GAS attack, somebody talk me out of buying an Nikon S2

I love my S2 — of the three rangefinders I own (M3 & Bessa R2 are the others), I find the focus wheel of the S2 the best for getting critical focus. Ironically, since I mostly shoot using the voigtlander 50mm color skopar or a 21mm, it’s also the camera where critical focus is least important.

Theyre beautiful old cameras, a joy to use and very underrated. I would definitely pick one up — and get a wide! One of the voigtlanders, 21 or 25 is perfect.

000077.JPG?raw=1.jpg

210823000035690031.jpg?raw=1.jpg

210823000035700029.jpg?raw=1.jpg

I love my S2 — of the three rangefinders I own (M3 & Bessa R2 are the others), I find the focus wheel of the S2 the best for getting critical focus. Ironically, since I mostly shoot using the voigtlander 50mm color skopar or a 21mm, it’s also the camera where critical focus is least important.

Theyre beautiful old cameras, a joy to use and very underrated. I would definitely pick one up — and get a wide! One of the voigtlanders, 21 or 25 is perfect

Nice images thanks for sharing

I went the opposite way, starting with a Contax IIa, then an S2, then a Leica M4-P. Got the Contax because it was less expensive than any Leica at the time, maybe even more so today. There were a couple of things I didn't care for on it, mostly the smallish viewfinder. So, when I decided to change systems TomA talked me through the process, and I settled on an S2. Very enjoyable to use, and the lenses are superb, even the smaller aperture ones. Still, the reason behind getting the M4-P was all the available frame lines instead of having to rely on external viewfinders. But the S2 is the one I like the most. I can't really quantify why that is, it just speaks to me in a way no other rangefinder camera does. Using the bottom half of the eveready case softens the handling a bit and adds a touch of class.

I say, if you have the opportunity, handle the camera first to see if it feels right to you. Then make up your mind on whether or not to get it. If you do purchase it, and it is in good condition then you should be very satisfied with it.

PF

its always a worry when you buy a vintage camera, you have to factor in a cla

It’s pretty easy to find original Nikon RFs that have never been serviced, that are still well within acceptable margins for shutter accuracy and don’t need service. That doesn’t mean they couldn’t use a cleaning. :) Of the 20 or so I’ve owned (and maybe 100 more than I’ve handled) only a couple needed a CLA, one of those was an early S that I sent to Pete Smith (RIP.)

Leicas are a completely different story. :)

An Original Paint Black S2 with that early Black 5cm F1.4 is rare and expensive... Beautiful camera. Probably sell for 10x to 20x what the same camera and lens in Chrome will run. DSC00020.jpg

This is my early S2, a real beater- the 219th made. Works great. Shown with a Helios-103 that is shimmed for the Nikon.

Thank you, Brian, together with my early black M2 button rewind this camera makes me really proud. The Nikon rangefinders were not imported in Europe so here, in The Netherlands, people ask me often were I got this camera.
Apart from just rare it is beautifully made, the black finish is much better than the black finish of the early black M Leicas. It is neither dull nor shiny. It doesn't bubble. The 331109 all black Nikkor is in a very good condition and draws different from the later f1.4 Nikkors.

gelatin silver print (nikkor s.c. 50mm f1.4 331109) nikon s2 6170923

48413194917_f3dcefae0f_b.jpg

Erik, I don't know how you do it...many, many excellent clicks, week after week, with one 50mm or another.
We have often been assured that 50mm lenses are "boring."
Hmmm...perhaps boring pics are made by boring photographers. ;-)

Many thanks for all you do on RFF.

It’s pretty easy to find original Nikon RFs that have never been serviced, that are still well within acceptable margins for shutter accuracy and don’t need service. That doesn’t mean they couldn’t use a cleaning. :) Of the 20 or so I’ve owned (and maybe 100 more than I’ve handled) only a couple needed a CLA, one of those was an early S that I sent to Pete Smith (RIP.)

Leicas are a completely different story. :)

This is heart warming to hear but probably not good for my wallet!

Thank you, Brian, together with my early black M2 button rewind this camera makes me really proud. The Nikon rangefinders were not imported in Europe so here, in The Netherlands, people ask me often were I got this camera.
Apart from just rare it is beautifully made, the black finish is much better than the black finish of the early black M Leicas. It is neither dull nor shiny. It doesn't bubble. The 331109 all black Nikkor is in a very good condition and draws different from the later f1.4 Nikkors.

gelatin silver print (nikkor s.c. 50mm f1.4 331109) nikon s2 6170923

Stunning image and thanks for sharing your thoughts, thats what makes this place so so special

Erik, I don't know how you do it...many, many excellent clicks, week after week, with one 50mm or another.
We have often been assured that 50mm lenses are "boring."
Hmmm...perhaps boring pics are made by boring photographers. ;-)

Many thanks for all you do on RFF.

I was brought up in a time when a camera bosy came with a standard lens, (50mm or 40mm with the MX package0, have always leant towards the 50mm focal length. :)

Back