I have a Contax at last

davidswiss

Established
Local time
5:22 AM
I found a not too bad IIa at auction a while ago and recently got it back from
Ed Trzoska at Euro Photographic who serviced it and the 50mm f1.5 it came with.
It focusses easily, the speed changes correctly and it's a joy to use. Just waiting now for some developed films.
Also on the lookout for a 35mm to go with the 50mm it has at the moment, so if anyone has an idea where to get one lease let me know.

It focusses easily, the speed changes correctly and it's a joy to use. Just waiting now for some developed films.
Also on the lookout for a 35mm to go with the 50mm it has at the moment, so if anyone has an idea where to get one lease let me know.

I've got a nice, fully serviced 35/2.8 Biogon up for sale on eBay right now.

(Well, he did say to let him know where he could get one:))

Larry a lot of ebay adverts appear when I search. Which is yours and will it also appear in the "for sale" section here ??

It's the bargain one with 16 watchers. I will send you a PM, not sure what the ethical protocol is here since I don't have it advertised here.

I guess you are aware that only later Opton Biogons fit IIa/IIIa whereas older Contax II/III can take all versions, also "Jena" Biogons? Jupiter-12 won't fit the IIa either since it is essentially a copy of earlier Biogon.

I found Opton Biogon prices quite high thus I opted for a W-Nikkor-C 3,5cm/f3,5 for my IIa. I think it is a good little lens and it should be possible to find out one around 300-400€ in relatively good condition. There are also other versions of that Nikkor with larger aperture but the price will then go up as well. Quickly googling I was able to find a few around 400€ on some shops.

AFAIK there IS a small deviation affecting focusing between Nikon S-mount and Contax RF mount, but on wider focal lengths I've understood it will not be meaningful. At least I have not found out any issues using my W-Nikkor-C with II nor IIa.

I guess you are aware that only later Opton Biogons fit IIa/IIIa whereas older Contax II/III can take all versions, also "Jena" Biogons? Jupiter-12 won't fit the IIa either since it is essentially a copy of earlier Biogon.

I found Opton Biogon prices quite high thus I opted for a W-Nikkor-C 3,5cm/f3,5 for my IIa. I think it is a good little lens and it should be possible to find out one around 300-400€ in relatively good condition. There are also other versions of that Nikkor with larger aperture but the price will then go up as well. Quickly googling I was able to find a few around 400€ on some shops.

AFAIK there IS a small deviation affecting focusing between Nikon S-mount and Contax RF mount, but on wider focal lengths I've understood it will not be meaningful. At least I have not found out any issues using my W-Nikkor-C with II nor IIa.

Thanks for the info. I had looked at these but was told the nikon50mm could be used but the wider angles didn't focus correctly. If they are ok then I shall widen my search.

Thanks for the info. I had looked at these but was told the nikon50mm could be used but the wider angles didn't focus correctly. If they are ok then I shall widen my search.

It's exactly the opposite. Only wide angle lenses are interchangeable between Nikon and Contax without noticeable focus issues.

However, Nikon sold their telephoto lenses for Contax mount as well. They are specifically engraved 'C' on the barrel, so you know it's made for Contax mount. I believe there are four lenses in this category: 8.5cm f/1.5, 8.5cm f/2, 10.5cm f/2.5, and 13.5cm f/3.5. There are some oddball teles like the 10.5cm f/4 and 13.5cm f/4 but I am not sure they were ever made for Contax.

Nikkor 50mm on a Contax, you can probably get away with as long as you don't open up more than f/4 or focus too closely.

For 35mm on the Contax IIA, here are all the options I can think of:
-35/2.8 Contax Biogon (post-war version)
-35/3.5 Contax Planar
-35/2.5 Voigtlander SC-Skopar
-35/1.8 Nikkor
-35/2.5 Nikkor
-35/3.5 Nikkor
-35/2.8 Komura/Tanar/Soligor
-35/3.5 Atco

Don't forget the viewfinder as well!

It's exactly the opposite. Only wide angle lenses are interchangeable between Nikon and Contax without noticeable focus issues.

However, Nikon sold their telephoto lenses for Contax mount as well. They are specifically engraved 'C' on the barrel, so you know it's made for Contax mount. I believe there are four lenses in this category: 8.5cm f/1.5, 8.5cm f/2, 10.5cm f/2.5, and 13.5cm f/3.5. There are some oddball teles like the 10.5cm f/4 and 13.5cm f/4 but I am not sure they were ever made for Contax.

Nikkor 50mm on a Contax, you can probably get away with as long as you don't open up more than f/4 or focus too closely.

For 35mm on the Contax IIA, here are all the options I can think of:
-35/2.8 Contax Biogon (post-war version)
-35/3.5 Contax Planar
-35/2.5 Voigtlander SC-Skopar
-35/1.8 Nikkor
-35/2.5 Nikkor
-35/3.5 Nikkor
-35/2.8 Komura/Tanar/Soligor
-35/3.5 Atco

Don't forget the viewfinder as well!
Thanks for this.
I note you recommend the postwar contax biogon. Is the prewar version one to be avoided ?

Thanks for this.
I note you recommend the postwar contax biogon. Is the prewar version one to be avoided?

It does not work on the Contax iia or iiia. The rear element sticks out and will interfere with the shutter. I believe this also may apply to the Jupiter 12. Zeiss had to redesign the lens when they introduced the post war Contax rangefinders.

Congrats on getting the Contax rangefinder! I have had a lot of fun shooting my Contax iia.

According to Yuri at fedka.com, the Jupiter 12 will not fit on a postwar Contax such as your IIa. A pity, since it's a great lens.

Thanks to all who replied so far. I am still looking for a 35mm so if you see any looking lost please let me know.
Regards, David.

A quick 'n' dirty search in different international electronic bays & 2nd hand optics shops today yielded that Zeiss-Opton (W. German) Biogons tend to be expensive beasts around 500 USD and well above, and the Nikons likewise, whereas you may be able to find Voigtlaender SC Skopars a bit cheaper, starting around some 300 USD. Upon import, beware of taxes and fees, however, because the Skopars were made in Japan, and the cheaper ones from there could become expensive in the after market bureaucracy.

I now have a wide angle, a 21mm f4 Voigtlander sc skopar arrived on Friday courtesy of jamesliapop of this parish. I'm waiting for the cloud and mist to clear so that I can get some mountains and lakes into the picture.
Still looking for a 35mm.

There is also a Zeiss Planar 35mm f3.5, and a Zeiss jenra orthometar 35mm
Both of these are harder to find, but may be less expensive.
The 3.5cm nikkor is also excellent.

Back