just part of my upbringing I suppose.
Yep, it can be a little intimidating, I agree. But, if you can ever make yourself do it enough to get comfortable, it can be really rewarding.

I was always taught to be very polite and never stare at strangers and especially never stare or gawk at women. Of course to do a decent photo it's impossible without scrutinizing your model, the light and the relationship to the background. So, I often tell a new model about my upbringing and natural reluctance. I think it makes everyone more comfortable.

One of the tricks, at least for me, is to have an understanding with your subject that y'all are just gonna have fun regardless of how the photos turn out. It takes the pressure off. Then try to shoot as wide a variety of poses and backgrounds as possible. Don't get stuck trying to perfect a single pose. Many will suck -- at least that's my experience -- but you may be surprised at how good, or at least promising some are.

I'd love to see some of your people photos! Thanks for the nice comment!!!

Last edited:
A year or two ago, I asked myself why I have a flickr account. I use flickr as a form of self expression, where I post images of personal or possibly public/historical significance, and I also enjoy interacting with others with similar interests. Getting Likes or feedback was only of secondary or tertiary importance, as all I wanted to do with my images was put them into the world, and let the dice fall as they may.

It's interesting how we all use RFF and other forums for different purposes. For some, posting photos and getting feedback is important, and if they don't get any responses, they don't feel their time or effort is appreciated. For others, RFF is primarily about written discussion. Then there are lurkers who probably never post, but avidly read what is written, or pore through the image threads.

And to be honest, I NEVER look at member galleries on RFF, I barely know they are there. I'll go through image threads for lenses that interest me, or maybe a few themed images threads, but apart from that, I don't think I've ever looked at the member galleries directly. I just enjoy posting the occasional photo and talking to people about gear.

I am appreciative of RFF. This is the only forum I post to (although I lurk on several others) and I appreciate the social aspect of this site and the sharing we all do amongst ourselves - opinions, photos, links, anecdotes, jokes, experience, etc... . There is tons of talent on this site and I do enjoy a lot of the imagery. And, there are also a lot of bright people here.

I notice as I get older, I am getting a bit more mellower and tolerant of and not get so upset at things.

brusby,

Will you agree to the following?

Any post of a photograph of a nude to a thread or a Gallery must be accompanied by a photograph of the photographer, nude and in the same pose. The same goes for a post of a photograph of someone in underwear, that is, underwear : underwear.

... y'all are just gonna have fun regardless of how the photos turn out. It takes the pressure off. ...
Meeting beautiful women can be so satisfying that no one thinks about interrupting those intense moments by taking pictures.
It's a pity who has to buy such moments with a camera as a barrier.
Certainly not the kind of comment the photographer is asking for...:cool:

I guess I just think that since I don't post pictures here (or anywhere, actually), I am not qualified to comment on the galleries. Meaning, particularly if I post a negative comment, I don't think that's fair to the photographer since I'm not "in the arena" myself and holding my work out for criticism as well. I appreciate the efforts of those who do post -- you have more guts than I do! As well as more talent, it's clear.

On Netflix at the moment there is a beautiful Japanese nine part series called Makanai. Two teenage girls leave their village to go to Kyoto. Raises some issues of the fate of women in that society, but their friendship is the backbone of the series and the realized destiny of each, and the cooking. I don’t how it’s shot but it’s so beautifully done.

On Netflix at the moment there is a beautiful Japanese nine part series called Makanai. Two teenage girls leave their village to go to Kyoto. Raises some issues of the fate of women in that society, but their friendship is the backbone of the series and the realized destiny of each, and the cooking. I don’t how it’s shot but it’s so beautifully done.
Not sure if you meant to post this comment here, but I thought I might reply anyway.

Anything shot specifically for Netflix must be shot with cameras from their approved list. These include cinema cameras from Arri, RED, Panasonic and Sony. BTS footage of The Makanai shows a Sony Venice camera with a lens that I cannot identify, but by the look of the footage and the lens, I'm guessing it is a rehoused vintage lens of some sort. Most cinema lenses are either black or in the case of modern Angenieux lenses, dark grey. It is rare for cinema lenses to have silver chrome housing. It definitely isn't a Zeiss Master Prime, Cooke lens, Angenieux or Leica.

The Sony Venice is a full frame cinema camera with 6K resolution, and can also shoot in Super 35/aps-c modes. It is Sony's top level cinema camera and has been used to shoot many Hollywood productions.

Yep, it can be a little intimidating, I agree. But, if you can ever make yourself do it enough to get comfortable, it can be really rewarding.

I was always taught to be very polite and never stare at strangers and especially never stare or gawk at women. Of course to do a decent photo it's impossible without scrutinizing your model, the light and the relationship to the background. So, I often tell a new model about my upbringing and natural reluctance. I think it makes everyone more comfortable.

One of the tricks, at least for me, is to have an understanding with your subject that y'all are just gonna have fun regardless of how the photos turn out. It takes the pressure off. Then try to shoot as wide a variety of poses and backgrounds as possible. Don't get stuck trying to perfect a single pose. Many will suck -- at least that's my experience -- but you may be surprised at how good, or at least promising some are.

I'd love to see some of your people photos! Thanks for the nice comment!!!
Most of my portraiture work was done back before digitizing the image was a common thing, and it would take me quite a bit of digging to find those negs to get them scanned. However, the last portrait I took was in 2011 on my very first digital camera, the consumer model Panasonic TZ-3. My neighbor at the time wanted a photo for her Facebook page, and I obliged with a short session in her living room. Below is the image she selected to use.

P1060650_2.jpgP1060650_2.jpg

I wouldn't call it my best work, but not bad with an old 1/1.28 sensor at 1/40 sec.

PF

Oh, very nice PF! Great way to handle the glasses issue by side lighting her so you don't get huge reflections right in the middle of her pupils. I really like how you have detail in her eyes -- often very hard to do without dodging or supplemental lighting -- and also her skin looks very natural with nice translucency. Side lighting can sometimes be a bit too harsh and can exaggerate facial wrinkles and blemishes, but your photo looks lovely, with almost a Rembrandt lighting feel. There must have been a bit of fill from a reflective wall or other lights because the lighting ratio doesn't seem too extreme -- I'd guess maybe 3 or 4 to 1 -- which is just right for a side lit portrait. Great job! Keep it up and thanks for sharing.

Last edited:
Oh, very nice PF! Great way to handle the glasses issue by side lighting her so you don't get huge reflections right in the middle of her pupils. I really like how you have detail in her eyes -- often very hard to do without dodging or supplemental lighting -- and also her skin looks very natural with nice translucency. Side lighting can sometimes be a bit too harsh and can exaggerate facial wrinkles and blemishes, but your photo looks lovely, with almost a Rembrandt lighting feel. There must have been a bit of fill from a reflective wall or other lights because the lighting ratio doesn't seem too extreme -- I'd guess maybe 3 or 4 to 1 -- which is just right for a side lit portrait. Great job! Keep it up and thanks for sharing.
Yeah, it was a bit difficult keeping the glasses from totally glaring from the balcony door. The walls and ceiling were all white so plenty of bounce all around. Thanks for the kind words.

PF

if you are looking for likes go to instagram , I only take pics for myself , if others like them I view that as a bonus , not the driving force to taking them .

What he said... Isn't that the essence of anything in life?
I never understood of doing things in order to please others.

Posting this primarily so the mods may know where members are going.

Over the past several months, I've posted several photos to the gallery that have gotten pretty high viewership but consistently zero response. It leads me to conclude that my style of photos are not wanted or appreciated here. Or maybe members just decided they don't like me and don't want to offer support. That's fair.

So, I've decided not to post where no one seems to be interested in seeing them.
A bit of a non-sequitur, that?
Just for now I don't want my photos where they aren't wanted.
I was over at DPR (the original, not the recent upstarts) for over a dozen years. I saw their Gallery as a place to show off and well beyond my own abilities. So, before moving here, I deleted all four images from my gallery there and probably won't add any here ...

Back