Happy Independence Day!

P

Penguin_101

I would like to take the time to wish everyone here a happy Independence Day tomorrow! Please take time to think what our founding fathers went through to make this country the greatest in the world. Fell free to post some fireworks pics or anything else that has to do with Independence Day.

For those who do not know what I am talking about, Indpendence Day is the day when all of the delegates from the 13 colonies signed the Decloration of Independence which was then sent to King George III.

Have a great Independance Day to all those south of the border.

Bob

At the risk of getting the thread deleted for not being PC ;) , can I wish all you ex-colonials a great day and trust that you enjoy yourself.

Regards from the "old " country :p

Kim

I don't want to rain in your parade but just give some food for thought.

Celebrating the 4th of July or any act of revolution from tyrany is a healthy thing. But it is essential to not forget the real meaning of this celebration.
Long ago the Americans poor and underequiped kicked off the oppressing Brits for their God goven roght of Independence. Today USA is the ruler of this world and is in fact doing the exact opposite that the 4th of July stands for.

I do not have a problem with Americans or with the way of their foreign policy, the same thing happend to my country long ago. We rightly took arms in 1821 against the oppression of the Turks and won our freedom. But we forgot that in 1919 we invaded Turkey and nearly reached Ancara, my people butchered a lot of innocent Turks during the proccess as did the Turks in retaliation.

It is human nature to remember our Just wars and forget what we do now or find excuses for it.

My point is not that the 4th of July should not be celebrated but that it should be used for reflection on what you do today to honor this act.

PS 'You lucky Yanks do not have to go to work today'

all the best, don't drink & drive and i hope you all have some great fireworks displays.

i think we're doing the bbq thing again! yum...

joe

BAPIEMAI said:

Celebrating the 4th of July or any act of revolution from tyrany is a healthy thing. But it is essential to not forget the real meaning of this celebration.
Long ago the Americans poor and underequiped kicked off the oppressing Brits for their God goven roght of Independence. Today USA is the ruler of this world and is in fact doing the exact opposite that the 4th of July stands for.

I do not have a problem with Americans or with the way of their foreign policy, the same thing happend to my country long ago. We rightly took arms in 1821 against the oppression of the Turks and won our freedom. But we forgot that in 1919 we invaded Turkey and nearly reached Ancara, my people butchered a lot of innocent Turks during the proccess as did the Turks in retaliation.

It is human nature to remember our Just wars and forget what we do now or find excuses for it.

My point is not that the 4th of July should not be celebrated but that it should be used for reflection on what you do today to honor this act.

PS 'You lucky Yanks do not have to go to work today'
It seems that Greece has had its major share of problems in the past too. First being that the whole government was overthrown by communist rebels around World War II. However that didn’t last long and you became a parliamentary republic. However, in the past of your country you seemed to love taking over others. Yet now you are so far out of it you think that we are taking over other countries to colonize them like Brittan in the 1700’s. We are not, we are just making them free. We are spreading the gift of freedom throughout the world. I don’t think Greece has ever done that. It seems you have big problems with America, so why post it here? I made a thread to respect those who have fought for our country and many others. If you want to be a disrespectful - ,then keep it to yourself, but do not disrespect others and get this thread locked.

Last edited by a moderator:
? Wow Penguin,

BAPIEMAI went to considerable lengths to word his thoughts a kindly as possible and was, according to me, not looking to disrespect anyone. He gave his view on how this day could also be interpreted.

Every man entitled to his one opinion is one of the rights fought for hardest during the history of the US of A, isn't it?

Kind regards,

Onno

See Penguin added a substantial part to his reply.

BAPIEMAI even says: " It is human nature to remember our Just wars and forget what we do now or find excuses for it."
and so takes on blamed for injust wars. And that's something not a lot of Greek are willing to do! There isn't a country in the world that doesn't have blood on his hands, some of it shed for (if there even is such a thing) good causes, others not so much. My country as well as yours has had it share of both..

Onno

Last edited:
onnovisser said:
? Wow Penguin,

BAPIEMAI went to considerable lengths to word his thoughts a kindly as possible and was, according to me, not looking to disrespect anyone. He gave his view on how this day could also be interpreted.

Every man entitled to his one opinion is one of the rights fought for hardest during the history of the US of A, isn't it?

Kind regards,

Onno

Maybe I shouldn't of added to it, if a mod thinks that was wrong - please delete it. IMO, I would have been find if it were another thread - I would of just left and walked away. It looks as if here were coming here to pick a fight. He gave his view and I gave mine - it seems even to me.

BTW, If a mod feels that this thread has gone too far off the topic (b/c of me too), I know how you feel and delete it. I dosn't bother me, it helps the forum.

one thing to remember is we are international community here and words like the 'best' country in the world can seem insulting to people who actually like their country also.
canada is my adopted home a great place to live also.

so folks, keep in mind, film & rf cameras are universal.
(no matter where they are made)

joe

backalley photo said:
one thing to remember is we are international community here and words like the 'best' country in the world can seem insulting to people who actually like their country also.
canada is my adopted home a great place to live also.

so folks, keep in mind, film & rf cameras are universal.
(no matter where they are made)

joe
Should this of been posted in And now for something completely different forum? I just thought of that. Sorry

Mike

BAPIEMAI said:

I would just like to point out: The British were not 'kicked off' by 'poor underequipped Americans'. Those people were British Colonists, they were not 'Americans', because at that time the USA did not exist. If anything it was a civil war between the British State and British Colonists, caused by unfair taxation of a British Colony. The Colonists won, but only with the assistance of the French, without which they would have lost. There was no 'oppression'. Unless you see history through the eyes of idiots like Mel Gibson. :rolleyes:

Happy Independence Day all you ex-colonials! ;)

Last edited:
Perhaps I'm cranky, but the Declaration was signed on July2 but the de facto independence was on April 6 when Congress opened ports of the 13 colonies to ships of all nations.
Johne

[Sorry for the history lesson; NOT!].

Too Much Noise!!!

Too Much Noise!!!

I'm always glad when it is over -- it's the noisiest holiday of the year :D!!!

I woke up at 6:00 this morning thinking I'd take a motorcycle ride over Galena Summit to Smiley Creek for breakfast. Then I wisely reconsidered and thought; wtf, I live here -- why battle with the tourists for breakfast today? I rolled over went back to sleep...for all of about 30 minutes. Then I heard the construction equipment mobilizing to prepare for the parade, and the vehicle traffic and the early birds on noisy motorcycles -- sleep was impossible!!!

The Fourth is not a time for rest and relaxation; fireworks have been going off for the last three or four days and nights, and will continue for about the next week or so...I'm a real Grinch about the Fourth. I long for the good old days when I was a kid: we were only allowed to set off our fireworks on the Fourth, period!!! I've become a crusty old curmudgeon ;).

But Happy Fourth to everyone in the U.S., and a good week to the rest of the world!!!

backalley photo said:
words like the 'best' country in the world can seem insulting to people who actually like their country also.

my sentiments exactly...until, of course, we can agree upon a standardized measurement.

happy 4th nonetheless, more fireworks, less fighting, no matter who you agree with!

Hey, living in the U.S. is great. Where else could a person with a degree like mine thrive in relative prosperity?

Not in my own country.

What I find admirable is that the American (back then British subjects) Founding Fathers represented some of the best the human race can produce. I'm thinking about Jefferson's outstanding intellect. His work, drafting the Declaration, is a remarkable document.

Now... let's be objective: it's raining out there. At least the midwest was under a thunderstorm warning all day long. I feel sorry for those planning a nice picnic or barbeque around here.

But still, Happy Independence Day! :)

The very best to my American friends and colleagues on this special American holiday!!

Enjoy!

Gene

Back