Initial impressions Sigma dp2m

Is it not refreshing, Keith?

Beyond the results, the whole user experience is film-like.

Gone is the button/macro/menu fatigue of every other modern camera*.

*Oops ... less the M's!

Is it not refreshing, Keith?

Beyond the results, the whole user experience is film-like.

Gone is the button/macro/menu fatigue of every other modern camera*.

*Oops ... less the M's!

Maybe I have OMD-menu-stress-disorder but I also find the DP2m to be refreshingly easy to operate. Took me a day to figure out you can press the QS button twice to get to another menu and now that's the only button (other than the AF point button) that I use much.

I used to troll ebay for cheap TLRs because I like MF. But since getting the DP2m I have no interest in doing that any more, all I can think is that the money would be better spent on another of the DPxm models. :angel:

Having finally got around to putting a battery in the DP2M last night I have to say I'm in shock ... especially after owning an OMD briefly. The menu system is very basic to say the least. :D

And ... it needs a grip. The body is quite slippery in the hands.

Also rather startling to put in an 8gig card and see that you only have 135 exposures available!

I use a real right stuff grip on my dp Merrill's and x100. I really like them. Jon uses the Franeic ones.

135 shots - is slightly more than 1 battery anyway... Each battery somewhere around 80-100 shots depending on how much chomping u do. No chomping, no LCD active, maybe u can get that many on one battery.

Gary

I use a real right stuff grip on my dp Merrill's and x100. I really like them. Jon uses the Franeic ones.

135 shots - is slightly more than 1 battery anyway... Each battery somewhere around 80-100 shots depending on how much chomping u do. No chomping, no LCD active, maybe u can get that many on one battery.

Gary

I'm still getting over 200 shots (*calculated by repeated shooting focusing on objects near and far) on batteries from China via Switzerland. And I'm waiting on delivery of some batteries promised as 1500mah.

I'm still getting over 200 shots (*calculated by repeated shooting focusing on objects near and far) on batteries from China via Switzerland. And I'm waiting on delivery of some batteries promised as 1500mah.

Who's 1500mah batteries are u using and what is the model number?

Thanks
Gary

Who's 1500mah batteries are u using and what is the model number?

Thanks
Gary

These are the 1500mah batteries I recently ordered. Still haven't received them yet, but will report once I get them (should be next week).

http://cgi.ebay.fr/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...eName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

The other batteries I've been using up to now are supposed to be 1150mah, but they last about twice as long as the Sigma batteries.

http://www.france-batterie-chargeur.fr/batterie-ricoh-gr-digital-iv.htm

Note that none of these batteries will fit in the DP Merrills without modding the slots (an easy mod).

The thing that really sux is the that European charger has an external cord, instead of the fold away prongs on the US adapter. Forced me to go out and order extra duckhead adapters for my European Sigma battery chargers.

These are the 1500mah batteries I recently ordered. Still haven't received them yet, but will report once I get them (should be next week).

http://cgi.ebay.fr/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...eName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

The other batteries I've been using up to now are supposed to be 1150mah, but they last about twice as long as the Sigma batteries.

http://www.france-batterie-chargeur.fr/batterie-ricoh-gr-digital-iv.htm

Note that none of these batteries will fit in the DP Merrills without modding the slots (an easy mod).

The thing that really sux is the that European charger has an external cord, instead of the fold away prongs on the US adapter. Forced me to go out and order extra duckhead adapters for my European Sigma battery chargers.

Thanks for info
Gary

So the 1500mah batteries arrived this morning. Charged 'em up and did a really boring test run. :p Single shot mode continuous shooting, RAW only, alternating between very near and very far focus points, occasionally checking the menu, chimping, etc... This battery lasted 236 shots. Just about the same amount that I've been getting off those other batteries to which I linked above, and quite a bit more than I get under the same test conditions from the Sigma batteries.

So the 1500mah batteries arrived this morning. Charged 'em up and did a really boring test run. :p Single shot mode continuous shooting, RAW only, alternating between very near and very far focus points, occasionally checking the menu, chimping, etc... This battery lasted 236 shots. Just about the same amount that I've been getting off those other batteries to which I linked above, and quite a bit more than I get under the same test conditions from the Sigma batteries.

Thanks Jon.. Good to know.. At least these battery give a life closer to the normal...

Gary

So the 1500mah batteries arrived this morning. Charged 'em up and did a really boring test run. ...... This battery lasted 236 shots.

I think battery has to go through several working cycles to reach max capacity. So potentially results will get better for some longer time (after which it will worsen, but that depends on how it gets used or stored).

I think battery has to go through several working cycles to reach max capacity. So potentially results will get better for some longer time (after which it will worsen, but that depends on how it gets used or stored).

I hope it does get better with cycling.

At least the number of shots is already a lot higher than the double digit figures a lot of people have seen with the Sigma batteries.

I found some batteries on amazon for the Ricoh gr iv that were 1400mah. They are third party branded wasabi. Will give them a try.

Gary

I found some batteries on amazon for the Ricoh gr iv that were 1400mah. They are third party branded wasabi. Will give them a try.

Gary

The wasabi batteries are what everybody in North America is using, but unfortunately they are not available in Europe AFAIK.

Hopefully these batteries will offer an improvement because after today's first outing with the camera I'm in shock! (not really) :D

I was faffing about a fair bit with settings and chimping a lot and had to switch to the second battery after about thirty exposures. LOL

I was also experimenting with the best way to focus and I think I prefer focusing with the AE AF lock button after setting it that way in the options ... certainly for still life situations or similar. It's a very deliberate camera in all of its functions ... but I really like it!

It's a slippery little bugger though so a grip is my next prioroty for sure ... then the Sigma vewfinder.

:) :) :)

Back