Ignore list is not working.

I think for fun, should the ignore function be made operable again, each member's ignore list should be made public in his/her profile. Wouldn't that be a bun fight?

I think for fun, should the ignore function be made operable again, each member's ignore list should be made public in his/her profile. Wouldn't that be a bun fight?

In all honesty I don't think in this forum the ignore lists are either long or used that much anyways.

Maybe, but years ago, in less discrete and more tumultuous times here on RFF, people would go, "Hurumphh!" and declare so-and-so was now on their ignore list. It was fun to see.

It doesn't work...

I wonder why. It is certainly an option which can be enabled in this version of vBulletin. There are a couple of people who are photobombing the threads, and I would just as soon not have to wade through all their photos. They seem to think that people want to look at every photo they have ever taken, good, bad, or indifferent. Apparently, they were not getting enough views in the Gallery, so they decided to post them in threads so you would have to look at them if you were reading along. Self-editing is fast becoming a lost art. Cleanup on aisle 5.

I wonder why. It is certainly an option which can be enabled in this version of vBulletin. There are a couple of people who are photobombing the threads, and I would just as soon not have to wade through all their photos. They seem to think that people want to look at every photo they have ever taken, good, bad, or indifferent. Self-editing is fast becoming a lost art. Cleanup on aisle 5.

I understand your point, but for me this is mostly a design issue. I would rather have a limit or setting on the image size as it appears in the forum. If someone wants to see a larger version they can just click on it. That would make it much easier going through the various posts.

Given this is a photography forum, if someone is ever start working on this again, I would rather first fix the picture gallery at the top of the landing page. Great as these pictures might be, they now only leave me with an uncomfortable feeling of abandonment.

I understand your point, but for me this is mostly a design issue. I would rather have a limit or setting on the image size as it appears in the forum. If someone wants to see a larger version they can just click on it. That would make it much easier going through the various posts.

Given this is a photography forum, if someone is ever again start working on this again, I would rather first fix the picture gallery at the top of the landing page. Great as these pictures might be, they now only leave me with an uncomfortable feeling of abandonment.

I would support this. First thing I do before logging in is collapsing the gallery and forums menu on the homepage. Been looking at the same people for months now when landing on RFF.

I take self editing very seriously. I go out almost everyday with a camera in hand. I love taking pictures. When I leave the house, usually around 9:00 am, with the rig du jour, I have a wonderful day walking around taking photos. I'll stop for coffee somewhere, later enjoy lunch, then it’s back home to transfer my JPEGs to my PC and start the process of elimination.

I used to fancy myself as a poet and a writer. I’m uneducated, I learned to write the same way people learn to play music by ear. I never knew where I stood in life until the internet came along and I could see how well others articulated their thoughts, how impressive their vocabularies were, how clever they could be. And, how cruel they could be with a twist of a phrase, like a twist of a knife and some salt in a wound.

Anyway, back to self editing. If I take 70 pictures on my daily walk, I'll whittle that amount down to less than 30 or so after I look at them on the PC. Many that I delete will be respectable but boring. Many will be redundant. What's left over I’ll park for a day or two and then give them a second look and delete even more. The final keepers will be posted on my blog and a few of them will be posted here on RFF.

So, the bottom line is this, if you see a picture posted on RFF by me, there was a lot of thought put into it. I respect the RFF members too much to just throw spaghetti at the wall and hope something good sticks and the crap slides down the wall and goes unnoticed. I hope the other members here feel the same way about what they post.

All the best,
Mike

On the one hand, I think it's a positive thing that members of the forum post photos here, though some do it so prolifically that it's hard to find the contributions by other members. This could justify use of an "ignore list."

Mike, I don't see you as one of these "over-posters." You post a lot, without monopolizing, and I can see the judicious process behind your work. I appreciate your posts.

- Murray

I take self editing very seriously. I go out almost everyday with a camera in hand. I love taking pictures. When I leave the house, usually around 9:00 am, with the rig du jour, I have a wonderful day walking around taking photos. I'll stop for coffee somewhere, later enjoy lunch, then it’s back home to transfer my JPEGs to my PC and start the process of elimination.

I used to fancy myself as a poet and a writer. I’m uneducated, I learned to write the same way people learn to play music by ear. I never knew where I stood in life until the internet came along and I could see how well others articulated their thoughts, how impressive their vocabularies were, how clever they could be. And, how cruel they could be with a twist of a phrase, like a twist of a knife and some salt in a wound.

Anyway, back to self editing. If I take 70 pictures on my daily walk, I'll whittle that amount down to less than 30 or so after I look at them on the PC. Many that I delete will be respectable but boring. Many will be redundant. What's left over I’ll park for a day or two and then give them a second look and delete even more. The final keepers will be posted on my blog and a few of them will be posted here on RFF.

So, the bottom line is this, if you see a picture posted on RFF by me, there was a lot of thought put into it. I respect the RFF members too much to just throw spaghetti at the wall and hope something good sticks and the crap slides down the wall and goes unnoticed. I hope the other members here feel the same way about what they post.

All the best,
Mike

Mike, I like your editing process. ;)

A professional photographer friend of mine once told me that one of the the best ways to become a good photographer is not to show other people any bad photos. :).

A friend of mine used to order the little McDonald’s hamburgers without onions because they’d have to make them fresh — their default was to make them ahead of time and let them sit under the heat lamps, with onions. Ordering without onions resulted in freshly made burgers.

I’ve read through this entire thread…this is the only piece of useful advice in here…

A professional photographer friend of mine once told me that one of the the best ways to become a good photographer is not to show other people any bad photos. :).

The variation I have heard is that your ability as a photographer will be judged by your least successful photograph.

I am not calling out anyone in particular and am not discouraging anyone from posting whatever they want as often as they want. I am just asking the owner to implement the feature in the forum software that would allow me to tailor my viewing experience.

I wonder if this is on their to do list?

It is probably not on his to do list, if he has a to do list. It was brought to his attention last October when he switched over to the new software, and he has not acknowledged the problem. The ignore function worked on the old software. The ignore function works on other sites running vBulletin software.

People are not good at judging their own photos. Even pros I know have editors. The worse photos I have ever seen were from various Leica photography groups on Facebook.

I can't speak for the other commenters/complainers in here, but I will say this: your photos, even when not necessarily to my personal taste, are at least relevant - i.e. in the right place (such as the various W/NW threads).

I think the issue is when there's a technical/discussion post going on and someone uses it as an excuse to dump a photo into the thread without even contributing to the conversation. Even if it's a great photo, it's tiresome to constantly have an ongoing discussion derailed in such a way.

Is the Sys Owner/SysAdm considering activating the vBulletin ignore list functionality or is this wish dead and buried?

Back