Horrifying prospect for any digital M8 8.2 owner!!!

Who wouldn't switch from a M8 to a M9 for little money?

Someone without means who saved, sold gear and eventually bought a M8. Someone who just can't come up with $2K or so because their LCD screen died. There are people like who own the M8 and and just can't handle an unexpected expense like this. That's who.

Someone without means who saved, sold gear and eventually bought a M8. Someone who just can't come up with $2K or so because their LCD screen died. There are people like who own the M8 and and just can't handle an unexpected expense like this. That's who.

Unfortunately if you really have to stretch just buy something and have no reserve for possible up keep then it might not be a good idea to play. Hand in hand with that might be the possible unspoken assumption by the manufacturer that anyone buying an expensive luxury good would not find up keep a problem. In that light Leica's offer of an up grade might be seen as reasonable under the circumstances. Unfortunate as it is that is life.

Bob

Just imagine the stories told by an older generation of photographers brought into the modern day:

"I bought my first Leica rangefinder when I was 12, with money from my paper route. A camera store owner in Virginia Beach, where I grew up, realized how passionate I was about photography and let me pay for it in weekly installments. He said, "Here, take the camera home, and after you do your collecting bring me 10 or 15 bucks. 6 months later it broke and when I called Leica's repair department they said it couldn't be repaired but if I could give them 400 dollars I could have a new camera."

Just imagine the stories told by an older generation of photographers brought into the modern day:

"I bought my first Leica rangefinder when I was 12, with money from my paper route. A camera store owner in Virginia Beach, where I grew up, realized how passionate I was about photography and let me pay for it in weekly installments. He said, "Here, take the camera home, and after you do your collecting bring me 10 or 15 bucks. 6 months later it broke and when I called Leica's repair department they said it couldn't be repaired but if I could give them 400 dollars I could have a new camera."

Leica and the world have changed since that was a possible scenario. I can't imagine any 12 year old paper boy getting an M9 on that basis today. It is just not relevant today, nostalgic maybe.

Bob

I guess a few people are looking at Leica with rose coloured glasses on and confusing what may have been in the distant past with the present. It is easy to do, most of us do it and it is easy to get hurt by doing it.

Funny thing is that the good old days were never quite as good as we would like to remember them anyway.

Bob

Not to mention anyone who bought a special/limited edition M8 at a premium. They are SOL now lol.

Leica didn't heed the LCD manufacturer's EOL warnings and they failed to place an end-of -life buy. Daniels just admitted they won't make this mistake on the M9.

Nice spin.

So, to sum up:
1. I have an M9 and I can relax.
2. I have an M8/8.2 and I can either relax, or worry.
a. Worry that I will get the display problem. Or:
b. Worry that I won't get the display problem.
3. I can buy an M9, yes, in 2012, with some confidence that this won't be an issue.
4. I can buy an M8/8.2 with the same worries as in 2 above.

Not so horrendous.

I really stretched myself financially whan I bought my M8 not long after they came out ... the camera at that time was $6500.00 here in Oz. I can buy Nikon's D4 for less than that here currently.

On the positive side I had no trouble with mine and sold it with less than ten thousand clicks on the shutter. If I still had it I wouldn't be sweating over the potential LCD failure and definitely wouldn't upgrade to the M9/M10 if it did die ... even if offered a hefty discount to do so!

Nice door stop! :D

Then it's not a good idea to buy a luxury good anyway.

Yup.
Bought an M8 after selling a bunch of stuff and saving for a while. Bought an M9 as an expense on my GI Bill but I still felt it. Sold the M8 then sold the M9. Both had numerous problems and both had multiple trips back to the factory for service in and out of warranty. I had to sell the M8 just to pay for the service charges. They are unreliable in spite of their fantastic image making qualities. Just not up to the QC of older film Leicas or any decent quality film camera for that matter. It says "Leica" on it but at its heart it was a Kodak with some issues. Heck, I've had $4 garage sale point and shoots that were more reliable.
Now I have an X100 that I don't use much because I'm in love with my Nikon SP and S2. They don't have LCD screens! :D
Leica will never get another penny of mine. They can sponsor me if they like but I will not buy any new Leica gear ever again because they have stated that they are now catering to the folks who want to wear their cameras as digital jewelery, not real, boots on the ground, photographers.

Phil Forrest

Excuse me, Buckaroo Bob, but this is all wrong.

The "red dot" (not magenta dot) was not a firmware problem, but an actual reflection of the rear lens surface of some lenses on the sensor IR filter.

My 14n did and does still have this problem with only a few lenses.

http://www.kodak.com/global/en/service/professional/tib/tib7063.jhtml?id=0.1.14.34.5.124&lc=en

Also, the sensor was Israeli, not Kodak, designed.

I don't know if you remember the "Magenta Dot" on the Kodak 14n. The 14n was one of the first FF digital cameras - Nikon mount. $4,500 + tax new. The Magenta dot became an issue - right in the center of the sensor. It wasn't mapped out in the firmware. While still under warranty, Kodak charged $1,500 for a sensor upgrade. For those who owned 2 cameras this was 2 x $4,500 + 2 x $1,500 for a known problem that Kodak wouldn't fix in cameras that were just 3 months into a 2 year warranty. Kodak's upgrade was the 14NX - meaning the sensor was changed out and new firmware reloaded. The next camera model was the SLRn.. same camera as the sensor upgraded 14NX.

So, those of us who got screwed by Kodak for some serious money - never bought another Kodak digital product. Kodak was soon out of the Pro Digital camera business. They didn't learn from a long history of instances, of not treating their customers well. Kodak invented modern digital photography - Look where they are today.

Interesting. Having an opinion yourself and presenting it as somebody else's statement.
Or do you have a reference for this strange assertion other than your own train of thought?
Rather insulting to both the members of this forum who do buy Leica for a phletora of reasons and your fellow pros who do use Leicas successfully, I should think.
stated that they are now catering to the folks who want to wear their cameras as digital jewelery, not real, boots on the ground, photographers.

Phil Forrest

Back