How Chriscrawfordphoto does it...

rover

Staff member
Local time
1:46 PM
I am very happy that at the way my first thread about some of our members' techniques has been accepted. in that thread I mentioned that I initially asked two members to provide the forum with an explanation of how they do what they do, Chris Crawford is that other member. If you read the Film and Developing Forum here at RFF, then you are familiar with Chris' contributions and sharing here. Chris recently described to the forum his use of D-76, and the detail that is described in Kodak's Tech Sheet for this product which explains the volume of solution which is required for various number of reels of film. His attention to detail and the extent to which he has experimented to perfect his method was never more apparent.

When I approached Chris yesterday he very willingly accepted my request, and went to work making some changes and updates to his website where in fact he has quite a bit of technical data about the films and developers he uses, as well as his scanning methods. Chris is also at work putting together pages which will discuss his printing techniques and Camera Work, how he sets exposure and such.

Those who have visited Chris' website have already enjoyed the information he generously shares there. If you have not yet done so, please do and enjoy....

First the front page,

http://www.chriscrawfordphoto.com/

and of course his Tech Pages,

http://www.chriscrawfordphoto.com/technical/index.php

Please let me offer another very big thank you...

Thank you Chris!!!​

Your contributions here at RFF are very appreciated.

I like what Chris does...
I like his eye...
I like his results...
I like his willingness to share...(knowledge, as well as images)
I also must applaud his time invested in his Photography...it's something a lot of people don't see as worthwhile...
To all the Newbies who want to cut corners and expect perfection it doesn't work that way...there are many years of learning and doing invested in what Chris does to produce what he does...you just can't cheat or luck your way to that...
I must say "Thank you" to Chris for your hard work and time spent on Photography...it shows...

I must admit that I do greatly value Chris' knowledge... when I see one of his posts I always stop to read it.

I always like hearing the thoughts of talented photographers of film and developer choices and the way they handle those products. In seeing a few of the images that Chris has posted on RFF, I am particularly struck by the high key nature of many of his pictures, and the way he handles and uses those high values to give his images a particular feel. His rendering of snow is very impressive.

Thanks for connecting these. Chris is a serious photographer, I'm more of an experimenter. So, more points of view is always helpful.

Thanks for the kind words everyone, and thanks Rover for asking me to do this. As soon as I get some other work done I'm going to be adding some more info to my site.

I find his tech page really has a lot of great information that has been gathered with lots of experience. Can't beat a treat like that!

Chris is very generous with time and information, having helped me with a printer problem a while back. In addition to being excellent technically, of course, he also has a great eye and a distinctive style. Rover, I think this is a brilliant idea. John was a good place to start and Chris a good place to continue. Who will be next? I for one have a lot to learn (few of you out there are as technically sloppy as I am; all my scratches, stains, water spots, dust and hairs are slowly becoming my "style;" not something I'm exactly proud of).

Chris, thanks.

I have always enjoyed Chris's contributions. And his personal work does inspire me to keep improving and gives me ideas for my own projects.
His details about film/developer combo's is a nice addition, and well presented.
Thanks Chris, fellow Hoosier.

If you have already visited Chris' web site and technical pages (like I did again yesterday), there is reason to do so again. Chris has finished and added a page on his printing techniques. Thank you again Chris.

"That's a huge compliment, because the prints that you have were made on an Epson R2400!"

Exactly my point! I only wish I could get as good B&W results on my 3800.

I've been working on a lot of new tutorials since this thread was last updated. My tech info pages are now at Crawford Photo School and I have been teaching myself to shoot and edit video so that I can make video tutorials showing my techniques for film processing, shooting, and Photoshop editing! My YouTube channel has seven videos on it now!

That's a huge compliment, because the prints that you have were made on an Epson R2400! :D:D:D:D

Priceless Chris! Goes to show, with knowledge, patience, it really does not matter if it is a darkroom or lightroom print. What matters is attention to one's technique and soul.

Bravo.

Thanks for continuing to share your knowledge with us! I keep going back to you developers/films section as well as the scanning tutorial. All very useful information.

Back