Have You seen the new 35/1.4 Nokton?

This may be the first new lens I've bought in many years. I'd like to get rid of the chrome ring and have a rectangular hood.

****, I just got through developing my first roll shot with the 40mm Nokton, now they go and drop a 35! Should make a nice companion for the 35mm Skopar (which I use on a Canon P as well as the M-mount bodies). Looks like a great size for the speed.

The chrome ring has a purpose. If you anodized or painted the ring, the bayonet on the hood would soon wear off the coating! Once the hood is in place, the ring is less noticable and as I never remove the hood it is a moot point.
OK, if you want the full complement of lenses in 35, the new 35f1.4,the 35f1.2,the LTM 35f1.7 and the Color Skopar 35f2.5 II - it is still less than buying a Leica Summilux 35f1.4 Asph or even the 35f2 Asph!

Tom A said:
When we in Japan last March Mr Kobayashi and I discussed the idea of a 35f1.4 extensivly. The parameter were simple, an improved version of the latest 35f1,4 pre-asph with less agressive texture of the 35f1,4 asph and less prone to flare compared to that lens.
The old 35f1.4 Pre-Asph is a very old design, dating to the early 60's and though heavily massaged over the decades, its age shows. It is still a very good lens, but things like field curvature, coma is prevalent, particularly in the "fast" apertures.
The CV lens will have adressed that. Modern computer design and upgraded glass will make a difference.
For those who are using the 40f1.4 Classic Nokton (Multi coated) you will probably recognize the "draw" of the lens, but i suspect that the new lens will have improved over even that lens!. Mr Kobayashi likes making lenses and he takes pride in improving what he makes as he goes along. The CV designers are extremely competent and when it comes to fast optics, they probably have more experience in it than virtually anyone else. CV is one of the foremost producers of ultra high speed optics for surveillance cameras world wide!
I have not yet shot with the new 35mm f1.4 but in the meantime I am sticking my pre Asph 35mm f1,4 Summilux on a M2 just to gather up some stuff to compare with the new one when it arrives.

you had me at field curvature.

Marc-A. said:
Tom, Stephen, do you know if a chrome version is planned?
Thanks,
Marc

unlikely.

so far Mr. K has not produced a chrome version of any lens originally made in this style lens barrel (21/4P, 25/4P, 35/2.5 PII, 40/1.4)

Stephen

Wow, many of you amaze me - lens is just anounced and you already sending deposits in? Selling or planning to sell your trusty lenses to get this new lens you don't even know how good it is? Well, what can I say - it's your money. I'll stay with my Ultron for a while as it does everything I need very well.
I'll start looking at this new CV 35/1.4 lens only after I'll see photos it delivers. ANd even than it'd have to be amazing, as I understand it has a tab and I hate tabs. So, it would have to perform THAT well for my taste to have to deal with the tab. But hey, - more of you want to biy it - go for it - more info for all of us to have once everyone gets to use it. Plus maybe now I'd be able to find a CV 35/1.2 at a reasonable price. So, go ahead - send you deposits in ! ;)

CameraQuest said:
unlikely.

so far Mr. K has not produced a chrome version of any lens originally made in this style lens barrel (21/4P, 25/4P, 35/2.5 PII, 40/1.4)

Stephen

Stephen, thanks for the information.
Maybe he could consider producing a chrome version ... chrome is beautiful too ;)
Marc

We should think about some black ring to mount on that chrome ring in order to hide it... :)
(I never use a hood, it must be useful but the camera seems to get much more attention with that big thing on. I know it's only in my mind, I know...)

Krosya said:
Wow, many of you amaze me - lens is just anounced and you already sending deposits in? Selling or planning to sell your trusty lenses to get this new lens you don't even know how good it is? Well, what can I say - it's your money. I'll stay with my Ultron for a while as it does everything I need very well.
I'll start looking at this new CV 35/1.4 lens only after I'll see photos it delivers. ANd even than it'd have to be amazing, as I understand it has a tab and I hate tabs. So, it would have to perform THAT well for my taste to have to deal with the tab. But hey, - more of you want to biy it - go for it - more info for all of us to have once everyone gets to use it. Plus maybe now I'd be able to find a CV 35/1.2 at a reasonable price. So, go ahead - send you deposits in ! ;)

i think it's a safe bet, i mean has cv really made a bad lens?
and it may have been just announced but february is just around the corner. i like tabs and even liked the infinity locks on the older lenses so this works for me as well.
and if it's really only 400 bucks it's not a big gamble if i want to sell it, ask for 300 and pay 100 to 'rent' the lens.

it may not be something i do often but as stated before, it just feels right.
joe

sitemistic said:
I love it when a new lens is announced. The classifieds and ebay then get filled with great prices on last year's wonder lens that everyone is dumping to buy the new one. I'll get that 40mm yet. :)

You still waste money on rangefinder (!) film (!) equipment? Dinosaur! :D

Well I'm glad I havnt purchased a Nokton 40mm. Cause as soon as this one comes out i'll purchase it.

I've been eying a 35mm 1.4 summilux for a long time... definately buying the vc 35 1.4. Rather (as most of you say) have the extra cash for trips, etc.

Well, since most folks (me included) are going to jump on this new lens, which version are you going to buy? SC or MC?

Back