Initial impressions Sigma dp2m

Snapshoot

Snapshoot

To samurais this camera I can say – The amazing files worth the time that you need to be on the computer.:bang:

Small size and Jpeg but…
index.php

I finally made a print from the DP2m and all I have to say is wow. It's 20x30" and I can see every single little detail (even the smallest background text) and no artifacts of any kind. Amazing camera really.

I also made prints at this size from the M8 with a 35mm C-Biogon and a M9 with 50mm Summicron for comparison. At this size, the DP2m was the winner in sharpness and resolution. The more shocking thing was that an up rezzed M8 file wasn't to far off from the M9 with regards to sharpness and resolution.

This is why I have been thinking of using the sigma DP Merrill's as my main camera for 2013 and having rx100 as the backup. At the end of the year, how mainly keepers from the sigma dp1 and dp2 Merrill versus the rx100? How many times will I end up forced to use the rx100 due to higher iso requirements? Just those three cameras for the year.

Gary

This is why I have been thinking of using the sigma DP Merrill's as my main camera for 2013 and having rx100 as the backup. At the end of the year, how mainly keepers from the sigma dp1 and dp2 Merrill versus the rx100? How many times will I end up forced to use the rx100 due to higher iso requirements? Just those three cameras for the year.

Gary

That is *just about* where I have landed.

Excepting film, these three are the only cameras I have used in the last ~4 months -though my DP1 is an original.

That is *just about* where I have landed.

Excepting film, these three are the only cameras I have used in the last ~4 months -though my DP1 is an original.

Also a good way to keep me from buying up every new Fuji x-mount lens they release... Actually only the 14 and 27 are on my hit list :D

Gary

Also a good way to keep me from buying up every new Fuji x-mount lens they release...

Well, a few months ago I had basically drawn a line in the sand. To proceed -I was to turn left and go with Fuji or turn right and go with Sony/Sigma (discounting the OM-D). I am happy with my direction but I say that having never tried an X100. I sometimes wonder if I could replace all of them with an X100 -but that is for another thread.

The little RX100 has kept me busy the last few weeks -time to get the DP2M off the shelf.

Well, it is only a matter of time before I grab a DP1m. If LR ever supports it, then they will have taken care of the only bummer this camera gives me at this point.

Well, it is only a matter of time before I grab a DP1m. If LR ever supports it, then they will have taken care of the only bummer this camera gives me at this point.

Adobe, apple and others will follow the money. Right now sigma foveon based cameras are just not popular enough to invest in support. :bang::mad:

Gary

Well, a few months ago I had basically drawn a line in the sand. To proceed -I was to turn left and go with Fuji or turn right and go with Sony/Sigma (discounting the OM-D). I am happy with my direction but I say that having never tried an X100. I sometimes wonder if I could replace all of them with an X100 -but that is for another thread.

The little RX100 has kept me busy the last few weeks -time to get the DP2M off the shelf.

I've had some of those--rx100 was amazing for its size, but ultimately left me cold. XPro had superb IQ but frustrating UX.

I settled on the DP1m as my carry-anywhere friend. I may add a DP2m and have a killer travel duo.

I really enjoy the Sigmas. They do, ahem, falter at high ISOs, though.

It’s been 2 weeks now, and my impression of the DP2M is good, but I’m glad I didn’t sell my DP2. I don’t think we need another review, but the DP2M is bigger than the DP2 and the files are huge. I’ve also notice some distortion which is a bit of a bummer. I don’t think these shortcomings are a deal breaker, but I have a deeper appreciation the DP2.

It’s been 2 weeks now, and my impression of the DP2M is good, but I’m glad I didn’t sell my DP2. I don’t think we need another review, but the DP2M is bigger than the DP2 and the files are huge. I’ve also notice some distortion which is a bit of a bummer. I don’t think these shortcomings are a deal breaker, but I have a deeper appreciation the DP2.

Hmmm... the distortion comment is interesting. Can you add to that?

I do agree with some of your comments. I still have the original DP1 and I am on the fence regarding the size difference with my DP2M. I like both bodies. One thing for sure is that I really miss the wheel.

What I can offer is that I think the earlier releases are really great, underappreciated cameras -quirks and all. The DP1 with its size, brilliant lens, still incredible files at ~15mb, and selling in the 200-300USD range is a veritable steal.

Hmmm... the distortion comment is interesting. Can you add to that?

I do agree with some of your comments. I still have the original DP1 and I am on the fence regarding the size difference with my DP2M. I like both bodies. One thing for sure is that I really miss the wheel.

What I can offer is that I think the earlier releases are really great, underappreciated cameras -quirks and all. The DP1 with its size, brilliant lens, still incredible files at ~15mb, and selling in the 200-300USD range is a veritable steal.

Hey Jeff, I’ll try to post some examples of the distortion when I get home tonight. I just attributed the distortion to the difference in focal lengths(41 to 45) I’m not sure if that makes sense, but I know I didn’t have this problem with the DP2.

The size thing is personal I really like the size of the DP2 and if you factor in handling, the DP2 is the clear winner. Another thing that kind of bugs me is lens position. It just looks weird to me.

All that said, the DP2M is in another league. It is like an almost pocket-able MF camera. The LCD is a lot better. The AF is better, and the lens doesn’t expand/collapse. I guess I’m still attached to the DP2, and I’m dreading the learning curve. Oh yes, the MF wheel will be missed as well !

Smith

I really like this camera. It comes as close to film as one can get with digital.
And it being not bulky, it looks like a point and shoot, but the images I get from it are more pleasing than from my 5D MKIII with L lenses.
Total stealth camera, and images look great.

I snapshoted this evening, btw - this is at an art opening in Portland, books signed by photographer Neil Krug

8276002175_9376d934de_z.jpg

Flickr Image

All that said, the DP2M is in another league. It is like an almost pocket-able MF camera. The LCD is a lot better. The AF is better, and the lens doesn’t expand/collapse.

Sure is... if they ever make a model with high ISO, fast AF, and LR support, I may never use anything else.

Hey Jeff, I’ll try to post some examples of the distortion when I get home tonight. I just attributed the distortion to the difference in focal lengths(41 to 45) I’m not sure if that makes sense, but I know I didn’t have this problem with the DP2.
Smith

*UPDATE*
My copy was defective. I sent it back for an exchange this morning. The main problem was the sensor producing bad files. I don't think this had anything to do with the distortion. After carefully checking my pictures, the ones with the distortion were not level so I may have made a mistake in my critique .

Thanks to Keith, In his dp2m thread today I posted the results from high iso testing I had been meaning to do. I am duplicating it in this thread for completeness.

Quick hand held shots from today.. Nothing special, just picked something that was easy to show color bleed as iso got higher.. ISO 200 to 6400. I did not use any of my normal punchy processing in these shots that are posted. The shots are made using mid size raw (around 22-23mb each), converted to tiff16. Noise setting in the sigma raw processing sw was set at -2 for all three noise values. The b&w were converted from the tiff16 using Silver FX Pro2 - high structure/smooth setting.

ISO 200 @f5.6
8578353974_a987a02f67_b_d.jpg

8577251167_30f53b616d_b_d.jpg

ISO 400 f5.6
8578354584_933768a09f_b_d.jpg

8578354892_6afd1e765a_b_d.jpg

ISO 800 f5.6
8578355152_6990d80368_b_d.jpg

8578355446_ebfd94150f_b_d.jpg

ISO 1600 f8
8578355732_7d1ca288ab_b_d.jpg

8578356132_c327e9d24b_b_d.jpg

ISO 3200 f8
8577253431_e1e9a8bedf_b_d.jpg

8578356720_3670c43dba_b_d.jpg

ISO 6400 f11
8577254063_f3b7de4fe6_b_d.jpg

8577254383_22a009348f_b_d.jpg

Also note that if u use large RAW instead of mid size as I did, I have seen about 1/2 to 2/3 stop improvement in when the color fringing effect starts showing up. I used mid for this test since this is my default normal raw size.. I tend to switch to large when I think the subject matter warrants it.

Gary

Since I cannot post more than 15 images at a time. Here is continuation of images...

The iso 1600 pictures using noise setting in Sigma raw processor of 0 and +2 values...

ISO 1600 f8 noise setting at 0 instead of -2 for all three noise settings
8577359151_291bdf476c_b_d.jpg

8578463900_4b779444d0_b_d.jpg

ISO 1600 f8 noise setting at +2
8577358553_ee4d989540_b_d.jpg

8578463298_79a2e817d3_b_d.jpg

Gary

Some more testing. All noise setting are the same chroma 0 Luminous 0 banding 0. With the new fw update process and the spp monochrome update, b&w seem to do pretty good now. Anyway u judge. These are all shot at f2.8, don't go looking for absolute best sharpness. This lens is at its best around f5.6. Medium size raw and in camera picture setting - contrast -.4 saturation -.2.

What is kind of neat is that the raw image now seems to have a flag that says mono and spp automatically brings up the monochrome dialog. However all the color info is still there. All u need to do is go to color tab to c the color image. The base 0 chroma 0 luminous 0 banding does not seem to have that handy handed feel any longer w/ new version of spp.

Here is the control set of shots at iso 800 noise - color followed by b&w shot. Note that there are tinges of a copper green cast that are iso 400 is not there.

8616044504_49125fa35f_b_d.jpg

8616044738_2ec67b580c_b_d.jpg

The iso 1600 pictures. Note the copper green color shift... It just gets worst after this so no more color shots.

8616044948_ef50b22004_b_d.jpg

8616045124_7aa8a8c42c_b_d.jpg

The iso 3200 shot

8614939331_c4847da7aa_b_d.jpg

Iso 6400

8614939517_85c99d905a_b_d.jpg

I might be imagining, but w/ the new fw and spp versions, iso 1600 b&w looks a bit better than before. Iso 3200 looks about what the previous iso 1600 was and 6400 is quite usable. Color is about the same for, no change is my opinion of acceptable iso usage.

Gary

Gary, that 1600 shot looks really great in black and white.

I need to experiment more, but I think 1600 is really my usual upper limit for B+W.

Having finally got around to putting a battery in the DP2M last night I have to say I'm in shock ... especially after owning an OMD briefly. The menu system is very basic to say the least. :D

And ... it needs a grip. The body is quite slippery in the hands.

Also rather startling to put in an 8gig card and see that you only have 135 exposures available!

Back