Hardcore used Zeiss ikon (pics)

Nachkebia

Well-known
Local time
10:27 AM
Here are some images from my black zeiss ikon, quality of pictures is very bad but you will get the idea how zeiss ikon gets weared :) at least it will calm down weekend park shooters :D

IMG_5259.jpg

IMG_5277.jpg

IMG_5261.jpg

IMG_5262.jpg

IMG_5268.jpg

IMG_5270.jpg

IMG_5271.jpg

IMG_5273.jpg

IMG_5274.jpg

IMG_5272.jpg

IMG_5266.jpg

IMG_52622.jpg

IMG_5267.jpg

Last edited:
Sweet..way to go vlad!! I love the look of used worn cameras... at least when there´s metal under the paint (my Bessa R looks pretty hardcore too....but plastic shining through isn´t looking too cool)

I can´t get a scratch on my M6 even thou she´s banging around in my msgbag every single day since I got it...thats rugged finish!!

I wonder how many black laquer M3´s are brassing because of overfondling ;)

thafred : yeah I also like it, looks very mature and feels culture to it :D one thing I hate about zeiss ikon paint, everytime I touch it I leave finger prints, because of glossyness and my oily skin :)

thafred : yeah I also like it, looks very mature and feels culture to it one thing I hate about zeiss ikon paint, everytime I touch it I leave finger prints, because of glossyness and my oily skin

lol...everytime I grab my M6 out of the bag I manage to put my fingers on the F***ing VF....quite more anoying than fingerprints on the shiny body... (my finder upgrade is having cleaning cloth with me) ...but I agree with you...to hell with glossy faggy finishes!!! give me matte paint every day...also on the car....oh wait UV has taken care of that ;) (maybe if you put the ZI into the window and let sun shine on it the paint will be matte in short time?? like my toyota?)

(maybe if you put the ZI into the window and let sun shine on it the paint will be matte in short time?? like my toyota?)
LOL
ZI feels so light I think it will melt :D I also have cleaning cloth with me! all the time, always forget to take brush for dust!! :)

Nachkebia said:
Here are some images from my black zeiss ikon, quality of pictures is very bad but you will get the idea how zeiss ikon gets weared :) at least it will calm down weekend park shooters :D

Wow! What did u do to your Zeiss Ikon? Very heavy usage?

fuwen : Not really, just one trip of 14 days, non stop shooting is that heavy usage? I don`t think so, I think camera should be ready for more, that`s why I think zeiss ikon is not very relible, not to mention battery drain and frame counter miss alignment (automaticly self fixed after one month)

I don`t know ferider

Corrosion is deterioration of essential properties in a material due to reactions with its environment. It is the loss of an electron of metals reacting with water or oxygen. Weakening of iron due to oxidation of the iron atoms is a well-known example of electrochemistry (a branch of chemistry that studies the reactions that take place when an ionic and electronic conductor interfere) corrosion. This is commonly known as rust. This type of damage usually affects metallic materials, and typically produces oxide(s) and/or salt(s) of the original metal. Corrosion also includes the dissolution of ceramic materials and can refer to discoloration and weakening of polymers by the sun's ultraviolet light.

Possible!
High temperature corrosion

High temperature corrosion is chemical deterioration of a material (typically a metal) under very high temperature conditions. This non-galvanic form of corrosion can occur when a metal is subject to a high temperature atmosphere containing oxygen, sulphur or other compounds capable of oxidising (or assisting the oxidation of) the material concerned. For example, materials used in aerospace, power generation and even in car engines have to resist sustained periods at high temperature in which they may be exposed to an atmosphere containing potentially highly corrosive products of combustion.

The products of high temperature corrosion can potentially be turned to the advantage of the engineer. The formation of oxides on stainless steels, for example, can provide a protective layer preventing further atmospheric attack, allowing for a material to be used for sustained periods at both room and high temperature in hostile conditions. Such high temperature corrosion products in the form of compacted oxide layer glazes have also been shown to prevent or reduce wear during high temperature sliding contact of metallic (or metallic and ceramic) surfaces.

Nachkebia said:
I did not get you, are you been sarcastic? :)
Wasn't there a speculation that ZI's can't brass properly? :) Seriously though, it always warms me up to see a well-used camera instead of a "weekend queen" :)

I have a serious suggestion for you.

E-mail these photos to Carl Zeiss AG. (www.zeiss.de)

I have found them to be very responsive & very interested in communicating with their customers. They would like to know their customers experiences with this camera. You have done them a favor by testing the camera under conditions of rigorous use. Who knows, but they may send you a new camera in exchange for your "much loved" sample so they can examine it & use it to determine appropriate revisions. They are very proud of the Zeiss Ikon & I believe that they want it to be the best it can be.

Prototypes of the Zeiss Ikon were put through extensive envrionmental tests to expose it to extremes of heat & cold. Zeiss refers to it as their "torture chamber." You can read about it in "The Making of the Zeiss Ikon" at www.zeissikon.com. Your experience would add to their lab results.

You might even consider e-mailing your pictures to Leica, who now also uses magnesium on the cladding of the outer shell for both the M8 & the Digilux. Maybe the R9 as well. I can't recall. There may be issues with magnesium under the conditions in which you used the camera.

I never understood how photos that I have seen of some of the "much loved" older Leicas ever got into the condition in which they were photographed. You've shown us how. I assume that the camera still works well & the only issue is appearance & is not funtional?

thank for the pictures.

Last edited:
varjag said:
Wasn't there a speculation that ZI's can't brass properly?

Not speculation. Since the ZI doesn't use brass in the top & bottom plates as Leica does, it can't "brass" at all. Since it uses magnesium, which is a silvery color, some prefer the silver version of the camera so that when the paint wears, it will be less noticeable.

Magnesium seems to have become the current material of choice for many camera makers. For example, see the Leica M8, R9, & Digilux.

LOL I can not be bothered writing email to them, it will take 23 months until proper people will read and another 13 month to get reply for them, I don`t mind giving you photos and my sign if you are up to writing email to them (also I don`t mind new zeiss ikon) :D

Nachkebia said:
LOL I can not be bothered writing email to them, it will take 23 months until proper people will read and another 13 month to get reply for them, I don`t mind giving you photos and my sign if you are up to writing email to them (also I don`t mind new zeiss ikon) :D

Why not be bothered writing them? You bothered posting it here where it has no chance to have any effect on product improvement. Why not send it some place where it might make a difference?

I assure you that it will not take 23 months for it to be read & 13 months for a reply. I have sent them numerous e-mails. They have always replied within 24 hours unless the person responsible for the reply was on holiday or at a trade show. In those cases, the reply has come within 10 days.

Well, why not.. Can I have the email address for responsable person? (PM) :D
Maybe they will send me sonnar 85mm as a present! :D

Last edited:
Back