How many Leica M8's do you currently own?

How many Leica M8's do you currently own?

• Total voters
Still just one -the same M8 I have owned since they first came out. Shot three assignments for our weekly newspaper this past week, all with my only coded and ir filter equipped lens, a pre-asph 35 Summilux. Very outdated, but still capable of producing outstanding results. No plans to update.

I just bought an M8. This will be my 4th one. I have bought and then sold them for something better. I missed the B&W output. The new one will keep my other film and digital M’s company.

The M8 has a couple of advantages over the cameras that replaced it- 1/8000th shutter speed rather than 1/4000th, and the saturation count for the KAF-10500 is 50% higher than the full-frame sensors that came afterwards. Probably due to sensor thinning required to handle light coming in at steep angles.

I've my M8 for over 11 years now. My oldest digital cameras in working order are coming up on 25 years. I would expect 40 years to be a limit, for when basic components start to break down. I will have broken down well before that.

I've my M8 for over 11 years now. My oldest digital cameras in working order are coming up on 25 years. I would expect 40 years to be a limit, for when basic components start to break down. I will have broken down well before that.

You just reminded me of my old digital cameras.
For example, the Nikon D1 and its younger successor, the Nikon D2x
Curious to know, what are your oldest digital cameras?

interesting thing cannot wait to try with my old M8 files is the new Adobe Super Resolution enhancing mode. it multiplies the resolution and might even do some improvement to the noise amounts in the image. some of my old M8 night shots are noisy as **** :D

interesting thing cannot wait to try with my old M8 files is the new Adobe Super Resolution enhancing mode. it multiplies the resolution ....
Very interesting thought; I will have to look into trying that! :)
Edit: FWIW I have two M8 cameras, a black one and a chrome M8u

I used LR to "enhance" an M8 DNG file, which quadrupled its file-size as expected (10.6->44.4Mb). But then exporting it to full-size TIF resulted in a file with exactly the same dimensions as one made from the original DNG. Same normal resolution, 51.8Mb file-size, pixel count, everything the same as usual. The two TIF files looked identical under examination at 300%. No change in file-size was chosen in the Export form. Odd.

Check with the Adobe websites etc, but I think the Super Resolution thing is only available in camera raw and bridge, not Lightroom yet. While LR gives an Enhanced Details option that balloons your file size, that’s not this new super resolution function. Furthermore, unless you update to recent version of LR, it won’t properly recognize a DNG that was enhanced with super resolution in Camera Raw. At least that was my experience. Once i got that sorted, a file i processed in Camera Raw did show the expected new pixel count in LR.

So it’s cumbersome now, but will eventually get supported directly in LR

Thanks, Christian... I'm not really a Photoshop user but I do have the current desktop subscription version as part of the package. I don't see Camera Raw as a separate application but when I opened the same DNG as above with Photoshop it opened in Camera Raw. Amazing.

I saw that Photoshop/Camera Raw read and applied the Lightroom instructions/settings from when I earlier edited the photo there. Handy.

So I made the SuperRes enhancement and that got me a 153.1Mg DNG file! Now this is still from an M8... I brought that into my LR catalog and exported it as a TIFF, wow 207.1Mb! And it is very visibly enhanced with better sharpness, even to including sharpening the out-of-focus areas. Pretty trick. But maybe not so much if you like bokeh...

Here is the original shot, from an M8 with 24mm Summilux
U77I1572835538.SEQ.3.jpg

And here is the "enhanced" version just now made... Not at all sure there will be a visible difference at this small display size.
U77I1616557321.SEQ.0.jpg

Accidentally hit 2, but only have one m8, which is currently on its way to hopefully get repaired. But I’m starting to think I need a backup for times like this!

Regarding the original question, I suppose I am just getting too old but my immediate thoughts are “WHAT A CHILDISH POINTLESS QUESTION” to ask.

Back