Hood or No Hood?

Hood or No Hood?

• Hood

Votes: 247 82.3%
  • No Hood

Votes: 53 17.7%

• Total voters
Hood - always. And I make sure it's efficient (preferably rectangular), so I never use those round vented hoods, as they're a waste of time.

NB: efficient does not equal bulky - my favourite hood is the rectangular yet compact 35mm Summicron hood.

Hood - always. And I make sure it's efficient (preferably rectangular), so I never use those round vented hoods, as they're a waste of time.

NB: efficient does not equal bulky - my favourite hood is the rectangular yet compact 35mm Summicron hood.

For me, a rectangular hood would be just one more thing to adjust. And lack of adjustments is one thing that draws me to RF shooting. I have noticed a number of times when my 'round vented hood' kept the sun off the front element of my lens.

That rectangular hood does look cool though. Very sophisto. :cool:

I always use the lens hood on all lenses I have, they were made for a good purpose, don't hesitate to use them unconditionally ;-)

Carrying camera to work and cafe everyday: No hoods for portability
Out for shooting in weekends: 80% for hood clearer pic, 20% no hood for "moody" shots

Always a hood and never a filter, why would i need an uv filter; except for protecting the front lens element? I have read somewhere that some leitz engineer has stated that the lenses made since the 70's or 80's don't need uv-filters as they've already done this within the coating of the lens. Thoughts on this?

Always a hood and never a filter, why would i need an uv filter; except for protecting the front lens element? I have read somewhere that some leitz engineer has stated that the lenses made since the 70's or 80's don't need uv-filters as they've already done this within the coating of the lens. Thoughts on this?

Leica engineers say its preferable to use a Leica lens without filters. Interestingly enough, Leica filters are uncoated as far as I know.

Hood? Hood? We don't have no hood. We don't need no stinking hoods!

I think they said this in a movie, didn't they? Oh yeah! The Camera of the Sierra Madre

I don't really understand the question. A good lens hood is an integral part of the lens design - otherwise why would manufacturers like Leica design, build and even patent lens hood designs and fitting systems. Modern lenses are well designed and rarely flare, but any lens can flare and to try to avoid this when it may happen requires a hood. Period. Its a bit like driving without a seatbelt (already mentioned) or walking without shoes - there will be times when you may wish you had not done so.

Hood, whenever possible, even though my Zeiss lenses are as flare resistant as it gets these days... They are mostly for protection of the lens, and of course some lenses just look so much better with hood!

A good lens hood is an integral part of the lens design - otherwise why would manufacturers like Leica design, build and even patent lens hood designs and fitting systems.

Really? I thought most hoods were sold as an optional item. :rolleyes: I don't ever use hoods and rarely encounter flare.

Last edited:
100 % hoods, but some are cumbersome, like the hood for the Leica 28/35/50 Tri Elmar; it can even be dangerous for the lens if it catches up something in the way.

I always use a lens hood. It helps control stray light, increases contrast (by controlling stray light) and provides protection for the front element of the lens.

Some use a UV filter for lens protection. I have never done so and in 20+ years of making photographs, I have never had a lens front element damaged as a result.

In some situations, I would possibly put on a UV filter for protection - if I were photographing in the midst of a riot or a war zone or an environment jam-packed with drunken careless revelers, such as New Year's eve - but I'd also be using my lens hood.

Just my way of doing business - YMMV. ;)

As flare resistant as modern lenses are these days, I always use a hood. I have a matching hood for (nearly) every one of my lenses; M mount, Mamiya, Canon FD/EF... It might be a sickness, I haven't decided yet.

Not only do they combat flare, they offer a measure of physical protection.

I really like rubber collapsible lens hoods, but in many cases they're just too generic. They also don't work well with zooms.

I have hoods for almost every lens. We could start a Hood fetish thread :rolleyes:

Back