Votes: 35 14.5%
  • 7-9 years

Votes: 19 7.9%
  • 10+ years (please specify)

Votes: 102 42.1%

• Total voters
Fuji NPH-400 from 2006

8103306098_b78c665e26_z.jpg

I have some Tri-X from 97 in my Bronica right now. I can post results is requested once the roll is complete.

I just recently shot some 126 Verichrome Pan that "expired" 9/89. I ran it in HC-110 B according to the tech sheet at 65° to minimize fog. It looked great. A hint of fog only.

bldg-v1-1.jpg

advice for shooting expired film

advice for shooting expired film

There is so much to be considered when shooting expired film and rules of thumb for how long a film is expired and whether it is good to shoot don't work. In general, roll films stand up better than cassettes. B&W films better than color, films stored cold better than hot, Kodak better than Fuji, negative better than transparency. Add to that, is the person shooting expecting a pristine image or are they excited about getting a unique distressed look.

Regardless...fun question and I'm interested to see the responses.

For those that are thinking of shooting expired film here's a fairly useful link regarding specifics about expired film....

http://www.filmrescue.com/qualities/factors/

I still have a half dozen rolls of 1984 Agfa Superpan 200. I shoot it at 100 and it comes out beautiful.

Their packaging was superb. It's fun to use; to remember the glory days of quality products before everything was ruined by the incessant drive to lower costs.

Funny because they made plenty good profit in those days. The cost cutting has gotten us nowhere but worse.

Damned MBA's have ruined the whole world.

There is so much to be considered when shooting expired film and rules of thumb for how long a film is expired and whether it is good to shoot don't work. In general, roll films stand up better than cassettes. B&W films better than color, films stored cold better than hot, Kodak better than Fuji, negative better than transparency. Add to that, is the person shooting expecting a pristine image or are they excited about getting a unique distressed look.

Regardless...fun question and I'm interested to see the responses.

For those that are thinking of shooting expired film here's a fairly useful link regarding specifics about expired film....

http://www.filmrescue.com/qualities/factors/

Thanks for chiming in here.

The linked site is well worth a look folks, especially the samples.

One of the great mysteries to me is this fascination with expired film?!?!? Why not shoot fresh film? I just don't get it. But I'm old, so there's a lot I don't get. Holgas, hip-hop, sushi...........

Because most of the time i get it free

Plaubel Makiflex Instant Photography.

Plaubel Makiflex Instant Photography.

Shot with a 1960's Plaubel Makiflex Standard and 135 barrel Xenar lens.
9x9cm image on Polaroid 52, developed for four minutes, instead of 20 seconds. Amazing that there is still an image at all. I still have about a hundred sheets of old 52 Polaroid to shoot up.

Instant Film Photography is still a HOOT.

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 0
Kiev 60
Kodak Tri-X Pan 400
Expired June 1987
Developed 08/19/2012 in L-76 @ 6 min
Kiev60TTL005.jpg

Graflex Pacemaker Crown Graphic
Kodak Royal Pan 2 1/4 X 3 1/4 Sheet Film
Expired Jan 1964
Developed 10/24/2012 in D-76 @ 10 min.
The film wanted to curl, the washed out corner is caused by the wadded up tissue I used to hold it down.
KodakRoyalSheetFilmASA400001.jpg

I recently developed a roll of Panatomic X (UK made) 120 size, in HC110 Dil B at 18C. The film had expired in 1970, and I shot it at box speed in September 2012. Zero fog - I was astonished.

Unfortunately, I don't have a scanner at the moment, so can't upload a sample :-(

When buying expired 35mm film, I try and buy bulk lengths in a can. That way, if the test roll is fine, almost certainly the rest of the can will be.

When digital jumped us all, there was "lots" of film available.
That's done! Even at large photo fairs the prices are too high.
Also i no longer wish to take chances..carefully using bad film!
Buying bulk rolls helps if one has good source. It will be B+H
for me! Here in Canada, prices are soaring. Not as bad as UK.
The get-kwik-rich idea, on the fewer remaining users push us to digital.
The traditional camera stores will lose us as clients with this.
We will become mail order folks. Labs too..

Fujichrome Velvia 50 (RPV 120) expired 1999-10

Fujichrome Velvia 50 (RPV 120) expired 1999-10

Friend of mine gave me a brick of this stuff. I keep trying to find out which camera I have that will work well with it. Shot these with a Bencini Koroll 120.
(It only has 1/50 at f11)

Goose Creek Valley by br1078phot, on Flickr

Field of Yellow and Green by br1078phot, on Flickr

I did attempt to wipe out the purplish cast these had. Maybe I'll just reroll them for some redscale work.

PF

A buddy of mine who nowadays only shoots medium or large format handed me a big bag of film he'd left at the top of his closet. Most of it hovered around the 10 year mark. A lot of Tri-X, which, save for some rolls that fogged while pushing, were all great if grainy. Rated at 320 and shot to my hearts content. a bit of Portra 160, which was a little grainy, but no color shifts at box speed. A lot of Velvia 100F, which looks brand new shot at box speed.

Hard to say. I have used Kodak Panatomic X in Rodinal that had expired before I was born and came out neatly. I have used Ilford P4 Surveillance that had expired in 2008 and the results were grainy and foggy.

I've got some 43-year+ old (expired 43 years ago) Kodalith I am trying to use. It's a challenge more than a viable replacement for in-date film. It's interesting to find out what it takes to make it work properly. And the abnormal response curve doesn't help, and the fact that I'm not using it in the correct developer, or for the intended purpose.

Sadly the last attempt I made I completely forgot it was in the developer, and followed that up by forgetting it was in the fixer. Still, it's lithography film so all-or-nothing is where it wants to go anyway.

Scan-140715-0022 by Scrambler@4350, on Flickr

A useless photo even if properly exposed and developed, but something turned up despite all the reasons it shouldn't.

Oh well, I'll keep trying...

I love using junk film, long expired and stored poorly. There are tons of it around if you look—people can't really sell it except as junk.

I find it's fun to just toss it in a camera, guess at a sensitivity, shoot, and see what I can make of what comes out of it. Some of my favorite photos of the past decade have emerged out of doing just that with film that was 14, 15, 20 years expired.

This set came out of a roll of 13 years out of date Kodak Advantix APS film ...

Bend

I've tried and tried, it proves very very difficult to reproduce the color palette. and there's something about the prints that is just delightful to my eye.

G

Two years ago I discovered stored in a box in my upstairs study, eleven rolls of 36-exp FP4 with an expiry date of 1986.

Used them and sent them off to a processor with a covering note (I now don’t have the ability to process my own films)… and they came back developed perfectly with not a sign of fog or lacking in quality.

Back