How Many Digital Cameras Have You Owned?

How Many Digital Cameras Have You Owned?

• Total voters

dshfoto

Well-known
Local time
2:20 AM
I was looking through some of my photos and started to ask my self the question, "How many digital cameras have I owned?"
For myself I came up with this list:

Canon G1 - 2001

Fujifilm FinePix S2 Pro - 2003

Leica D-Lux 3
10 megapixels

Leica Digital-Modul-R - 2006
10MP CCD sensor

Canon EOS 30D - 2008
8.2 mp

Leica M8 - 2011
10 megapixels

Lytro Light Field Camera
11 'Megaray'* sensor

Pentax 645D 2016
40 Megapixels

About thirty-some digital cameras in toto, including six iDevices with cameras. I made a list that I think is pretty complete to figure it out.

Then I started to make a list of all the film cameras I've owned/own. I stopped at 82 cameras, and I'm sure that's less than half the real number.

I've been making photographs since about 1962 or so; bought my first 'quality' digital camera in 2002. It makes sense that I have owned/own three times the number of film cameras compared to digital cameras. Still own a bunch of both.

So ... What's the point of doing this poll, concentrating on how many digital cameras one has owned? It's entertaining to count, for sure, but why a poll?

G

About thirty-some digital cameras in toto, including six iDevices with cameras. I made a list that I think is pretty complete to figure it out. Then I started to make a list of all the film cameras I've owned/own. I stopped at 82 cameras, and I'm sure that's less than half the real number.
Hokey-Smokey! You have been at it a decade longer than I have, but in 44 years I count fewer than ten 35mm, one MF, and three LF cameras. Add in five digital, including three point and shoots.

Nikon D100
Canon 10D
Leica M8
Leica M9
Fuji X100
Nikon D2Hs
Nikon D2Hs (for only a few days)
Fuji X100
Nikon D3
Nikon D300s
So it's ten for me. The only ones I ever owned together are the Leicas.
I really want to find a low shutter actuation count Canon G12 or G15 and be done with it.

Phil Forrest

Nikon D40 (do not recommend this)
Nikon D50 (still have this as backup, haven't used anymore in the past 4 years)
Nikon D7000 (currenlty shooting with)

Canon compact thing for my wife.

Edit: oh and a samsung smartphone, which I use as crappy camera if no other camera in my hand.

Not counting the cameras on the various cell phones I've owned, the list is:
* Minolta Dimage 7i
* Olympus C-7070WZ
* Ricoh GRDIII

I own none of those at this time. Film only at the moment other than my smartphone (a Pixel 2 which does a dandy job as a daily carry camera).

Not including Camera Phones, 4.

2 were AGFA 10mp things I got as spares repairs to showcase models and sales stuff, one in silver and another in bright pink, silver had a busted screen and meant to swap the one from the pink over but sticker wrapped the pink one in Car stickers insted.

Nikon Coolpix L810, loved this thing even if it was still technically a basic Camera, still miss it but got a note from its new owner who loves it as well.

Nikon D3400, Bought it with a bit of my redundancey in Black friday sales to try and teach myself modern SLR usage, it lives in its bag mostly as I still prefer using a RF

Number 5 I hope will be a Leica but that will be a way off and if I want digital that DSLR will do for now.

10, all of them bought secondhand and still with me
all working minus the RX100III which I hope to be able to repair
Sony NEX5T not yet used, bought as "backup" for the NEX5N
+ 2 hand phones with decent enough cameras, Samsung Galaxy S3 and Huawei Nova 2i

Ricoh Caplio R3
Konica Minolta A2
Fuji Finepix F31fd
Pentax *istDs
Pentax K-x
Sony NEX5n
Ricoh GXR M
Sony A7
Sony NEX5T
Sony RX100III

Film cameras: 104
Digital cameras: 4

Also 5 ciné cameras, 8mm and 16mm film.

My film cameras span the years from 1934 to 2004, but the majority are from the 1960's to 1980's. I bought my first serious camera in 1971. I use all my film cameras.

My digital cameras are: DiMAGE X1, X-Pro1, D700, K10D

The story of these acquisitions:

In 2005 my thoughts were that I didn't want to be ignorant of new technology (even though I'm a firmware engineer), so I bought a Konica Minolta DiMAGE X1. It's 8MP, pocketable, and has some useful features that I still don't see on current digital cameras (*). I used it a lot because it can be taken anywhere easily; I still use it.

In 2013, the Fuji X-Pro1 captured my attention with its traditional external controls and hybrid viewfinder. The quality of its images is more than good enough for me. I have the 35/1.4 and 23/1.4 for it, but I've made less than 1000 exposures with the X-Pro1 because (1) I use it like a film camera - not making many shots of a subject - and (2) I use my film cameras more.

A few years later I bought a D700 for a few reasons - mainly I liked the idea of a full frame camera that allowed me to use my Nikon lenses and I wanted be knowledgeable about Nikon's digital cameras. This was at the time the D600 was having "inkspot" issues and even the D800's quality control was being questioned. To this day the D700 remains a legendary favorite in Nikon's digital product line. My 2008 D700 had about 30,000 clicks on the shutter when I bought it. I've added maybe only 500 more. It's a fine camera, but it has typical digital camera control ergonomics. The Df would be more to my liking. However, the reputation and reliability of the D700 prevents me from selling the D700 and getting a Df.

With these three cameras is where I thought my digital camera acquisitions would end, but a friend offered me a Pentax K10D for only $10 if I wanted it. I read the manual, thought it was interesting, and bought it. Another $85 at KEH got me a nice SMC DA 35/2.4 lens. This 2006 camera had 17,000 clicks on it when I bought it. It's easy to use and understand; it's actually a lot of fun to use - actually I think I like it better than the X-Pro1 and D700.

(*) in addition to video, the DiMAGE X1 has a few really interesting still-capture modes. In one, for example, you could hold the shutter button and it starts capturing photos at high speed in a cyclic buffer; when you release the button, the last series of captured photos are retained. So to photograph a golf swing, for example, just hold down the button anytime before the swing begins and release it upon completion. Upon release, you'll have a whole series of shots fractions of a second apart. The advantage of this mode is that you can start making the photos anytime and not care how long the activity takes - what gets saved is the last few seconds of activity prior to the end.

I hava one and only digital is M8.2
Fantastic camera. all my other cameras are analog.
I don't need bells and whistles . So I am not after Pixels too.
I am after photography .

Reactions: pgk
8 cameras:
Nikon Coolpix 5600
Canon EOS T1i
Canon EOS 7D
Canon PowerShot S95
Canon PowerShot S100
Canon EOS 5D III
Fuji X10
Leica M10

Yikes. I voted 13, but realized I forgot one. At least it's good to see others have it even worse than i do...

I started off with a Nikon D40 as my first real camera, bought with my hard earned scratch. Eventually took up micro four thirds, starting with a lowly Panasonic GF3 and working through several more cameras, including a couple of Olympus, before selling down with the GX85 for a long time... But I'm back at it, with a DSLR and a Ricoh GR III.

I get the nagging feeling the should be a digital camera a little closer to perfect. Just a little closer...

Personally I don't think equipment counts necessarily matter unless you run out of money or space, or things deteriorate or die through lack of use. When I paint I don't limit myself to one brush or one colour or even one medium, so why worry about numbers of cameras?

Two: One Leica M8.2 and a Panasonic Lumix DMC ZS 100. Of these, the Panasonic gets lots of use as a travel/family camera. I bought the M8 to provide a digital workflow that supported my current Leica lenses.

Three since 2007, all 4:3 format.
2007, Olympus E300, sold
2009, Olympus E410, given to grandson
2018, Olympus EM10, current

Back