How to recover your photos from an old Corrupt SSD card and advise.

Cyriljay

Leica Like
Local time
8:08 AM
I need help folks !!! I have a Ssd card and it failed recently and seems it has gone corrupt .
Have done a research and tried some software to get my images back. There are softwares but there are not free. I don't feel like buying or subscribe to a software which will not be used second time or occasionally. I understand there are some other ways to re-fomat or fix a corrupt cad on a Mac. using the TERMINAL . Any suggestions or advise . I thank you all in advance!!

@raydm6 Thank you... I havn't tried it on Disk utility.
Is it going to erase the SSD card or reformat while I use the disk utility? I don't know the process that does. Is this repair sequence doesn't affect the content in the Card I am not sure. It is worth trying that way then..

Are you using a disk format such as exFat that is compatible with Windows and do you have a Windows computer? If so- I've used Recuva for years, and would give it a try.
It is not available for MAC. I use the free version, but paid for 5 full versions for work. Never had to use the extra features, but the software was so good thought they deserved to be paid.

Every time I've bought a Sandisk card it has come with a code for their recovery software. Just sayin'....

I’ve only used Stellar Phoenix, which wasn’t free, but worked and is excellent. Got all but one image back and most of the photos from the time before when the card was used too. It was worth it for me because the photos were from jobs and I needed to deliver. Worth considering if everything else fails.

1. You mean SD card.
2. I have found that paying for ScanDisk's recovery program is the best way. Ultimately the files are there but you need to repair the file structure and addressing on the card. Reformatting the card in Disk Utility has worked for me in the past. It's scary doing that, but that restores access to the files. The dedicated programs do it better. One time I could only get a PC to see the card in the first place. It is all logical and at the same time pragmatic and unsettling.

There is a big difference between SD cards and SSD cards. SD cards- should be easy to plug into a USB reader and then into most any computer. Recuva works on Windows based computers, and has a good shot at recovering lost files. SD cards tend to use formatting that is compatible with Apple, Windows, and other OS.

SSD: Solid State Disk, these work like a Hard Drive in a computer. The format depends on the OS of the computer. The physical interface is likely to be SATA or some other. Adapters exist to allow these to interface via USB. These adapters normally must supply the correct voltages to the SSD.

Random Example of an SSD "card":

And- I have used ones like this.

Thank you all for all the advices . sorry I could not come back earlier. My problem is SD card that I used in my camera. It was stopped half way and I replaced it and then I came back to upload the images it says no images etc. Then I guessed it is having a problem.
and I have correct something. I am only access to a Mac so any soft ware that must be Mac compatible . SD I used is- Scan disk EXTREAM a bit older version. I always reformat my card only on the camera software. Never do that on computer based software. So I never had any problem for many years and this the the first time. Thank you again for all the support.
Cyril.

The problem using the Sandisk Extreme Pro in the M9 was a design flaw in the Sandisk SD card, not the camera.

I use Sandisk 4x cards in mine. I had a Transcend Card fail miserably, the problem was the card- not the camera.

The Sandisk Extreme,

Tried copying some files to the card using the Sandisk USB "all in one" imagemate.

"Operation could not be completed due to I/O error".

There is Crap.

There is absolute Crap.

There is Pure Crap.

This Sandisk card is Pure, Absolute CRAP!

And the SDCARD.ORG "Official" format utility now reports that the card is write protected.

Last Sandisk card that I will ever buy.

Last edited:
I hope that with so much advice being given to you here that you can successfully recover all/most images.

The problem using the Sandisk Extreme Pro in the M9 was a design flaw in the Sandisk SD card, not the camera.

I use Sandisk 4x cards in mine. I had a Transcend Card fail miserably, the problem was the card- not the camera.

The Sandisk Extreme,
Heh, I have a few SD/whatever cards I've amassed over the past few years that have the sort of behaviour described in the thread you linked. Cards that work in some cameras and not others, Windows unable to read/write to them and so on. Fortunately nothing major, but a lot of time lost in frustration.

Back