Got my first Leica - M8 - broken shutter right out of the box???

KenBPhotos

Local time
10:28 AM
Hey guys, I registered not long ago in anticipation of purchasing a used M8 to add to my collection of photography gear. I shot exclusively with DSLRs up until recently when I looked into rangefinders. I was amazed at what they give you back. I don't have roots in film, but I wanted to feel an aperture ring and manually focus. I wanted to remove the creature comforts of a 5D MK III and go back to the way it started to see what it's like. I also loved the portability of the m-systems. Carrying around 40lbs of gear to the zoo just doesn't make sense anymore.

Anyway, after doing some quick research into keh.com they seemed a decent enough dealer, so I buy a black M8 in condition ex+. I get the camera from UPS and it's silver. Ok, you know what I kind of like it in silver so it's not the end of the world, especially considering it's an amazing shape. So I pop in an old SD card I had laying around and the battery and slide it over to S and hit the shutter.

The initial clunk sounded fantastic, but the re-cock sounded really odd to me. It's VERY loud (to me at least) and has a whurring noise to it. I called Leica and hit the shutter a few times over the phone for the technician and he said it sounds a little different, but sometimes they can have some "character" he told me. I don't know what to think having no previous Leica experience. He told me to bring it to Bergen County in NJ (not too far from me) to have it checked out, but I'm really worried after reading of all the failed shutters.

I checked the shutter count and it has only 2900 shutters. I also update the firmware to the newest version.

I got it for $1900 so this could be a great deal, but I am very worried there's a problem with the shutter. It's the older 31097xx serial.

I recorded the sound of the shutter for you guys to hear. I'd love to hear your opinions on if it's normal or not.

Thanks,
Kenan

Link to shutter...
https://soundcloud.com/keanenk/m8-shutter

the tone of it sounds a little odd, BUT that might just be from the recording itself. Otherwise, the length of the sound seems fine...the M8 has a pretty loud shutter. These were made quieter in the M8.1/M8.2 after the upgrades.

Just check the different speeds by taking photos as well.....

I wouldn't worry as long as it takes pictures as it should. Since you bought from KEH, it should have limited warranty, right?

EDIT: I just listened to your recording, sounds almost like mine did, and it always worked flawlessly. I recently used that of a friend and it was much quieter, despite having the same 1/8000 shutter. So I don't think anything is wrong with it.

Sounds about like mine did, albeit somewhat higher in pitch.

Now you know why people longed for an M8/9 with a manual cocking lever.

The shutter issues with the M8 had nothing to do with the sound I believe. I had the shutter issue on my original M8 and it still sounded the same as a fully operational M8 as I remember.

Wow, this is a great forum. Thanks for the quick responses!

I have to say I'm kinda shocked that's normal. I would way rather manually recock it than listen to that every time, but that's a relief. This charger is ridconcolously big too. They're a pretty quirky company I guess. It was funny cause when I talked to the Leica technician about it, I mentioned I was worried because of the shutter problems and he acted like 1 out of every 10,000 made did that. He said it wasn't an issue really. I think they're very proud, bordering on arrogant haha, but he was very nice.

Oh, and it seems to take pictures of various speed perfectly fine. I don't have a lens yet though. Minor issue I know. I'm going to B&H tomorrow to get one. I decided on the Zeiss 35 f/2 Biogon. Any opinions on that lens? I want a Summicron really, but it seems to be way more money for the same thing or essentially slightly worse in some regards. The biogon seems to be sharper and has better bokeh from what I've read...

I had the same thought when I first got a used M8, the return sound was horrid and labored. I searched the interwebz looking for answers and the videos I found on the sound werent much help, not a single video I found used a off camera, directional mic. Making it really hard to hear what was really going on. I just gave up and got used to it. It was never a problem, and other M8 owners that have heard it didnt think it was a problem either.

That's a typical M8 shutter sound alright. You could change the shutter advance in the menu to discrete - it still sounds the same, but seperates the shutter sound (which is nice and quiet) from the re-cock sound.

Zeiss ZM 35mm 2.0 meant to be a fine lens. I got a second hand Summarit 35mm (2.5) for a decent price and am very happy with it. If you are shooting colour get an IR/UV block filter with the lens.

Oh, and it seems to take pictures of various speed perfectly fine. I don't have a lens yet though. Minor issue I know. I'm going to B&H tomorrow to get one. I decided on the Zeiss 35 f/2 Biogon. Any opinions on that lens? I want a Summicron really, but it seems to be way more money for the same thing or essentially slightly worse in some regards. The biogon seems to be sharper and has better bokeh from what I've read...

i would suggest a 40mm Summicron, which is as good as a 35mm Summicron pre-asph, and much, much cheaper. I don't know if B&H has it, but Adorama probably does.

This charger is ridconcolously big too.
I'm not sure which charger you have but the newer one is a little smaller.

The shutter sound is normal - loud - but normal. You can shoot in the discreet mode. The shutter will not re-cock until you take your finger off the shutter button.

i would suggest a 40mm Summicron, which is as good as a 35mm Summicron pre-asph, and much, much cheaper. I don't know if B&H has it, but Adorama probably does.

I own the 40mm, it's a fantastic lens, but the FOV is distinctly narrower than a 35mm - especially allowing for the crop factor.

If you don't mind the fact that it's physically bigger, the 35mm Biogon seems to be easily up to the quality of any 35mm Summicron.

I have dealt with KEH many times over the years. Anything that remotely resembled a problem they fixed in a snap.

I1) I would tell them immediately that you bought a black M8 and got a chrome M8 - right there is weird.

2) I will also wager they will take it back and look at it themselves and correct any problem or give you a refund.

As for the shutter problem, I can't say one way or the other.

That shutter and re-cock sound is normal. It sounds louad when you are the one using the camera. Much less so for anyone sitting for a Portrait or who happens to be nearby. Rest assured although far from silent, it's not as loud as it seems to be.
Grab a Zhou Leather half case. This will dampen the sound as well and improve grip while protecting the body.
Good luck with your new camera:)

That sounds differently from my M8 (goes up to 1/8000 sec.); the shutter sounds normal, but the recocking (which is the whirr at the end, not the clack in the beginning of every shutter button firing) sounds really odd.

I own the 40mm, it's a fantastic lens, but the FOV is distinctly narrower than a 35mm - especially allowing for the crop factor.

If you don't mind the fact that it's physically bigger, the 35mm Biogon seems to be easily up to the quality of any 35mm Summicron.

Image-wise, I'd say it's beyond any 35mm Summicron-M, for sure.

the M8 has a pretty loud shutter. These were made quieter in the M8.1/M8.2 after the upgrades.

They all vary regardless of the 'upgrade'. The aim of the M8.2 shutter was to make it generally quieter than the original, but the individual unit variation was wider than the lowered volume.

Back