i Love C-Sonnar 50/1.5

5876984882_9b4fa5325f_z.jpg

Michael, that´s lovely! Really!
le

Thank you very much..Umcelinho and Bidnez.
My lens is optimised for 1.5.
Its a recent copy and I subscribe to the theory that the recent ones are all optimised in such a way although I know that there has been some discussion about this .

Michael

Last edited by a moderator:
How would you describe how you use a 50?

I don't frame the subjects consistently in the center, which is where the pre-asph lux is very good. IMHO, there is a greater and more dramatic decrease in sharpness mid-frame from the lux 50 compared to the c-sonnar. I think this is why the pre-asph has a certain "fullness" in its center that drops off quickly. Off-center subjects look better to me using the c-sonnar.

If you compare the mtf charts for the 2 lenses, you'll see what I mean. The C-sonnar has a more gentle transition in contrast/sharpness from the center across the frame.

I sound like a specs geek here, big-time. I'm a sonnar fan, that's all, attracted to focus shift like a moth to light ...

Last edited:
Reactions: JMF
On the day that I got the lens I thought that I`d better see what this focus shift was all about so I loaded up a short length of Fomapan ,opened the lens up and shot at min focus distance.

5807968679_470b94b6b7_z.jpg

Sorry for the bad scan.

Reactions: JMF
good lord, gentlemen, this thread just keeps getting stronger ...

great stuff, joe. what don't you shoot well? michael, i think that's just the kind of wide open imaging zeiss had in mind when they designed the c-sonnar. classic.

Mike, good info. I tend to not center subjects in the frame but instead place them on the corners or divide the frame in thirds. I have been looking for a great modern compact 50 and maybe the sonnar will be just what i'm looking for... the other 50 i will be using is a Canon 50/0.95, and the two seem to be very complementary. now i just need to find one for sale, the shops i usually buy from doesn't carry it in stock..

umcelinho; said:
double wow... :)

horosu; said:
Superb shot, Helen. The Sonnar is just so mellow ....

kdemas; said:
Nice Helen! She also bears a slight resemblance to Cameron Diaz, which is hard not to like :)

Oh Wow ...just peeked back at this Thread
Drooling over sooo Many Fab shots
Such a Great lens..probably In the Top Five of RF BEST lenses !!

Thanks ever so Much Umcelinho, Horosu & kdemas
for your Lovely Comments...:D, :), :cool:

Best to You - H

I love this lens! Nice and compact, beautiful colours, in fact, this lens made me do colour again instead of only black & white.

Mine is optimised for 2.8, and I will have it modified, because I really can not get any sharp photos at 1.5.

Making me really lust after this lens! Probably a good thing none are available so I don't blow a lot of money. ;)

Hi i just can´t live without a c-sonnar, had crons lux´s and let them go, but my c-sonnar once gone had to be back again.
After all is the most small and fast lens around, not to say about it´s performance even wide open.

check these shots, of course i don´t add contrast nor sharpness on PP.

6210555239_3497b31019_z.jpg

5410378242_d7f963c826_z.jpg

6220510255_28eeb4f95c_z.jpg

6221031318_b05552847e_z.jpg

Cheers

Back