Hexar RF Lenses

M

mfs

Does anyone out there have first hand experience with the Hexar RF, and it's lenses??
I am particularly interested in the 28mm, and 35mm, and 50 mm lens performance.

Please advise.

Thank you.

Martin

I'm using a 50mm Konica M on my DS Leica M3.

It is a fine, very well made lens. Many other people feel it is the equal, but the equivalent, of the current 50mm/f2 Summicron. I have no reason to disagree with them.

If you can still find one, the 50mm Hexanon is quite a bargain for a modern optic for the M- Leicas.

Thanks scoop for the info. Unfortunately, the Hexar, and its lenses have been discontinued in the U.S. I am looking for any remaining inventory (possibly at close out prices). Does anyone know of any remaining stocks??
Please advise.
Thanks.
Martin

I have three of the Konica lenses and use them on a Hexar, M6 and M2. I have the 28mm, the 90mm and the 21/35mm lenses. I have had consistantly excellent results with them. I've read the "debate" about Leica lenses on a Konica body and Konica lenses on Leica bodies. While I'm not a photo tech I have seen no problems. I shoot color print film, slides and B&W. I have freinds who regularly look at my work and have ever indicated any problems with the lenses.

Your best source for lenses is e-bay. I can only say be careful and spend time familiarizing yourself with the dealers and brokers who sell on line.

Bob

I have read the limited number of reviews of the 21/35mm lens. They were not very positive. Could you give me additional information concerning this lens?? Is the 35mm portion adequate? The reports particularly pan this focal length.
Thanks.
Martin

I use a Hexanon 50mm on my Leica M6 with great results. Bought it from a friend (ex Nat'l Geo. photog.) who uses a Hexar with Leica glass. He was happy with his Summicron, so sold the Hexar to me. I was a bit wary of all the compatibility claims, so I tested it extensivley (wide open at closest focus and at infinity and everything in between) and it works perfectly on my Leica.

Haven't had any experience with the other Hexanons, though I hear they are top notch. The 35mm Hexanon is extremely hard to find.

I, also, would like to hear a confirmation of the Hexar being discontinued. Is there a post or quote from Minolta/Konica saying this?

I recommend the Hexars very much. Extremely well built (dare I say BETTER than black Leica lenses) using a lot of brass in construction.

Go for the Hexars!!!

Todd,

I agree with you about the Hexars. I also have an M2 and an M6 body. The Hexar lenses produce great results with the Leicas as well.

I think the compatability issue is way overstated. It may be a problem with a specific body/lens combination but not as a broad, sweeping rule.

I have not been able to verify the future plans for the Hexars. It is a bit difficult to see how the camera/lenses fit with Minolta. I plan on holding on to mine.

I've heard many great comments on the Voigtlander lenses used on the Hexars, too. I just picked up the 75mm 2.5 and can't wait to put it through the paces.

Bob

Ok, my friend (mentioned above) called Minolta/Konica and it was confirmed to him that "they are out of Hexars and have been for six months". No word yet on how long they will keep servicing them (he's trying to get a definitive answer). I also noticed that B&H has stopped advertising the Hexar kit (body, F:2 lens, and flash) and now is only advertising the expensive F1.2 kit.

Haven't checked with anyone else. Since I've read on other forums that the Hexar will continue to be available in Europe and Asia, it might be only a matter of time before Steve G. or Rich P. begin importing them.

Bob----glad your having good results with your Hexars and Leica bodies. I think we all would appreciate a report on the use of V'lander glass and the Hexar. Please keep us informed! BTW, my friend has a V'lander 15mm that he uses occasionaly with his Hexar and hasn't had a problem (but a lens of 75mm is a truer test. I also have a 15 V'lander that I use on my M6 and it is a little jewel!!!

Hmmm. f-1.2 lens, eh? I've been looking for some fast glass, and thinking Leica the only way to go.

Is there anyone that knows of the whereabouts for a review of this most interesting thing?

Just found (it wasn't easy!) a new Hexar RF from "Tri-State" in N.Y. It should arrive today. I'm looking forward to playing with it! I'm also now starting to look for a collection of LTM Russian glass as a simple addition.
I've also been spending WAY too much time researching the "M-Mount incompatibility" issues, and am still confused as to whether or not there's a problem. I'll probably borrow a Nokton and a ruler and just see for myself where the lens focuses. THAT should be pretty telling, unless I can find the 75 1.4...

This, for me, is a sort of sellers remorse- I traded my G2 and lenses for a Mamiya 7, and though I like the 7, I did enjoy the automation of the G (though occasional focusing trouble colored my experience with it, sadly) and the 135 negatives/slides were astounding in sharpness and clarity. I hope I get the same optical results (or similar) with the Hexar 50mm.

I have no personal experience with the Hexar 50 mm but all reports have very enthusiastic. I think that the M lens incompatibility was dramatically overstated. Apparently Leica has similar problems with their own lenses on M bodies.

BTW did you order the Hexar RF kit?? I thought that all supplies were gone.
Please advise since I might be in the market.
Thanks.

I have an order in at "Tri-State" camera, who's website is similar (www.tristatecamera.com, methinks) but though I ordered it on Wednesday, I found out today that it won't ship until "Tuesday." It's the 50mm 2.0 kit and presentation case. It'll be the second new camera I've ever bought, the last being back in 1988.

I'll keep ya'll posted. Good price, but if I can't get the product...

I just checked their website - no mention of a Hexar RF.
Good luck.
Keep us posted.

They might have removed the reference, as I'm now awaiting shipping as they had to "get it from the warehouse." I'm concerned that this camera is mythical new and starting to think that the best way to get it would be to cancel this order and when I've saved the additional grand, buy the f-1.2 special kit, which is still available.

Did it arrive???
I hope that it did.
If so, could you give tell us your first impressions, and perhaps an evaluation of the first roll of film.

It's not yet arrived, but sent second day, I should have it on Monday. Fedex does indeed show it in the system, so there's hope.

Now, to get some LTM/M adapters, and I'll get a Soviet 35mm J-12.

I'll have a test roll done by the middle of the week. Do I get the Leica "Glow?"

LOL!

I'm really happy that it is shipping. Please post some images.
I'm trying to locate a Hexar RF for myself, and I would really like to see the post before I commit (if I can find one!).
Good shooting.
Martin

mfs,

I've seen a few Hexars being offered by dealers on e-bay. Additionally, there are some cameras available from dealers as "used".

I bought my Hexar used from a local dealer and love it. Good luck.

Bob

Back