How Chriscrawfordphoto does it...

Thanks very much for the latest tutorial on BW conversion! Although I'm using Gimp and not Photoshop it was very useful - especially your explanation and parameters of the unsharp mask. Getting much closer now to the look I have in mind.

I learnt something about unsharp mask today ... thanks Chris. :)

Actually as a self taught shooter it amazes me how much I have learnt here at RFF through general information from others ... and people like yourself.

Ronald,

I agree with you. I think some of it, like esoteric developing methods such as stand developing, represents the perpetual quest for a "Magic Bullet" some photographers spend a lifetime chasing.

Pushing is useful in some types of work, like photojournalism, where getting a shot is so important that you can sacrifice absolute quality (example, if the film you have isn't fast enough, you can push to 'get a picture' even if the picture sucks..its better than no picture).

Using old film is just tightfistedness. I know some people who do it genuinely don't have much money, but RFF is full of men who make more than 95% of the population of the USA or the EU, who own $30,000 worth of Leica gear, and then quibble over spending $6 a roll for film. Dumb, dumb, dumb.

I'm with you on both points Chris.

At this time of year the days in Europe are so short, and I consistently shoot everything at around ISO 800 for December and January. This has given me a good feeling for what I gain and lose with that 1 to 1.5 stop of pushing a 400 bid speed film. Sometimes I like the resulting look, and sometimes it is better than not getting the shot. That would actually be an interesting topic for a real discussion thread here, but I fear has too much internet lore baggage to be a useful exercise.

As for expired film, certainly! I'm one order of magnitude less in gear value and yet see the point you are making. Why bother trying to save on film when a roll plus DIY development is less than the cost of a pint / coffee / choose your poison? Penny wise, pound foolish, and probably still missed the shot!

Cheers,
Rob

One of my favorite black and white film developers is PMK, a Pyrogallol based developer that gives incredible tonality, especially with foggy landscapes. It is a notoriously difficult developer to use, because of its tendency to cause streaks and spots on films if your developing technique is not correct.

In this new tutorial video, I demonstrate how to use PMK to get perfect results.

http://youtu.be/N_ffCsZ-WwE

Dear Chris,

Thanks again for your help. This PMK thingy might come in handy for me in the future. Been thinking of mixing my own Obsidian Aqua and then PMK (mid-term plan)

Bests,

Ashfaque

PS: I had no idea that you have a YouTube channel! .... subscribed

Chris,
Thank you for sharing all you do, most of it is over my head at this point but I look forward to learning!

You're welcome. I've been having a lot of health issues lately, so I haven't added anything new in a while, but I am getting ready to do so.

Are there any techniques any of you would like to see me do tutorials on?

Health issue stink. I hope that all resolves Chris.

A few days ago I looked at some old material you posted about scanning. Couldn't help but think what a helpful RFF member that Chris guy is.

Back