Help me Choose 2 European Cities....

whitecat

Lone Range(find)er
Local time
12:55 AM
I want to visit Europe from Dallas and need your opinions for a couple of stops. What are the most picturesque? I love architecture , museums and love to take pics.

I strongly recommend Prague. Unlike a lot of European cities, it was not bombed during WWII, so much of historic architecture remains intact (and most of the grime from communist era has been removed). An excellent city for walking and photography. There is a Prague set over in my flickr collection, all taken in May 2005.

Rome and Venice
/
Amsterdam and Brugge
/
London and Dublin and Edinburgh

Last edited:
If you come to germany too - forget the "everybody-runs-to-cities" like Berlin, Munich etc. but try to visit Augsburg!

Second oldest city in Germany, Roman architecture, Fuggerei, plenty of historical events took place.
Just beautiful!

There is no contest here : Paris and Rome are the two musts if you are to visit only two cities in Europe.

If you can do your trip in the second part of September and don't mind chaos, then you could see Rome, and then you can chose between Naples or Florence. In the first case you could make a stop in Pompei, in the second in Siena.

I second Prague without a doubt.

Paris was really great as well. I highly suggest checking out paris if not just for the art musuems, etc. I believe there might be an HCB show going on right now there.

If you go to paris you have to go to the ju de pomme contemporary photography museum near the Louvre.

Much can be said about rome as well...

I'd recommend Lisbon, the city of Ulysses. Very very old and looking old. Lots of ruins to photograph, both ancient and newer. Harbour life of old, destination of many of Casablanca's characters. Cheaper than most european cities.
Paris is also very nice...

Last edited:
St. Petersburg & Valletta.

Google them both and you may see why I say this.

And with Valetta the rest of Malta is very close. Half of it is pretty much within walking distance. There is no other country on earth that is more fascinatng if you love history, from the oldest ruins on the planet to the biggest muzzle-loading gun ever built (the Hundred Ton Armstrong).

For a link to Malta (old galleries -- poorly scanned, small images)

http://www.rogerandfrances.com/gallery/g malta 0.html

Cheers,

R.

Last edited:
Visit Istanbul but not just the museums go also to suburbs.
If you want more historical places visit Efes in Turkey and have a holiday at the seaside.

The coice is rather obvious: Cracow and Prague

The coice is rather obvious: Cracow and Prague

I'm surprised nobody mentioned Kraków (Cracow). Next logical step would be Prague. A lot of things to see and do in both cities. Friendly people,beautyful women, excellent photo sites. Go there and you won't regret it.

yerba

Addition from Frances Schultz:

If St. Petersburg is too out-of-the-way, Paris instead.

But nothing replaces Valletta.

Cheers,

R.

London and Paris? Only 2 and a half hours apart by train now we've finally sorted out the UK side of the Chunnel. London is nowhere near the prettiest capital city in Europe but it is Europe's "NYC", and must be the world's second city at this point in time. Paris is Paris - what more can you say. I'd put Rome a close third too.

Back