I hate my new D700 gear; ergo, I really do hate digital

I have been into Digital for years, going from a D50 to a D80 to a D700. So I feel I can honestly say after using several Nikon DSLR that the D700 is an instant classic as far as DSLRs go. It does absolutely whatever I want it to do. High ISO in particular is what sets it apart. I agree with the previous poster, who recommended AI or pre AI man. focus lenses.
The AF is nice when you are shooting a sporting event, but it really makes you lazy. I started losing interest until I put on a nikkor 50mm 1.4 prime (forces you to shoot fully manual, if you weren't already). My camera was transformed! My passion was reborn. That feeling of just not knowing for sure what it's going to look like; of actually having to think about my shots first.
This quickly prompted me to break out all of my old film cameras and start shooting with them again. I had forgotten how much more fun it is to photograph instead of just point and shoot. Now I can say I have found a happy balance. I shoot a little more film now than digital; but when I need thousands of crazy high quality images of an event I will use the D700. Because there really is nothing better in digital, in my opinion. Unless you are a soccer mom and need to be able to record video of your kid's at Chuck-E-Cheese. Then get any of the newer DSLR's.

For anyone considering using a manual focus lens on a D700 mounting a non ai lens is not a good idea. Consult your owners manual regarding compatible lens types.

Bob

Back