i Love C-Sonnar 50/1.5

5876984882_9b4fa5325f_z.jpg

The C Sonnar is a great handling lens and much lighter and more compact than my version 2 Summilux. Love the bayonet hood mount. Love the hood. It has almost entirely displaced my Summicron and I can't think that those who insist it is a special purpose lens only have actually used one much.

I'm loving the photos on this thread. They dispel the image of this lens as a specialty lens. A general question for the posters here: have you had your lens optimized for 1.5, or 2.8?

My M8 has the C-Sonnar on it, the M9 has the 1936 Sonnar 5cm F1.5 on it.

Less saturation, same retro look.

I briefly had one, but ended up chickening out without even using it and returned it. I don't like those aluminum lenses, I don't find them user friendly. I really like the lower saturation of old glass, so much easier to PP. Maybe one day again...

I have to find this shot I took at the very beginning. I shot a friend at contre-jour and she ended up glowing like a light bulb...Never had it happen again...

I'm loving the photos on this thread. They dispel the image of this lens as a specialty lens. A general question for the posters here: have you had your lens optimized for 1.5, or 2.8?

I have left mine optimized for 2.8 and really like it that way. It does not take long to learn to compensate for the focus shift. And, I think the lens is more versatile when optimized for 2.8.

.... I can't think that those who insist it is a special purpose lens only have actually used one much.

+1 I am mystified by the "special purpose" refrain used to describe the C-Sonnar as well. I guess it'll help keep the price down ;)

Wonderful pics, everyone!

A good lens, wish it had a bit less saturation. Can have a very nostalgic feel at certain apertures. Definitely a cure to Summiluxes at the current rates.. (Cured my wants at least).

I think the C-Sonnar is a better lens than the pre-asph versions of 50 lux, at least the way I use a 50. For example, the C-Sonnar is sharper mid-frame and in the corners (flat field) than the pre-asph lux pretty much at all apertures.

Back