I admit it: I miss film

Local time
1:13 PM
Last year I sold all my film gear and went 100% digital. I've been shooting with digital M's and a Pentax DSLR and my phone. I love these cameras, even the phone, and am really happy with my present setup. I made this decision for a simple reason--my film workflow was just too time-consuming. I enjoyed it, but I am really busy. I was leaving rolls undeveloped for months, and meanwhile my digital shots were processed and up on flickr immediately.

All that said, I miss having a film M. Kind of a lot. Mostly, and this may seem ridiculous, I miss advancing the film. That's really what it comes down to. I miss the feel of the film advance on my M2 and the turning of the gears. I miss rewinding.

I'm trying to figure out a way to make it feasable to bring film back into my life. My present fantasy goes like this:

1) M4-P.
2) Replace advance lever with M2/3/P style. (This can be done, right? I had it done to an M7, years ago. Can I do it myself?)
3) Buy a zillion rolls of whatever the current Freestyle rebadged tri-x is, and keep it in the deep freeze.
4a) Rodinal stand, Epson flatbed. or:
4b) Send film someplace for developing and scanning.

That's it. 4a sounds possible but am I really going to re-buy a changing bad and hewes reels and all that? I suppose maybe I can.

Is there anyone who does a really good, affordable job with 4b?

Thoughts?

I would not dwell on model specifics for the Leica. If film is what you want back, get any working Leica camera with a very good lens if you want to use Leica equipment.

Why not re-start with a good ol' Nikon FT something ?
Get the 50 1.4, it's excellent.
When you don't want it, just sell it back for the exact same price.

I don't want to learn a new camera system! If I go back into film, it will be with another Leica. Not looking for camera body advice, seriously. I googled and found I can easily swap the advance lever if I like, and the M4-P seems like a good bet for the framelines. (I am presently in love with my 75 Summarit.)

I'm mostly concerned with workflow, the reason I left film. How feasable is it to keep things quick and simple?

Why the M4-P if what you want is the M3/M2 advance lever then get a M2, or M3?

Again, framelines. Also, I'd like a black one, and black M2/3's, even repaints, seem rather pricey these days. But seriously, the body's not the point.

If the film work flow is too time consuming then consider shooting C41 and sending it out for processing and scanning.

Is XP2 still a going concern?

Go the 4a route. For B&W having control over development and making nice flat scans as a beginning point are key. It's tge one thing digital is missing. I like the color work you show in flikr. If one was to predict I would say that the M9 will do the color work and this "new" film kit the B&W. Scanning 24 at a time on the Epson V700 is not such a chore.... honest.

Buy film. Shoot film. Send to NCPS. Get back the best budget scans around. Repeat.

OK, now you're talking! That's the kind of thing I wanted to know. Their B&W developing is the same price as their C41, so I could save several bucks a roll shooting Arista trix. Scans are cheap too. The budget scans might even be adequate for my very meagre printing needs.

http://www.northcoastphoto.com/Ken_Rockwell_Scans.pdf

get an R-D1 :)

You laugh, but I might someday. I used to have one, it was great! My backup digi body is presently an original M8 but it doesn't get much use.

Last edited:
1) M4-P.
2) Replace advance lever with M2/3/P style. (This can be done, right? I had it done to an M7, years ago. Can I do it myself?)
3) Buy a zillion rolls of whatever the current Freestyle rebadged tri-x is, and keep it in the deep freeze.
4a) Rodinal stand, Epson flatbed. or:

You pretty much describe what I'm doing. Yes, you can replace the advance lever easily. M4P or M6: biggest bang for the buck if you need 28/75.

Go for it.

Roland.

Go the 4a route. For B&W having control over development and making nice flat scans as a beginning point are key. It's tge one thing digital is missing. I like the color work you show in flikr. If one was to predict I would say that the M9 will do the color work and this "new" film kit the B&W. Scanning 24 at a time on the Epson V700 is not such a chore.... honest.

Are the scans adequate, in your opinion? The two problems here are 1) I'd have to spend an extra 600 clams on the scanner, and 2) I'd want to buy 24-exposure rolls. It'd be nice to be able to do contact sheets, though. I could always start out sending negs to North Coast and eventually spring for the scanner, if I want.

thanks for the flickr compliment!

You just need a good labs that do scan :) Im not familiar but NY gotta have more than one decent lab around, get to know them so they take care of your film :)

Why not just go all in? Sell the digital stuff. Buy a Coolscan 9000, m body of your choice, the tanks, the changing bag etc etc. Self develop and scan isn't that hard, and if you don't enjoy it, you might not actually enjoy film.

Back