Industar LTM Industar-22 ?

Industar M39 lenses

Red Robin

It Is What It Is
Local time
4:54 PM
Anyone used the Soviet Elmar copy? I've seen some examples for sale I do understand that some older ones might harm Canon RF's Is this one of those? Thanks, Red Robin

I got several I-22 lenses and they work fine on my Canon bottomloaders.
The later Canons like the 7 or the P might cause a bit of a problem on the shutter curtain side shields, but only if you collapse the lens when mounted on these cameras.

I had one previously and it was good lens. I just bought another, it too is good.

For the price, they're definitely worth having IMO.

It can run rings around a typical Elmar in terms of colour and contrast.

I meant: is it collapsible without any problem with the Canon 7? When I owned an Leica III f, I used it with various declinations of this lens: FED 50, Industar 22 and 50. It is shure a great lens.

I can say from experience my Fed 50 does not work on my Canon or Leica. The cam that pushed the rangefinder is smaller in diameter or thinner because it falls under the cam causing the focusing to jam. It's best to be able to try it out or have a return option.

I can say from experience my Fed 50 does not work on my Canon or Leica. The cam that pushed the rangefinder is smaller in diameter or thinner because it falls under the cam causing the focusing to jam. It's best to be able to try it out or have a return option.

You may have one of the FED"50" (I-10) lenses originally meant to be used for the prewar FED-1. The RF cam on these lenses were non-standard and each lens needed a special adjustment to work on the camera they were attached to. Some of the immediate post war FED 50/I-10 also came this way.

If the aperture scale on the FED50 reads "3,5. 4,5. 6,3. 9...." and the lens appears uncoated, this will likely mean that the lens will not mount, couple, or focus properly with any LTM camera following the Leica standard.

The later FED-50/I-10 were revised to conform with Leica standards. Those found with FED-2 (no spring loaded lock on the infinity tab, just a notched clip) will focus properly with Leica and copies.

The collapsible Industars will collapse nicely in Canons. I never had problems with them on the Barnack type Canon, and seen them work well on Canon P and 7.

You may have one of the FED"50" (I-10) lenses originally meant to be used for the prewar FED-1. The RF cam on these lenses were non-standard and each lens needed a special adjustment to work on the camera they were attached to. Some of the immediate post war FED 50/I-10 also came this way.

If the aperture scale on the FED50 reads "3,5. 4,5. 6,3. 9...." and the lens appears uncoated, this will likely mean that the lens will not mount, couple, or focus properly with any LTM camera following the Leica standard.

The later FED-50/I-10 were revised to conform with Leica standards. Those found with FED-2 (no spring loaded lock on the infinity tab, just a notched clip) will focus properly with Leica and copies.

The collapsible Industars will collapse nicely in Canons. I never had problems with them on the Barnack type Canon, and seen them work well on Canon P and 7.

Strangely enough, it's a later model Fed 50 that came on a Fed 2. It has the coated elements and the aperture scale reads "3.5, 4, 5.6, 8, 11, 16". I think its just "one of those" lenses that don't work too well with other bodies. I've been temped in the past to pick up an Industar lens as a light weight option to use on my other cameras.

Strangely enough, it's a later model Fed 50 that came on a Fed 2. It has the coated elements and the aperture scale reads "3.5, 4, 5.6, 8, 11, 16". I think its just "one of those" lenses that don't work too well with other bodies. I've been temped in the past to pick up an Industar lens as a light weight option to use on my other cameras.

Some of these lenses are "frankenlenses" which were assembled from left over parts by people who couldn't change a tire without losing the lug nuts. Some of the lenses I have found are suitable only for paperweight duty, whiles others were outstanding picture-takers,

If the aperture scale on the FED50 reads "3,5. 4,5. 6,3. 9...." and the lens appears uncoated, this will likely mean that the lens will not mount, couple, or focus properly with any LTM camera following the Leica standard

Hmmm, I have an uncoated I50 with the "odd" scale and I just compared the cam to my Elmar and they are identical....I have used it on my IIIc and IIIa Leicas with no issues.

ZorkiKat,.......... is it possible that they made some older I50's to conform to Leica specs? I have had this lens for years and used it

Also, how does the uncoated glass compare?

Thanks!!

Last edited:
I used a FED 50 lens (54 vintage) with some success on my M6 by using an m-mount adapter and hacking off the infinity lock.

it was most likely coated, but I only got two or three rolls out of it before the aperture ring became loose and useless. need to fix it somehow.

nice colors.

R004-F17 by lightcapturestudio, on Flickr

Last edited:
What about a Canon VT?

I'm desperately in need of glass for mine. I have a Summicron 50/2, but it has cleaning marks and I don't wanna get it CLA'd.

I'm looking at:
Industar-22 (collapsible preferably)
Industar-69
Jupiter-8

I just need to know for sure if these lenses will cause any problems if I mount them on my VT.

Thank you all!

Back