Have You seen the new 35/1.4 Nokton?

raid said:
I cannot believe it that so many people here want again another new lens as if they did not already own a similar lens with a similar focal length. What is so great about buying a new lens?

Similar.....depends how you define "similar". I will buy this lens because I do a lot of low light work yet the 35mm 1.2 is too big and heavy. I can't afford the Leica 1.4 and I'd like a lens that can give me another stop beyond my Summicron, which I will continue to use. As for "new", new lenses have a warranty and should give many years of use with no problem. Personally, I am not that concerned with the minute differences in the way the various lenses render.

ferider said:
The 40/1.4 vignettes very heavily under certain conditions
I've never had significant vignetting with the 40/1.4 so far. Filters? Wrong hood? (Shіt happens, as we all know.)

rxmd said:
I've never had significant vignetting with the 40/1.4 so far. Filters? Wrong hood? (Shіt happens, as we all know.)

Like here, Philipp:

156650319-M.jpg

If you search in flickr you will find other examples. Not a big deal, but it does happen,
wide open and relatively close.

Roland.

Mr. K. indeed hit a sweet spot here. There weren't much of fast, modern, affordable 35mm lenses to begin with, and M8 only amplified this need. At such price point, it will likely undermine sales of ZM 35/2, and maybe to lesser extent of new 35mm Summarits.

It is funny that I've been telling to friends that if I get the discontinued 35 Ultron, by next Friday Cosina will introduce an exciting M-mount replacement. Well, I got the Ultron, then Friday comes and I see this announce :D

varjag said:
Mr. K. indeed hit a sweet spot here. There weren't much of fast, modern, affordable 35mm lenses to begin with, and M8 only amplified this need. At such price point, it will likely undermine sales of ZM 35/2, and maybe to lesser extent of new 35mm Summarits.

It is funny that I've been telling to friends that if I get the discontinued 35 Ultron, by next Friday Cosina will introduce an exciting M-mount replacement. Well, I got the Ultron, then Friday comes and I see this announce :D

Can you buy a 28 Ultron as well ? :)

back alley said:
hello kettle, this is the pot...;)

new or old is no matter raid, this is a lens that obviously is exciting to many people. now i don't have to buy a new camera if i want to use a 40/1.4.

by the way my friend, just how many lenses do you own ;) ?

joe

Joe,
What if next year CV introduces a wonderfully priced 35mm/1.2 or 35mm/1.0? Would people then sell their newly purchased 35mm/1.4?

My friend, I don't have many 35mm lenses. :D

tbarker13 said:
If it does, indeed, render like an older lens, it could replace both my 35/1.2 nokton and 35 UC hexanon. In my dreams, it will be the perfect compromise between those two lenses.
Then I can take the extra money and go shopping for something else for the kit.
Like a lot of film. :D

raid said:
What if next year CV introduces a wonderfully priced 35mm/1.2 or 35mm/1.0? Would people then sell their newly purchased 35mm/1.4?
Some would sell them, some would keep them and buy the new ones anyway.

Philipp

jbf said:
I'd probably opt for a SC... depending on how much of a veiling flare/whatever that it has. If it's much more prone to flare than the mc i'll probably get the mc.

Though I pretty much always shoot black and white film.
In looking at Nokton 40 SC & MC samples, I have never seen anything that would dissuade me from choosing the SC. As Tom indicated, an MC's higher contrast can give the appearance of higher sharpness, but I think it's a matter of preference and application. I definitely like the SC for b&w, and I think it would be interesting to see the difference the two make with Kodachrome; I'd think the SC wouldbe my preference, but who knows?

This announcement is the first time I've really been thinking of buying a new lens, selling a bunch of other stuff to get it and an R3, R4 or maybe the ZI.

Roland - thanks for the shot showing vignetting with the 40mm Nokton. I just reviewed my images from this lens and have to say I don't see a single shot with corner falloff to the degree that you have shown. Interesting.

Tom A - can you shed some light on the construction of this lens? If it is lacquer over SS then Marc-A and Wintoid can have their silver version with some artfullly applied paint remover :angel:.

raid said:
Joe,

My friend, I don't have many 35mm lenses. :D

Raid

I think you are missing the point. For those looking for a modern compact fast 35mm this may be an answer to their prayers as the only real alternatives are very expensive. Those wanting/needing ultra fast 35s and are not bothered by their large size will not be interested in a small merely fast 35.

Bob

foto_fool said:
Roland -Tom A - can you shed some light on the construction of this lens? If it is lacquer over SS then Marc-A and Wintoid can have their silver version with some artfullly applied paint remover :angel:.
As I haven't held the production version in my hands, I cant tell if it is paint or anodizing. Judging from past VC lenses it is probably anodized alloy and to "strip" them you would have to dismantle the lens and have a "reverse" anodizing process applied. If it is painted, it is usually on a hard anodized surface (this is what gives the almost brassy look to worn ZM/VC lenses) and if you strip it, it would come out brass/gold colored.

I am just joking with you guys; maybe I will also get such a lens. Manufacturing new RF lenses is always a good thing. I am just a dinasaur who prefers older lenses.

Last edited:
Trius said:
In looking at Nokton 40 SC & MC samples, I have never seen anything that would dissuade me from choosing the SC. As Tom indicated, an MC's higher contrast can give the appearance of higher sharpness, but I think it's a matter of preference and application. I definitely like the SC for b&w, and I think it would be interesting to see the difference the two make with Kodachrome; I'd think the SC wouldbe my preference, but who knows?

This announcement is the first time I've really been thinking of buying a new lens, selling a bunch of other stuff to get it and an R3, R4 or maybe the ZI.

Hah... i never thought about what the difference would make to kodachrome.

Easy off oven cleaner removes anodization. I've tried it on bike parts and would never use it on a lens. But it does come off.

I'm interested in this lens, and that sounds exactly like what I will do: keep the 40/1.4 MC (which I bought used, with hood for a very good price) and try to get the SC version of the 35/1.4.

I don't see any reason to have to dump the 40mm lens at all, but I have access to more than one body to mount them all on.

Back