GREEN Jupiter-11 in Contax Kiev Mount

Sonnar Brian

Product of the Fifties
Staff member
Local time
9:23 AM
I picked up this 1962 J-11 for my Contax recently, waiting for test pictures back. It's in great shape, looks VERY sharp using a loupe to check the focus, and was spot-on -no adjustment required-.

And it is green. Beautiful paintjob, looks original. Front coating looks magenta. It was picked up locally, I traded some repairwork on Five Zeiss 5cm f1.5 lenses for some lenses. Also picked up a beautiful '59 J-9 in the deal.

picture.php

picture.php

Have any of you seen other Jupiters in these "army" like colors?

I had it out today photographing cherry blossoms. Long lenses on RF's are not as popular as they once were. But, they can focus to ~4ft and give a 2.7x magnification. That can be very useful. For the price, they are well worth having.

I had to adjust both J-9's that I own, the 1959 lens and a "new old stock" 1975 J-9. Both required about 0.5mm to be added to focus correctly on my Contax. The instructions that came with many Russian lenses suggested that the lens be adjusted to work with a particular camera. Not hard to do, and well worth the effort.

It will be interesting to see the results, as the J11 doesn't seem very popular.

That's probably because RFs are trendy with wide-angles right now. The only real knock against the Jupiter-11 is that it's not terribly fast at f/4. I have two, and the images are superb. It's worth noting that the Kiev-mount version of the lens can focus 1 meter closer than the Fed/Zorki version.

I've never seen a painted Jupiter before. I've seen green-painted Feds and Zorkis before, but the paintwork hasn't extended to the lens. Looks nice!

I remember seeing a Zorki 3M with a J-3 on Ebay, both in green paint. We thought it was a recent repaint, but now I am not so sure. This lens looks like factory original paint, just really high quality. Paint looks like something that the military would use. Usually, they got the "cherry-picked" lenses. I'll know when the photo's come back. If it looks good, I'll shoot a comparison between the J-11 and Nikkor 13.5cm F3.5 in 'C'ontax mount. I've done the same with the '75 J-9 and Nikkor 8.5cm f2 on the Contax.

My J-11 is super sharp Brian, I think you'll be impressed with the results. Interestingly the focus on mine was also bang on when I got it, but my J-9 needed about the same adjustment as yours to focus correctly.

Very nice looking J-11, Brian! Now to find a matching green Kiev and finder.
I looked for a long time to find an appropriate hood for mine. Worth the time and wasn't too pricey. I had been using the hood from my J-8--never could decide if too short was really better than none at all but I used it anyway. I found a hood on ebay which wasn't a whole lot longer but much narrower and it has made a big difference. I got it from ebay store "photo_widget" lots of vintage hoods, filters, and misc, stuff. He's got several 40.5mm tele hoods now, in fact.
Rob

Last edited:
`Green` J-11 were used in military equipment. For instance, in helicopters fire control unit.

WOW! That is interesting to know. I'll be keeping an eye open for other ones. This one is very nice. Test roll goes in Monday.

Yes the green color also reminded me of the "military green" as it was used in Bulgaria lighter than the "western green" which tends more to be olive.
Great find!

Very cool looking lens, Brian.

A few weeks ago someone posted a link to a Photo Arsenal (Hong Kong) *bay listing for a Canon 7 which had been painted green. They painted the entire camera, lens and camera case green. Including the camera leather, strap, lens barrel, you name it. Perhaps with a can of Krylon or Rustoleum. Your lens looks much better though.

That is a Sandmar "Zoom-Vue" finder, I think made for the Argus C-44. It is a 1:1 view, and uses an adjustable bright-line mask for 35mm ~ 135mm lenses.

$5 at a camera show, was opaque when I got it. Popped all the glass and it Cleaned up beautifully.

Lens-Jupiter-11-green.jpg

More authentic? Also russian `military` green likes to deviate.

Wow! Separated at Birth! These do not look like repaints, too nice. Test roll is in, we'll see how it does on film. It looks like a really good lens, based on using a 15x loupe to confirm the focus.

How are the photo's with this Green J-11?

I scanned the test Roll with a newly CLA'd Contax II using the green J-11, 1975 Black J-9, and 1955 J-3. I'm very pleased.

This J-11 is as sharp as any 135mm RF lenses that I've used.

Close-up and Wide-open, on the Contax II. Fujicolor 200 film. Focus on the left edge of the blossom, then composed using the aux finder. I tried to keep the camera in the same position while shifting finders and composing. Hand-Held.

picture.php

Tight Crop:
picture.php

Back