GAS attack, somebody talk me out of buying an Nikon S2

Some prices have come down, mostly on the rarer collector lenses. But I think most of the prices on Nikon RF are similar to what they used to be. I bought a S2 and 5cm f/1.4 for about $350 in 2008. You can get roughly the same deal today (I just bought a body for only $120 but it needs some work). Of course when you account for inflation the price has gone "down."

Around 2010 I paid $650 for a M2, and that was when you could pick up a M6 for under $1K. I think there is a lot of interest from younger generations in mostly Leica gear, since those prices have tripled in some cases, and it bleeds a bit into Nikon and Canon RF gear. But it's definitely a great time to buy more Nikon RF gear. I try to buy some from members like enasniearth every time they're listed in the classifieds, and I've been fortunate to get some nice deals from many forum members!

I feel like I ought to share my Nikon RF collection in this thread. I have bought a few new items since I took this photo a few weeks ago, including an S2! The Nikon RF system is not as diverse as Leica LTM or M, but there are still many avenues to go down and lots of fun lenses to explore.

filedata/fetch?id=4794596&d=1654444623

My S2 is currently on the bench getting an amateur CLA -

filedata/fetch?id=4794599&d=1658531168

thats an eye catching collection, very nice

I've never been a fan of the Nikon RFs, or really any of the Contax derivatives. The ergonomics are all wrong. I think this is a love it or hate it deal, some people love it, but I'm in the hate it camp. If you have a chance to handle a Nikon RF, you'll know in a second which camp you fall into. If it doesn't "click" with you right away, don't kid yourself, it's probably never going to grow on you. It is also an old-fashioned camera, even for the time, with its lift and set shutter dial. This is a feature I don't personally have an issue with, but I know some people find such a thing annoying. Objectively, your M2 is a better camera in all major respects.

That's my critical assessment. My fair assessment is, get one in your hands. Once you handle it you will know whether it's worth the money or not. Seeing a real camera is a sure way to kill GAS 90% of the time. But if the S2 impresses you in person, by all means go with it.

wise words, thanks for replying

I have far too many cameras too, including an M2 (and an M3). But I didn't let that stop me from buying an S2 w/ Nikkor-SC 50mm f1.4. And you shouldn't let your camera collection stop you either. And and and... you can use a Nikkor 50 on an M2 w/ the right adapter.

In fact, another reason to get the S2 is that it opens up the world of Nikkor and Contax lenses (not to mention Voigtlander SC mount lenses), and there's some really wonderful glass out there for reasonable prices.

Happy to join the enablers...

Sounds great but if I spend anymore money on new glass the wife may kill me!

The Nikkor 8.5cm F2 is a must have lens.

hayride3a.jpg

I've never been a fan of the Nikon RFs, or really any of the Contax derivatives. The ergonomics are all wrong. I think this is a love it or hate it deal, some people love it, but I'm in the hate it camp. If you have a chance to handle a Nikon RF, you'll know in a second which camp you fall into. If it doesn't "click" with you right away, don't kid yourself, it's probably never going to grow on you. It is also an old-fashioned camera, even for the time, with its lift and set shutter dial. This is a feature I don't personally have an issue with, but I know some people find such a thing annoying. Objectively, your M2 is a better camera in all major respects.

That's my critical assessment. My fair assessment is, get one in your hands. Once you handle it you will know whether it's worth the money or not. Seeing a real camera is a sure way to kill GAS 90% of the time. But if the S2 impresses you in person, by all means go with it.

There are many people that are in both camps! For those in both camps, it means having to buy fewer lenses...I have the 50/2 and 35/2.5 in S mount and use them on the Leicas too.

I much prefer the film loading of the S2 over the M2. And I prefer the 1:1 viewfinder (both eyes open.)

Some prices have come down, mostly on the rarer collector lenses. But I think most of the prices on Nikon RF are similar to what they used to be. I bought a S2 and 5cm f/1.4 for about $350 in 2008. You can get roughly the same deal today (I just bought a body for only $120 but it needs some work). Of course when you account for inflation the price has gone "down."

Around 2010 I paid $650 for a M2, and that was when you could pick up a M6 for under $1K. I think there is a lot of interest from younger generations in mostly Leica gear, since those prices have tripled in some cases, and it bleeds a bit into Nikon and Canon RF gear. But it's definitely a great time to buy more Nikon RF gear. I try to buy some from members like enasniearth every time they're listed in the classifieds, and I've been fortunate to get some nice deals from many forum members!

I feel like I ought to share my Nikon RF collection in this thread. I have bought a few new items since I took this photo a few weeks ago, including an S2! The Nikon RF system is not as diverse as Leica LTM or M, but there are still many avenues to go down and lots of fun lenses to explore.

filedata/fetch?id=4794596&d=1654444623

My S2 is currently on the bench getting an amateur CLA -

filedata/fetch?id=4794599&d=1658531168

Great collection. But where did you get that blue workbench? It looks very useful.

I have far too many cameras, (I think I may not be alone on this matter), I mainly use my M2 and CL while shooting 35mm and a %00cm when shoot medium format. I have always had a hankering for a Nikon rangefinder, always liked Nikon glass. I have GAS and a recently advertised S2 with 5cm 1.4 is not helping matters. I know I do not need another camera............help what do I do!

If you want it, can afford it and it seems a good deal, Do It.

When you get it, use a film and make sure the higher speeds are not tapering

(when I got back from the U.K in 2003 I found the shutter was tapering and the 50/1.4 lens was fogged)

A service by a competent Nikon agent and I love it.

If you want it, can afford it and it seems a good deal, Do It.

When you get it, use a film and make sure the higher speeds are not tapering

(when I got back from the U.K in 2003 I found the shutter was tapering and the 50/1.4 lens was fogged)

A service by a competent Nikon agent and I love it.

who did you get to service your Nikon

You know you want it. If you can afford it, buy it and treat it gently, and if you change your mind, you'll be able to sell it for what you paid, or perhaps even more.

You know you want it. If you can afford it, buy it and treat it gently, and if you change your mind, you'll be able to sell it for what you paid, or perhaps even more.

Again wise words, I often tell the wife cameras are an 'investment'.

Back