Horrifying prospect for any digital M8 8.2 owner!!!

No disrespect to anyone here, but I always wondered who would still use an M8, a camera from 2006 using technology from 2001? heck, even the M10 will be using 2009 technology :D

No disrespect to anyone here, but I always wondered who would still use an M8, a camera from 2006 using technology from 2001? heck, even the M10 will be using 2009 technology :D

Depends on what you are looking for in a camera. There's no doubt that DSLRs offer the best bang for the buck, but for many of us they are just not fun. If you no longer use film and want to use a RF, you have very few choices. That's why people still use the M8.

Sharpness of my M8 files are equal to the sharpness of full frame 5D/5DII (<= ISO 320) so this old technology is still quite capable.

Depends on what you are looking for in a camera. There's no doubt that DSLRs offer the best bang for the buck, but for many of us they are just not fun. If you no longer use film and want to use a RF, you have very few choices. That's why people still use the M8.

Don't get me wrong, I'm an RF convert myself. I have considered the M8 previously but thought it was a very bad investment for the reason I mentioned above. I should have bought the M9 last year, but instead bought film cameras with film about to get obsolete (no lab options where I live anymore) so even worse idea :D Now I'm selling my film cameras and waiting for the M10 or the rumored ME, with the remorse that I should have gotten into digital M directly.

you use a Zeiss Ikon........LOL. that's the latest technology isn't it....

I'm sorry sir. I'll stop worrying now. :p
Yes, funny. My comment about worrying was not aimed at you, but the overall sentiment in this thread.

The M8 remains as reliable as it was before the news from Leica. Now there is one part that cannot be replaced. That's bad news, especially since this part is known to have shown mostly cosmetic issues that most users (myself included) would have preferred to have fixed if they appeared on their own camera. The real failure rate (as in dead, can't use) of the said part is however low.

... I thought M8 was introduced in 2006 and the M8.2 was still on sale in 2009 making some of the cameras involved less than 4 years old, no?

Unfortunately if you really have to stretch just buy something and have no reserve for possible up keep then it might not be a good idea to play. Hand in hand with that might be the possible unspoken assumption by the manufacturer that anyone buying an expensive luxury good would not find up keep a problem. In that light Leica's offer of an up grade might be seen as reasonable under the circumstances. Unfortunate as it is that is life.

Bob

I agree that a reserve for out of warranty repairs is prudent. But equaling the price of a used M8 you bought 3 months ago or half the price of the new M8 you bought is unreasonable.

I hope others give your advice to future posters who ask, "Should I buy a used M8?"

The M8 remains as reliable as it was before the news from Leica. Now there is one part that cannot be replaced. That's bad news, especially since this part is known to have shown mostly cosmetic issues that most users (myself included) would have preferred to have fixed if they appeared on their own camera. The real failure rate (as in dead, can't use) of the said part is however low.

But an unfortunate side effect (except perhaps for new buyers) is that prices of M8s and M8.2s will likely come down significantly as a result of this ordeal, despite the potentially low numbers. Nobody knows if the camera they buy might end up with the problem, so the mere possibility will now become a pricing factor.

In addition, there has been no formal statement about the cost to replace defective cameras with an M9 or M9P, so that lends uncertainty to cost and pricing considerations.

Jeff

M9 used prices may approach what Leica wants to swap out the screen in the M8.

I know someone who has a good stock of used M9s, am pretty sure folks here should know others in the same boat.

However, I can suffer disappointment as I thought they were better than this.

At the very least, the parts should be made available to folks who want to keep their M8s or even sell them.

I was happy the M8 and M9 shared the same battery ;-), and considered the M9M, now I am seeing Fuji in a different light.

Yeah, and I had the movement swapped out of an electric watch for a new Japanese movement, I just like that watch, though I have my mechanical watches rebuilt.

Is someone going to buy up remaining parts or open a junk yard for digital cameras other than ebay?

Some European countries require a one year warranty on the repair of anything.

Regards, John

If you're using modern film, then I suppose it is.

But if you're happy with M8 quality when it came out, then you're likely happy with it now. It'll still blow away 99% of camera sold now, as will the ZI.

But an unfortunate side effect (except perhaps for new buyers) is that prices of M8s and M8.2s will likely come down significantly as a result of this ordeal, despite the potentially low numbers.
This whole thing coincides quite nicely with the expected "M10 and something else" release, which can dilute the effect. But there are those who already said they will never buy anything Leica again. Perhaps they will list their gear very cheaply. :) And in CONUS only. :mad:

I agree that a reserve for out of warranty repairs is prudent. But equaling the price of a used M8 you bought 3 months ago or half the price of the new M8 you bought is unreasonable.

I hope others give your advice to future posters who ask, "Should I buy a used M8?"

Yea, it may seem unreasonable but what are the alternatives under the present situation? Leica might possibly be able to get a custom small order run of replacement screens made but at what coat? Likely at the same or greater cost than offering an M9 replacement at a huge discount. They could refund the purchase price of the M8 to the user. They could be forced by class action lawsuits in a number of countries that have consumer laws mandating a supply of repair parts for X number of years to do either of the above plus pay fines. That might in the long run ruin Leica. Crappy situation for all involved.

It is a situation that you could find yourself in when buying any thing used or new at the end or past it's production life. You pay your money and ya takes yer chances.

I would not wish the present situation on anyone involved.

Bob

Unfortunately if you really have to stretch just buy something and have no reserve for possible up keep then it might not be a good idea to play. Hand in hand with that might be the possible unspoken assumption by the manufacturer that anyone buying an expensive luxury good would not find up keep a problem. In that light Leica's offer of an up grade might be seen as reasonable under the circumstances. Unfortunate as it is that is life.

Bob

Exactly!
If you want to buy a luxury item (which Leica is kind of nowadays) and only can afford the item itself but no repair or spare parts, you should think twice if you really want to buy this item.

Of course it would be nice if a 2005 M digital camera could be repaired in 2020 but thats just illusive.
Leica is a profit-orientated company like many others, nothing bad about that IMO.

The Zeiss Ikon is a current camera which is still in production and fully supported by Carl Zeiss AG. The Ricoh GXR-M that I use is also light years ahead of the M8 in terms of image quality. What's your point exactly?

Back