Help me Choose 2 European Cities....

Barcelona and Barcelona.

Bilbao has the Guggenheim, but other than that I found it very dull. Famous for that Basque cooking, though.

I'm tempted to say Casablanca.

Technically it's not in Europe but it's right next door.

The new King David II mosque will excite your architectural senses.

Lisbon (for the fish, food, coffee, photographic opportunities, history, quirkiness)

I'd recommend Porto, too, but that's because of the food they make there that I myself can no longer eat.

Seriously. Don't miss Lisbon.

Best in Black and White. OR COLOR! Yeah! Best in...

I'd second Venice and Rome.
Next choice: Florence and Siena.
Away from Italy: Oxford and Lisbon...

Regards,
D.

I've been reading all these great suggestions. On the basis of them, i'd choose....

to extend my trip a couple of months and include more than 2 cities. I'm packing now.

I was in venice 4 times and can't wait to come back there.
Imagine a city with ... no cars to enter your frame.

I cannot recommend Helsinki enough.
With regards to architecture, the Katajanokka district is full of wonderful Jugend style buildings.
The National Museum of Photography at the old Nokia Cable Factory never fails to show fantastic work. There's also the Art museum in the Tennis Palace, and there is so much more to discover.
As for photographs, the market at the harbour always shows plenty of opportunites.

The only real problem is that it is an expensive place, but not cripplingly so.

Good evening,
Paris is incredible but so is Prague. Lisbon, Florence, Edinburgh, Dublin, Madrid, Seville (but Seville is too hot during the summer, it's unbearable).
Have a nice trip :)

Ok in the UK I would suggest Cambridge for old buildings theres some interesting new ones on the outskirts, The very maligned town/city of Milton Keynes for a lot of modern buildings. St Davids in Wales I think its the smallest city in the world it will take an afternoon. York is a great city and if you like trains it has a big museum. Edinburgh is stunning and with my brief exposure Glasgow looked good too. Have fun

Large cities: Moscow in Russia and Lisboa in Portugal.

In fact any small pair of cities will work just as well. Such as Vitoria in Spain, Coimbra in Portugal, Zieriksee in Holland, Nuremberg in Germany, and the list goes on and on.

For photo opts you would still have to use your own imagination
and also buy postcards of the places you need not shoot because they are everywhere in better pics than you can get ... and trivialized to death such as the Buckingham Palace change of guards: who cares but the Coolpix shooters ....

Too late for Prague. I've been there three times, 1990,1995 and 2005.
The first two times it was great and unspoiled. By 2005, Wenceslas Square had Debenhams,Marks and Spencer, Tesco etc, several nice restaurants had gone to be replaced with Mcdonalds and Kentucy fried rubbish. Sex show touts were a pain in the ass, and the place was full of English Hen and Stag party drunken idiots. The Prague town council should have controlled things better, they will kill off the golden goose at this rate.
Budapest is still nice, but would suggest Paris and Rome.

Back