Initial impressions Sigma dp2m

Back to the DP2M

some more foibles:

*No way to view monochrome on the LCD when shooting in RAW mode. Monochrome view is available only when shooting exclusively in jpeg--now what's the point of that?

*Since there is an external VF, it would be nice to have a way to turn the LCD off completely (with a hard button toggle to turn it back on).

*Since there is an external VF, it would be nice to have a way to turn the LCD off completely (with a hard button toggle to turn it back on).

U can cycle thru the LCD display modes. There are two modes that are usefull for using the vf.
- info only similar to Fuji xp1 style default
- no LCD active at all

On your other point. I agree w/ the monochrome in jpg only issue.. I use it all the time on the Fuji.

Gary

Where do you find "no LCD active at all"?

I think all digital non-SLR cameras have this LCD mode, from ancient times - don't they? At least all my relics workd thus way, DP1 including. LCD wakes up when settings are changed, though.

I think all digital non-SLR cameras have this LCD mode, from ancient times - don't they? At least all my relics workd thus way, DP1 including. LCD wakes up when settings are changed, though.

Maybe the problem is that we need to define terms? I'm talking about having the LCD off during shooting, not during review.

The only LCD-related settings on my DP2M are called "LCD Brightness" and "LCD Off". The former does not allow the LCD to be turned off completely during shooting, only dimmed. The latter only covers automatic shut-off time, the lowest figure being 10 seconds. It does not allow the LCD to be turned off during shooting.

I have updated to the latest firmware.

Where do you find "no LCD active at all"?

Bottom right button can be used to cycle thru all the view modes, one press at a time.
- Normal LCD
- normal w/ histogram
- LCD w/ just af bracket and nothing else
- LCD off
- LCD in info only mode

Cheers
Gary

Follow up on why I was against 21

Follow up on why I was against 21

Given the 28 (19) is a 2.8 as well and is not in the same class as the 45 equiv in terms of iq but still a very good lens. My thinking was a 21 would most likely need to be a f4 or 5.6 lens in order to have good iq w/o an outrageous price point. A 24 has a better chance at keeping the cost reasonable and may be able to keep it at f2.8, f4 at worst.

Gary

Bottom right button can be used to cycle thru all the view modes, one press at a time.
- Normal LCD
- normal w/ histogram
- LCD w/ just af bracket and nothing else
- LCD off
- LCD in info only mode

Cheers
Gary
Brilliantt!!
Gary, you da man!
Although I am quite proficient at French (yet still less so than at Chinese and Japanese), I haven't spent the time to learn the photography-related vocabulary in French (the language in which the manual was shipped).
This is a big help.

Given the 28 (19) is a 2.8 as well and is not in the same class as the 45 equiv in terms of iq but still a very good lens. My thinking was a 21 would most likely need to be a f4 or 5.6 lens in order to have good iq w/o an outrageous price point. A 24 has a better chance at keeping the cost reasonable and may be able to keep it at f2.8, f4 at worst.

Gary

f/4 would be fine for my needs. When I use a 21 or 24 on film, it is either the ZM C Biogon, maximum opening f/4.5, or the Leica Elmar M 24, opening of f/3.8. And that's on Velvia 50.

I could live with a DP1M Super Wide at 21/4 efov.

Maybe the problem is that we need to define terms? I'm talking about having the LCD off during shooting, not during review.

No problem at all - I were talking about same button Garry describes, with something similar to display on it. I assure you this thing exists since 3mpix digicams.

I think it's kind of pointless to switch off LCD during review, isn't it?

No problem at all - I were talking about same button Garry describes, with something similar to display on it. I assure you this thing exists since 3mpix digicams.

I think it's kind of pointless to switch off LCD during review, isn't it?

I've been mostly film until recently.
My Fuji F20 doesn't have this feature :eek:
And with the M8 and R-D1, it was obvious.

Kudos to having you guys around!

Last sample :D

Last sample :D

Picture taken at f5.6 iso 200. Another raw converted to tiff 16. Run thru my normal aperture default script.

8125984503_db0c56ebec_b.jpg

And 100% crop

8126008514_31722996dd_b.jpg

As always real tiff looks better then the Flickr jpg.

Gary

My flight into NYC keeps getting delayed, so my purchase of the DP2m keeps getting delayed. I'm living vicariously through you guys. Thanks. :)

My flight into NYC keeps getting delayed, so my purchase of the DP2m keeps getting delayed. I'm living vicariously through you guys. Thanks. :)

Given the mess from hurricane sandy, be safe... Did u guys make it back to US yet or sitting at Norita?

Gary

Given the mess from hurricane sandy, be safe... Did u guys make it back to US yet or sitting at Norita?

Gary

No, I'm still in Osaka at my girlfriends parents house. Nice weather here. Just stressed about getting back otherwise. Flight keeps getting delayed, which is obviously the smart thing for them to do. I'm sure JFK isn't accepting traffic. Keep those dp2m photos coming. :)

A lot of flight to east coast got cancelled today from sfo.. I posted some on the monochrome DP Merrill thread as well...

Gary

Added dp1m as well

Added dp1m as well

I decided that I like the dp2m enough to add the dp1m as well :p

Btw I tried batch processing 7 Raws to tiff 16, it worked fine w/o crashing. Still importing to Aperture where I do all my real work.
The 19 is not as good as the 30 at the edges, but it is still really good.. Anyway u can judge for yourself. As usual tiff 16 run thru my default aperture script...

Gary

Full size at same distance from wall as the shot from dp2m. 100% crops to follow.

8148467029_31b3efe500_b.jpg

Ps this was taken at f5.6..same as the dp2m shot.

Last edited:
Back