Hasselblad SWC is cool

Dear Raid amin,

Thank you for your order with KEH Camera. We appreciate your business and hope you enjoy your equipment.

I got the strap, Wayne. Thanks.

Raid, you can really use any strap you want with the SWC, as long as you have the clips. I'm personally a fan of the Domke Gripper, and it worked just fine with the SWC when I had one.

I have to agree with the general consensus -- the SWC is a great camera, and can truly be used as a high-quality 'snapshot' camera. No tripod required, and just prefocus, point, shoot.

A shot from a few years ago when I had the SWC -- my loving wifey in lovely New Mexico.....

NM3.jpg

Dear Raid amin,

Thank you for your order with KEH Camera. We appreciate your business and hope you enjoy your equipment.

I got the strap, Wayne. Thanks.

Awesome! The SWC will be secure in Italy.

Wayne

ps: The original, narrower strap + the Hasselblad ends + time & gas, I have at least $30 invested. You got a good deal.

I built a better mousetrap (SWC) myself: It uses 35mm Nikon PC lens and Prontor professional shutter aluminum body machined out of T6.T billet. The back is a sparepart of Flex Body, and it has film advance. The beauty of the whole creation is that it has A RISE because of PC Nikkor ! Hassy does not! When you look at these SWC images, you see it is a bonus. Because of the shift capability of the nikkor, the whole area of 6X6 can be used. Also because of the Prontor professional shutter you can shoot as many perfectly registering multiple exposures, nice for "Light painting" images
http://www.flickr.com/photos/40146285@N08/7909074904/in/set-72157621929261184

I built a better mousetrap (SWC) myself: It uses 35mm Nikon PC lens and Prontor professional shutter aluminum body machined out of T6.T billet. The back is a sparepart of Flex Body, and it has film advance. The beauty of the whole creation is that it has A RISE because of PC Nikkor ! Hassy does not! When you look at these SWC images, you see it is a bonus. Because of the shift capability of the nikkor, the whole area of 6X6 can be used. Also because of the Prontor professional shutter you can shoot as many perfectly registering multiple exposures, nice for "Light painting" images

Would the Canon 35mm tilt shift lens also work with a similar set-up?

Cool stuff!

But, that's a tech camera and not what the SWC is about: compactness and simplicity. That's more along the lines of an Alpa.

The earlier models have a sharper lens than the modern models due to some materials used that later became forbidden, and the cost is quite manageable. It is similar to the cost of an M8 or lower.

The earlier models have a sharper lens than the modern models due to some materials used that later became forbidden, and the cost is quite manageable. It is similar to the cost of an M8 or lower.

This myth has been stated over and over again. The changes to the Biogon, once past the T* coatings in 1973, only applies to the 905 SWC model when the lens design was recalculated to allow continued production with currently available glasses.

The first SWC I used was a loaner SWC from about the middle 1977 ... belongs to a friend of mine ... with the Syncro-Compur shutter. Love the style of it. My understanding is that some parts for the old shutter are becoming scarce as they are out of production for many years (SWC/M last made in 1988).

The second SWC I used is the one I bought ... an '00 903 SWC. I saw no difference whatever between what it produced and the first one. Far as I'm aware, the lens is identical, they just went to the newer shutter (more reliable, easier to obtain parts for) and restyled it a bit.

The third SWC I used was an '04 905 SWC owned by another friend. I was specifically interested to see if the reformulation of the Biogon 38mm lens had affected its quality at all, as the myth had been going around already (this was a decade ago). We put the two cameras through a series of semi-formal lens tests with one roll of film, and then went out and shot the same subjects for another roll of film. As far as I could tell with my eyes and a 8x magnifying loupe, the two lenses produced identical results (modulo my ability to get the tripod and subject alignment identical between the two cameras).

Perhaps if tested on an optical bench, one could identify more differences. However, in practical terms, I doubt that the differences amount to a hill of beans.

Doesn't really matter all that much. Get one in good condition and it's a fine camera, no matter how old it might be. :)

G

Dear Raid,

Are you sure? Can you provide references? Why were the materials forbidden?

Cheers,

R.

Cool stuff!

But, that's a tech camera and not what the SWC is about: compactness and simplicity. That's more along the lines of an Alpa.

hehe, same size as SWC, the digital back has same dimensions as hasselblad cassette. The preset aperture is easy to change for setting. If you want to bracket with film. just keep shooting with the shutter and wind the aperture. the Prontor is "self cocking" The nikkor has the same coverage as PC canons, so why not? If somebody wants to make a duplicate, send me a private message with your email address, I will send you pictures on how it was made. Cheers...

Dear Raid,

Are you sure? Can you provide references? Why were the materials forbidden?

Cheers,

R.
The earlier Biogon had lead and arsenic in the 10 element design, . the lens in 905 SWC of 2001 is a new design calculation now. ( 8 element)
If it is worse... that`s one of those "beliefs" i don`t swallow... The lead and arsenic was bad in manufacturing stage, no difference for the user, though.

I have an SWC from the very first batch, I foolishly wanted to sell it recently, until I went out and shot again with it, besids being a head turner, the quality i get out of this compact MF combo is astounding. might
be the last camera I ll sell out of the too many I have.

Well, Roger not everything is that dead serious.
I read online in several RFF and PhotoNet threads by people who seem to know a lot about SWC cameras this information. I believe it.

Well, Roger not everything is that dead serious.
I read online in several RFF and PhotoNet threads by people who seem to know a lot about SWC cameras this information. I believe it.
Well, if I believed everything I read on line... I'm just intrigued, as I have one of the first series of 4,5/38 Biogons made for Alpa (there were 2x 50-lens series) and I'd not heard that the design was changed -- but I had heard that when the design was run through a computer for optimization, it was impossible to improve on it. Dr. Nasse at Zeiss really LOVES his work so I'm sure he'll know.

Cheers,

R.

Back