Heavy Distortion FUJIFILM XF 23mm f/2 R WR Lens

If you aren't getting it with the x100 it is because you are now holding it level. The X100 will absolutely give the same perspective distortion if it is tilted.

Shawn

I think from a practical perspective, you might be better off using a full frame camera which will allow you to use a less wide angle lens to get the same angle of view with less of what you are perceiving (and I agree) as distortion.

I understand the technical arguments here and they are probably technically correct.

However I also get that to you the images don't look right. Because a 23mm lenses feels distorted where a 35mm lens would feel more "normal" and less distorted.

This bugs me about APS-C and smaller also.

this is some joke post,right? i dont even know where do you see distortion on this one-can you explain us better?
Another photograph shot with X-T1 and 23mm f/2 with heavy distortion. When I try to correct the image using LR I have to crop and the head gets trimmed off.
med_U53150I1554377756.SEQ.0.jpg

I think from a practical perspective, you might be better off using a full frame camera which will allow you to use a less wide angle lens to get the same angle of view with less of what you are perceiving (and I agree) as distortion.

I understand the technical arguments here and they are probably technically correct.

However I also get that to you the images don't look right. Because a 23mm lenses feels distorted where a 35mm lens would feel more "normal" and less distorted.

This bugs me about APS-C and smaller also.

Sorry, but this is nonsense. Please convince yourself with a comparison of different formats with lenses with identical fov shot side by side.

If you have the same FOV and the same distance from the subject you don't get a difference in perspective distortion because of sensor size.

A FF 35mm would have the same perspective distortion as a 23mm lens on APS-C at the same distance from the subject.

DOF would be different though if shot at the same aperture.

Shawn

I see the distortion. My understanding, which may be flawed, is that makers of these kinds of lenses do not worry much about distortion since it is usually corrected by the camera software or in post. At least, that was the logic behind the faulty design of one lens I used to have, a Sony FE 28 f/2, whose inherent distortion was widely known and accepted.

EDIT: The distortion I see has nothing to do with perspective. It is in the curved lines.

I know this is pointless but....

Try something. Take a picture of a building straight on with the camera held perfectly level and not tilted either forward or backward. Then take a picture of the same building with the same camera/lens combination with the camera tilted upwards. I betcha a nickel you can see this same "distortion" in the second picture no matter what lens you use.

The only way you can avoid this is to always shoot pictures level and dead straight without any tilt. Or you can invest in a large format camera with full swings, tilts, rises and falls that allows for perspective control. (Thus my post about Sinar, Linhof, Deardorff, etc.)

I know this is pointless but....

Try something. Take a picture of a building straight on with the camera held perfectly level and not tilted either forward or backward. Then take a picture of the same building with the same camera/lens combination with the camera tilted upwards. I betcha a nickel you can see this same "distortion" in the second picture no matter what lens you use.

The only way you can avoid this is to always shoot pictures level and dead straight without any tilt. Or you can invest in a large format camera with full swings, tilts, rises and falls that allows for perspective control. (Thus my post about Sinar, Linhof, Deardorff, etc.)

It's not about the converging parallels. The lens distortion is obvious in the first picture. The green subway railings look like they were bent by superman. That's lens distortion.

lol, did B&H take back the camera/lens that you said you purchased last year, despite there being no problems with it except your misunderstanding about distortion?

I see the distortion. My understanding, which may be flawed, is that makers of these kinds of lenses do not worry much about distortion since it is usually corrected by the camera software or in post. At least, that was the logic behind the faulty design of one lens I used to have, a Sony FE 28 f/2, whose inherent distortion was widely known and accepted.

EDIT: The distortion I see has nothing to do with perspective. It is in the curved lines.

The 23mm f/2 Fuji WR lens is fully corrected optically, not by the software. At least according to both LensTip.com and Opticallimits.com in their measurements of the lens. The distortion in the two photos posted here is totally due to the tilting of the camera, not any distortion in the lens used.

The 23mm f/2 Fuji WR lens is fully corrected optically, not by the software. At least according to both LensTip.com and Opticallimits.com in their measurements of the lens. The distortion in the two photos posted here is totally due to the tilting of the camera, not any distortion in the lens used.

I am not an expert on lens design or on Fuji lenses. So, for all I know, you may be right.

What I do know is that tilting the camera does not cause undulating lines, like those green subway rails. In all discussions of lens distortion that I have seen, that is exactly what they are talking about -- curved lines that should be straight.

I just imported the picture into lightroom and put a grid up over it after rotating the picture so the slats are vertical. Only one slat is fully visible, it is straight. The attached is at 300% view.

Shawn

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-04-04 at 5.29.16 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2019-04-04 at 5.29.16 PM.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 0
I just imported the picture into lightroom and put a grid up over it after rotating the picture so the slats are vertical. Only one slat is fully visible, it is straight. The attached is at 300% view.

Shawn

Shawn, I am talking about the horizontal lines, not the verticals. Sorry, I should have been more clear. The "railing", as it were, of the subway grate. It curves in just slightly, along with the horizontal lines of the sidewalk and bottom of the grating, etc. There is a slight bend in the lines.

If I were a digital shooter, I am not sure I would worry too much if my lenses had distortion. What does it matter? It can always be corrected. Lens distortion is a much bigger problem for film shooters.

There's 100% no lens distortion on that photo, it's 100% perspective distortion that is totally seperate to lens design and will happen with any lens. 110%.

Bushwick, I still only see perspective distortion in both your photos. For your requirement you need a perspective control lens. It is true that perspective distortion can be annoying, and right, you end up losing a good chunk of the photo correcting it in software. But that's what perspective control lenses are for. I don't know about the Fuji system. For Nikon I have a 28 3.5 and a 24 3.5 that both handle this kind of a scenario. I know Canon has tilt shift lenses that do the same thing.

Or one tries to align the camera to a plane parallel to the one that the offending lines are in. Not always feasible though.

Bushwick is trying to avoid perspective distortion?
Simple solution: set up a large format view camera on a tripod; employ tilts, swings, rises and apply the Scheimpflug principle.

Back