How did you get into Leicas?

When I was a kid, a teacher made me aware of a photographer named H. C. Bresson. I later became aware of Robert Frank, Gerry Winnogrand, and Kryn Taconis - I had to try out the camera that they all used. I'm a mostly an SLR guy these days, but I still shoot an M2 and a Leica I - in fact, the latter is my EDC.
O yes, I'm a big fan of Henri C.B. - I have all his books - and of Robert Franks book "The Americans". They used mostly a 50mm, sometimes a 35mm. There is no method for good photography IMO. Just use your eyes and keep your camera ready at all times. What is "EDC"? I love to use the Leica 1a.

gelatin silver print (elmar 50mm f3.5) leica 1a (1928)

Amsterdam, 2022

1705559501313.png

Last edited:
Erik, EDC is "every day carry."

I find acronyms frustrating because I don't always know them, or I know them with another meaning in another context - and I'm a native speaker of English.

Your English is excellent, but we have members with varying levels of English proficiency, and I consider it a courtesy to them, especially, (and to many native speakers) to be sparing in our use of acronyms.

- Murray

O yes, I'm a big fan of Henri C.B. - I have all his books - and of Robert Franks book "The Americans". They used mostly a 50mm, sometimes a 35mm. There is no method for good photography IMO. Just use your eyes and keep your camera ready at all times. What is "EDC"? I love to use the Leica 1a.

gelatin silver print (elmar 50mm f3.5) leica 1a (1928)

Amsterdam, 2022

View attachment 4831686
Sorry about the acronym, Murray's point about them is absolutely correct. If you'd like to see The Leica I, here's a pic from another thread...

Generous parents. Forty five years ago. The idea was with glasses the rangefinder would allow me all of the 50mm frame. But I was compromising that, using my dominant left eye. Years later I bought a 35 Summicron to try to keep my young children within the frame lines. Had to learn to shoot with my right eye in my mid 30s. It worked. I sort of prefer it now. The M2 is still my best camera, and I’d have to concede, the only Leica I really need.

I fully intend to get it serviced! Even before getting the first scans back and seeing the shutter issue, the rangefinder is slightly out of alignment and the VF could use a good cleaning. There's also some rust on the body where the vulcanite has chipped off. The Summarit has some fungus and haze and I believe the Summicron has some haze as well. I hope to continue to shoot it alongside my other cameras. It's very nice. I've always been impressed by the feel of Leicas when handling them in the store and the viewfinder experience is leaps and bounds better than the Olympus and Canonet fixed lens rangefinders I've shot with. I'm also largely a 50mm shooter so the lack of 35mm frame lines is something I can live with.
I just mailed the M3, Summicron, Summarit and Leicameter MR off to DAG yesterday for overhaul.

I like working with Don Goldberg. When we were visiting Japan, he timed it so that his repaired Canon 50/1.2 would arrive to our home in Florida when we returned from our trip. He finds things that most repair people would miss. In the Canon 50/1.2 it was an optical element that had shifted, and all focusing was weird looking.

Erik, EDC is "every day carry."

I find acronyms frustrating because I don't always know them, or I know them with another meaning in another context - and I'm a native speaker of English.

Your English is excellent, but we have members with varying levels of English proficiency, and I consider it a courtesy to them, especially, (and to many native speakers) to be sparing in our use of acronyms.

- Murray
Well, technically, “EDC” is an initialism, not an acronym. Acronyms are pronounced as words, such as NASA and POTUS and, of course, our favorite acronym - LEICA.

I have never heard of "Initialisms" but I learned something new today. Thank you @JohnWolf!

From: Abbreviations vs. Acronyms vs. Initialisms - The Blue Book of Grammar and Punctuation
Initialisms are abbreviations that are pronounced one letter at a time.
Examples:
– FBI
– HTML
– IBM
– DVD
– BTW (by the way)
Note that most people would simply call these abbreviations, which is fine. Some would call them acronyms, which sticklers would challenge.

Acronyms are abbreviations that are pronounced as words.
Examples:
– NATO (North Atlantic Treaty Organization)
– AIDS (Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndrome)
– OPEC (Organization of the Petroleum Exporting Countries)
– SPA (Society of Professional Accountants)
– ASAP (as soon as possible)
– Radar (radio detecting and ranging)
– Scuba (self-contained underwater breathing apparatus)

Back